recipe: Stuffed Pepper Soup

mmm what could be better on a cold day than soup? And what’s better than soup? Soup that isn’t really soupy, but more like a chili-type thing. Also: TOPPED WITH CHEESE.

This is a recipe for Stuffed Pepper Soup that I got from my mom. It’s ridiculously simple and amazingly delicious. And it makes a huge amount, so I hope you’re hungry!

The ingredients: onion, green bell pepper, tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, rice, water, salt, pepper, parsley, and brown sugar.

Oh. And ground beef.

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Start by browning the ground beef in a skillet. I usually add some black pepper and maybe a bit of salt or garlic if you have it, just something to flavor the meat while it cooks.

Stuffed Pepper Soup

While the meat is getting going, dice the peppers.

Stuffed Pepper Soup

And do the same with the onion.

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Once it’s cooked through, drain the beef and add it to a large pot. Add the peppers and onions, along with the crushed tomatoes.

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Add the can of tomato sauce…

Stuffed Pepper Soup

And then the rice. I use brown rice, but you can use whatever kind your little heart desires.

Next up is some water.

Add some black pepper.

Stuffed Pepper Soup

And some parsley, salt, and brown sugar.

Stir it up real good!

Stuffed Pepper Soup

And bring it to a boil. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for about an hour.

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Serve topped with shredded cheddar cheese because… well, why not? We also sometimes eat it with tortilla chips, almost like a dip. It’s yummy that way.

1. Caity
    @caitysparkles

Oh my gosh I absolutely love your recipes. It always makes me want to go upstairs and cook this instant. This looks amazing!

Caitys last blog post: I slept past noon today!

Mar 1 1:04 pm

2. Zoinks! OMG! This looks so delicious! I have got to make this!!

Annelis last blog post: Fun with Photoshop Actions!

Mar 1 2:18 pm

3. Kate

I think I found you through Kelly, but I just had to tell you how much I LOVE your recipe postings! I need pictures for my recipes, so the photographs are excellent. I’ve made a few of your things so far and have gotten 2 thumbs up from my hubby!

Mar 1 7:38 pm

4. I was just thinking how unsatisfied I was with dinner… and how hungry I feel when lo, I saw this post. I wish you could send me leftovers! :)

Keelys last blog post: Career Options #1

Mar 1 11:50 pm

5. Well that seems easy enough…sure looks good!

Nap Wardens last blog post: Sick, and Wrong

Mar 3 9:43 am

6. hey – I learned a really cool thing last year – ground beef cooks a heck of lot better in a sauce pan than in a skillet… I just noticed you were using a skillet and thought I’d suggest it for you to try next time… and let me know how it goes!

AND i also wanted to know – how well does Maggie eat all of this wonderful stuff you make? is she a good eater?

looks delicious :)

Stephs last blog post: Mind, Body, Soul

Mar 3 5:18 pm

@Steph: hm, I wonder why ground beef would cook better in a saucepan? And what do you mean by ‘better’? Is it faster? Interesting!

Maggie doesn’t usually eat what we’re eating, lately it’s been all pizza and nuggets, heh. She HATES veggies (except for tomatoes and olives- are olives a veggie? She loves green olives!) She eats a ton of fruit though so I don’t get too worked up about the veggie thing. She does love eggs, but only if they’re plain (I gave her some with green peppers in once and she wasn’t a fan)

Mar 4 10:18 am

8. Emailing myself this recipe! Looks easier than actually stuffing peppers!

Jennifer, Playgroups are no place for childrens last blog post: I’ve been waiting for this day since finding out that I would have a daughter

Mar 5 4:03 pm

@Jennifer, Playgroups are no place for children: oh for sure! All the flavor, none of the work :)

Mar 5 4:30 pm

10. That looks yummy! I must try it!

Mar 7 1:44 pm

11. Janette
    @JanetteZimZim

I tried this recipe and it was DELICIOUS. Thank you for sharing this!

Mar 9 3:58 pm

12. Kristen

For all the Weight Watcher groupies in the house – I cooked this up WW Style last night – I just made one change and swapped 1 pound of lean ground turkey for 2 pounds ground beef. It was 35 points for the whole recipe – or 2.5 points per cup.

Chris was drooling while it was cooking. So yummy! And plenty to freeze for 2 more meals! Awesome, awesome recipe Jen’s Mom!

Mar 11 11:27 am

@Kristen: Awesome! So glad it was a hit- and a great modification for WW! 2.5 points is fantastic.

Hope the babies are doing well! (except I guess they’re not babies so much anymore???!)

Mar 11 12:29 pm