recipe: Chicken Pesto Pasta

This is a favorite meal in our house- Dan loves it, and I love it too. My love for it is only partly because it’s delicious. The other part is that it takes about 20 minutes from start to finish, and who doesn’t love THAT?

Chicken Pesto Pasta

Ingredients: chicken breasts (usually 2-3 depending on their size), a jar of basil pesto (yeah I realize I could make my own, but this is a Quick Meal and this jarred stuff is actually really good, in my opinion), a green pepper, a tomato, and angel hair pasta. Oh and some olive oil for cooking the chicken.

Start by cutting the chicken into strips. Put the chicken into a skillet with some olive oil and ground black pepper. Start it cookin’.

Chicken Pesto Pasta

Dice a green pepper into little bitty pieces. Once the chicken has started cooking a little bit, add the green pepper.

Chicken Pesto Pasta

(oh whoops- first, before you do anything, get some water boiling for the pasta!)

Dump the pasta into the boiling water that you got started before you did anything else. heh.

Chicken Pesto Pasta

Dice a tomato.

Chicken Pesto Pasta

Add that to the chicken/green pepper mixture on the stove, and stir it around real good.

Chicken Pesto Pasta

Once the pasta is cooked and drained, add the meat and veggies to the pasta pot.

Chicken Pesto Pasta

Open up the jar of pesto and add some. I say ‘some’ because seriously, I do not measure this. I always make a different amount of pasta vs. meat so sometimes it takes more pesto to get it all coated, sometimes less. And some people probably prefer more or less pesto-ness to their pesto pasta, you know? So just do what you think is right.

Chicken Pesto Pasta

Keep adding and mixing until it’s all good and coated.

Chicken Pesto Pasta

Pile some on a plate for yourself and top it with some parmesan cheese.

Chicken Pesto Pasta

(You could fancy-up this quick meal with a salad like we sometimes do, or even some garlic bread. But on this particular night, I’m sure Maggie was climbing my leg or otherwise distracting me, so it was just pasta for dinner. Oh well.)

1. *drooling*

That looks delish. I’m a big fan of tomato chunks in a pesto pasta. I think I might give this a try.

*droolng*

Feb 14 4:09 pm

@trannyhead: So are we! It was kind of a whim once- I used to just do pesto and chicken. Then one time I made it and was like, hm, what could I do to jazz this up? And I had a green pepper and a tomato so there ya go, heh. Definitely yum. The Husband LOVES it with tomatoes.

Feb 14 4:35 pm

3. san

Thanks for sharing this recipe. It looks delicious!!

sans last blog post: Happy Self-Love Day!

Feb 14 7:30 pm

4. Oh my, that looks delicious! I will definitely have to make this!! :O

Feb 15 1:05 pm

5. Jane
    @seejane

Looks good! Will have to get that on the March Menu!!

Janes last blog post: Follow Ups

Feb 15 8:22 pm

6. looks good :)

Stephs last blog post: HA HA BUSTED!

Feb 16 12:36 pm

7. Dave
    @davidpryke

Looks excellent! I just talked with my wife, and we both forgot to plan for dinner tonight, so I might just stop by the store on the way home to grab the stuff to make this. Excellent timing for me! I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Feb 16 12:38 pm

@Dave: That’s the BEST part about this meal- it’s a great ‘whoops forgot we have to eat dinner tonight, um…’ meal :) I almost always have a jar of pesto in the fridge, chicken in the freezer, and some pasta in the cabinet. The veggies are optional of course, but definitely make it better. Enjoy!!

Feb 16 12:43 pm

9. Hrm . . . I wonder if I can get away with a faux chicken substitute.

Feb 16 4:01 pm

@Burgh Baby: It would be equally as excellent with just the veggies and noodles. When we were in Italy (I LOVE saying that, ha!) I got a pesto dish that was meatless and oh my was it good. I didn’t even miss the chicken!

Feb 16 4:18 pm

11. Dave
    @davidpryke

Jen,

This was phenomenal! Thank you for sharing your recipes. It was a *big* hit with my wife and daughter – they both had seconds (my daughter had thirds!)

I’m going to make it again for my mother-in-law and sister-in-law this weekend. They’ll love it!

Thank you!

Feb 16 6:52 pm

12. Well, I pretty immediately went to the store and we’ll be making this tomorrow night :)

Feb 16 8:38 pm

13. Yay! Thanks for sharing another recipe! I’m kind of kitchen-handicapped, I love your recipes because I can identify all the ingredients and can find them in giant eagle!

Our current favorite recipe is still the slow cooker chicken taco soup :)

ssfbs last blog post: So long MySpace

Feb 18 1:00 pm

14. Made this last night! It was a HUGE hit. Quick, easy and incredibly tasty! Thanks!

Feb 18 1:08 pm