1 2 3 4… FIVE.

All last week Maggie had a runny nose. Considering she’s two and goes to group daycare twice a week, we didn’t give it much thought. My only worry was, DEAR GOD, PLEASE DON’T LET ME GET IT TOO.

And we made it through the week without either of us getting a cold. YAY!

But apparently there was a good reason for that. This morning, Dan noticed a rash on her neck. We thought it might just be from getting overheated- she had been playing outside all morning (and WOW was it hot today!) After a few hours, it was still there, and while she was busy fighting her nap, I started thinking. Cold symptoms, runny diapers last Wednesday at daycare, bright pink cheeks yesterday after daycare (which we again attributed to playing outside and being warm). It sounded awfully familiar to me, so I did some Google research. Every single thing points to Fifth Disease. I remembered seeing pictures of this last year when she came down with Hand-Foot-Mouth. (oh hi, April: The Month of Obscure Rashy Childhood Illnesses! So nice to see you again! JUST KIDDING.) It rang a bell when I was thinking about what might be wrong with her. Mother’s intuition or whatever.

So there went the plans for today- a birthday party for my cousin’s daughter (who also goes to daycare with Maggie). I have read in multiple places that once the rash appears, she is no longer contagious. But I didn’t want to take the chance around a few of the newborn babies there, plus the other (19!!!!) kids.

She’s actually not acting sick at all. She woke up from her (late) nap completely covered in sweat and absolutely MISERABLE and scratching at her neck. But I think that had more to do with the fact that our house was eleventy billion degrees because I hadn’t yet broken down to turn on the air conditioning (it’s APRIL in PITTSBURGH. I don’t ever remember needing the AC this early!) After about an hour she cooled down and ate dinner and was fine for the rest of the night. The plus side of Fifth Disease is that apparently kids are pretty normal through it- the worst part was probably last week during the cold symptom part, and we just thought it was a normal, run of the mill cold.

So yeah. Awesome. I’m going to call her doctor on Monday just to check if they want to see her or not (I’m guessing no, since it’s a virus and it has apparently run its course by now) but also to ask about going to daycare this week and what our risk is of getting it. Most adults are actually immune, so hopefully we don’t have to worry. Because I have big plans to ride in the car for 5 hours with a pregnant lady on Friday to go visit a Crazy Cat Lady (!!!) and DUDE IF THIS MESSES WITH MY WEEKEND PLANS AND I HAVE TO POSTPONE MY TRIP, I’M GONNA BE REALLY FREAKING MAD.

1. Poor Maggie. :( I’m glad she’s at least feeling ok. Rashes suck though. I got my first sun-allergy rash of the year on my hands today. I had put on sunscreen all over before going out, but later washed my hands after a bathroom break, and within 10 minutes of being back out in the sun: RASH. :(

Hopefully our road trip is still on for next weekend!

Apr 26 12:24 am

2. Fifth’s went through my house a few years ago. The heat and sun make it worse, so stay low today and tomorrow!

Apr 26 10:48 am

3. Fifth disease is also going around in this area (which is weird, because we live very far away!) I thought that might be what Lily had too, but she was apparently allergic to her antibiotics that she was on for her latest ear infection. These kids!

Apr 26 11:26 am

4. mel
    @overdramaticmel

My brother and I had that when we were in elementary school. I was so itchy. :p It doesn’t last long, though!

Apr 26 3:54 pm

5. Poor Maggie!

I know, I can’t believe the weather! I walked outside today and thought “whoa, when did it get to be August?!” — I mean I’m not complaining, it’s just kind of abnormal for around here!

Apr 26 7:17 pm

6. It could also be roseola (sp?) which the rash doesn’t show up until after they’re sick.

If the rash is kind of lacey looking, there’s a chance it could be fifths.

If it is fifths, you have to take her to the Dr to be sure. If there’s a chance that she’s been in contact with a pregnant woman, they’ll need to be contacted as well. Adults can’t contract it easily unless they’re pregnant – it’s really dangerous to pregnant woman (could cause miscarriages). It’s better safe then sorry to get her checked out…

Apr 26 8:03 pm

7. Dave P.
    @davidpryke

I hope Maggie is doing well. My daughter is just getting over Fifth’s right now, too…AND my wife is pregnant. (Due June 28th)

My wife went in for a blood test last week. We hadn’t heard anything, so she just called. Happily, she is immune, so the baby is safe (according to the Doc, anyway.)

Fortunately, my girl didn’t have any major problems with it. Hopefully, Maggie’s itchiness subsides quickly or is easily treatable topically. Best wishes and happy thoughts to her!

Apr 27 3:50 pm

@Dave P.: oh GOSH, having a pregnant wife makes the whole thing that much more interesting (and scary!) Happy to hear she doesn’t have a reason to worry.

Having kids is NEVER dull ;)

Apr 27 3:52 pm

9. Jennifer C

Maybe I shouldn’t have had Miss O lick the laptop while reading your blog. ;-)

She had Fifth Disease last week, too. Awesome looking with her fancy-shmancy communion dress, I might add.

Glad to hear M wasn’t too miserable with it! I think it looks much worse than it feels…

May 4 12:01 pm

@Jennifer C: ha yeah no licking the keyboards! :) You’re right though- it’s mostly just bad looking, not really miserable. She has a worse time with teething!

May 4 1:10 pm