recipe & weight loss tips: breakfast egg burrito

The past month or so has been extremely busy and a bit stressful for me. Not really bad stress, just lots going on. When I get stressed, I eat. And when I’m really busy, I stop exercising. So naturally, these past few weeks, I’ve noticed a bit of a backslide in my weight loss. Nothing major- just a couple of pounds- but I am trying to be really careful not to let things get too out of hand.

So this week, I’m back to watching what I stuff in my face. I’m not officially tracking with Weight Watchers, but I did it for long enough that I can keep a pretty good mental tally through the day on my own.

I always do better when I start my day out with a good breakfast. Cereal is okay- and quick which is great when you have a toddler demanding WAFFLES! and BLUEBERRIES! and MILK! and CEREAL! first thing in the morning (good Lord my kid eats a TON for breakfast) But most cereal is very high in points (carbs!) and I’m usually starving within 2 hours. So I came up with some good alternatives to cereal. One of my favorites is an egg burrito. It’s low in points, delicious, and surprisingly not that involved to make. And it keeps me full for way longer than cereal.

Start with some diced onions and peppers (usually I leave these out unless it’s a day when I’m not in a hurry… which is pretty much just the weekend day I took these pictures. heh) Put them in a skillet sprayed with some cooking spray.

Egg Burrito

You can use real eggs if you prefer, but those are a lot more points/calories. 1/2 cup of egg substitute is only 2 WW points! (1/4 cup = 1 egg)

Egg Burrito

Add the eggs to the skillet.

Egg Burrito

Give it a stir and then add some black pepper. I also add a splash of milk to make the eggs a little more ‘fluffy’.

Egg Burrito

Start it cooking on low-medium heat.

Egg Burrito

When it starts to cook on the edges (usually only takes a minute or so), use a spatula to scramble it all up.

Egg Burrito

While the eggs are cooking some more, get out a wheat tortilla.

Egg Burrito

Microwave it for 10 seconds, just enough to warm it up.

Let’s check the eggs!

Egg Burrito

Everyone likes their eggs cooked to a different extent. I like mine starting to brown a bit. I HATE wet scrambled eggs. GAG.

Load the warmed tortilla with the eggs and top with some cheese (just a little bit, if you’re trying to keep points low!)

Egg Burrito

And now for the best part: KETCHUP. If you don’t like ketchup on your eggs… well, then I can’t be your friend anymore. Sorry.

Egg Burrito

(I kind of went crazy with the ketchup on this one. I usually try to skimp on the ketchup, it’s got a lot of sugar.)

Roll it all up!

Egg Burrito

YUM. Breakfast to go! (Just be careful if you try to eat it in the car… I dripped watery ketchup all over my khakis on my way to an in-office job once and ARGH was I mad.) And it’s only about 4 points.

1. Caity
    @caitysparkles

Oh my gosh I love your recipes! This one looks fantastic! :D

Caitys last blog post: Doctor day.

Apr 6 11:10 pm

2. janet
    @loveisblonde

well, Jen, the time has come…sadly…but we must break up as friends. I know! Before we have even met….because I do not like ketchup on my eggs!!!

lol..kidding..hope you can still find it in you to like me. I make a mean breakfast egg burrito with NO runny eggs in it. We can agree on that point!

janets last blog post: how to skip your daily shampoo without looking homeless

Apr 6 11:15 pm

3. Eggs are George’s only real cooking duty in our kitchen. He gets them perfect, every time. When I make them myself, they’re usually a bit too overcooked. Definitely never runny though… yuck!

And I truly thought you looked like you LOST a few more pounds (in those Easter photos with Maggie)! Does that make up for me not liking ketchup on my eggs?? :)

Melissas last blog post: Protected: running on fumes

Apr 6 11:35 pm

4. When I’m really stressed out I can put on up to 5 lbs. That’s eating exactly the same, and being as active as I normally am. My body just keeps food in the system longer, extracting more and more from it as though it isn’t sure when it’s going to eat next, or that it has to perform some physical miracle.

When the stress breaks the weight comes off over about 3 days.

Backpacking Dads last blog post: Parable

Apr 6 11:37 pm

5. Amanda
    @shameleslysassy

this looks so yummy. Good chance I am having it for breakfast tomorrow.

Amandas last blog post: Dear Allie

Apr 6 11:46 pm

6. Priscilla
    @pgreen730

MMM…I love breakfast burritos! I also love ketchup on my eggs…but only if they are scrambled. Maybe that’s a Pgh thing?! I don’t know…

Great….now I’m hungry.

Priscillas last blog post: Praying for Peace

Apr 7 7:31 am

7. Awww… it’s so sad that a 10 year e-friendship has to come to an end because of the whole ketchup deal. *Sniff*

I <3 ketchup – just not w/ eggs. Otherwise looks very yummy!!

Stephanies last blog post: Protected: I Had an “IN”

Apr 7 9:30 am

8. Looks delish…and suprisingly something I could possibly have the cooking talent to make (no offense)!

Apr 7 10:01 am

9. OOO!!! THAT looks good. I never tried egg substitute, but will definitely look for it.

And I love ketchup and eggs, but I hate to say this, I would probably go with hot sauce on this one.

Irenes last blog post: Mini me

Apr 7 12:17 pm

10. Looks great minus the ketchup…I might go with hot sauce on it though!! :)

Apr 7 12:23 pm

@janet: well I *guess* that would be acceptable ;) I’ll give you a pass on the no ketchup thing, then.

Apr 7 12:26 pm

@Irene and @Dana: Hot sauce is close enough to ketchup, that totally counts! You can still be my friend! ha

Apr 7 12:28 pm

@Melissa: ha such a sweet-talker, you ;) I think most of it has just been going from ‘on my way to being toned from doing yoga regularly’ to ‘Hello Again, Muffin Top!’ Not really noticeable to anyone else, but I can tell (pants fitting differently, etc) I worked so hard to get back here that I am NOT going to let that happen again! heh

Apr 7 12:30 pm

14. Allison
    @AllisonB

Yum! Love it.

And…I can’t do it. Ketchup and eggs just do not go together. But Red Hot? THAT I can do. And do lots and lots of.

Do you use those high fiber tortillas? I love them–if you get the small ones they are either .5 or 0 points, I forget. And they taste good, too!

Allisons last blog post: Naughty Words, Kinda Cute

Apr 7 5:59 pm

@Allison: I forget what kind these are- but I think they’re 1 pt. Any bread product that’s less than 2 points is GREAT for sandwiches :)

Apr 7 6:03 pm