one step forward, two steps back

I’ve been debating all evening about whether or not I should post this. But seriously. IT’S JUST TOO GOOD. If Maggie needs therapy later because I put it on the internet… well, I’ll foot the bill.

Tonight I was in the kitchen making dinner (chicken spaghetti, I highly recommend it) and Maggie was in the living room, watching Sesame Street. She would occasionally wander into the kitchen to say hi, or try to climb my leg, or whine at me, or ask for some cheese.

I was dicing an onion, and it had been quiet for a while. I didn’t think much of it (she is often mesmerized by Elmo) until she wandered into the kitchen again. I looked up, and she was completely naked.

I ran into the living room to see where the heck her clothes were. I saw the pile of her clothes and her diaper. I checked the diaper, thinking maybe she had filled it and decided to try to change herself- but it was clean.

Then I saw it.

Over on the floor, in the corner of the sectional couch. Perfectly undisturbed.

On one hand: EEEEEEEEWWWW! On the other hand: we’re actually optimistic that this means she is getting the whole ‘urge’ concept with potty training.

She just doesn’t quite get that you don’t have to take off ALL of your clothes to use the bathroom. And you should, you know, actually USE THE BATHROOM, not the living room floor.

I guess we’ll just consider this potty training thing a work in progress.

1. Mel

April 8, 2009 9:07 am

ah. that just made the start of my day. :)

Mels last blog post: I’m Martha Stewart, yo.

2. Stephanie

April 8, 2009 9:21 am

Lol – Heidi has surprised us by being stark naked a couple of times. Thankfully, no messes though. Although she did manage to get her diaper off in the playpen once when she was 6 months old and THAT experience was absolutely disgusting. I care not to share it :)

Stephanies last blog post: Blog For Sale

3. Burgh Baby

April 8, 2009 11:30 am

You ain’t cool unless you poop on the floor. It’s a fact.

Burgh Babys last blog post: Spring Flowers on the Brain

4. Allison

April 8, 2009 2:39 pm

Bwahahaha. That is too funny.

Allisons last blog post: Wordless Wednesday: Never, Ever, Look Away

5. samantha jo campen

April 8, 2009 4:44 pm

I’m just so thankful you didn’t post a picture.

samantha jo campens last blog post: Bring it!

6. trannyhead

April 8, 2009 11:48 pm

I think a picture would have been hilarious. Gross, but hilarious.

trannyheads last blog post: Beans That Aren’t Green

April 9, 2009 9:01 am

@trannyhead: oh I have one. Just didn’t want to subject the internet to that :) LOL

8. red pen mama

April 9, 2009 10:09 am

believe me the “must be completely naked to go potty” thing does not go away. Don’t fight it, as long as she’s getting to the potty. which, well, she is starting to get the idea. it’s not the last time you’ll have poop on the floor. Although you can hope!

red pen mamas last blog post: Lost Day: Dead Is Dead; Plus: A Bad Dream

9. Nichole

April 10, 2009 5:06 pm

Well, lets just say we need new carpet in the kids room!! thankfully we have hardwood everywhere else!! I now keep a potty in her room!! And one last thing for you thank god you dont have a dog!!! think about that for a minute!!!

10. Rayne

April 15, 2009 12:09 pm

Ha! Gross but hilarious! Welcome to potty training. Thank goodness we haven’t had any incidents like that, but I won’t be surprised if we do at some point.