shrinking jeans: the final verdict

I did it. I lost 10 pounds from Thanksgiving through today. I now weigh less than I did when I got pregnant… HECK, I weigh less than I did when I was in college. I am amazed.

I owe it mostly to Weight Watchers, which is the tool I use- the tool I NEED- in order to keep track of what I’m putting into my body. If I’m not forced to face the music each night and write down what I ate that day, I play oblivious and pretend that I didn’t actually eat that third chocolate covered pretzel. It’s all about accountability, I guess. Last year I used WW (just the online version, no real-life meetings) to lose the last 20 pounds of baby weight, and it worked wonderfully. But then I stopped using it, and gradually over about 8 or 9 months, I started back to my old habits of Eating Like A Pig and I gained weight again. Not a ton of weight- maybe 5 pounds- but it was noticeable and I hated how it made me feel. Which was… Like A Pig.

So the day before Thanksgiving, I decided to give it a try again. And the same day, I stumbled upon The Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans and took it as another sign that Yes Jen, you need to do this. You need to do this NOW. So I slapped their little badge on my sidebar and officially joined their Current Challenge – to be lighter by the holidays. I found the irony of starting all of it right before the most notorious eating day of the year kind of hilarious. But even if I didn’t lose much weight – or any weight- I hoped that maybe I wouldn’t have quite as much work to do after the holidays.

And as it turns out, I don’t have ANY work to do. I’m back in a size 6, my shirts and bras and even my underwear fit better. I was even able to take back some dress pants I gave to my mom a few months ago (she says they’re too ‘young’ for her, what with the boot-cut legs and low-cut waist, heh). I went clothes shopping last week and I actually had FUN. It was awesome.

All that being said, I still have more I’d like to do. Not really weight loss, but getting in shape. I haven’t been able to make it to yoga more than once a week, and my plans of working out at home in between those classes have been foiled by things like Christmas, New Years, a sick kid, and just plain not feeling like it. Exercise has always been a hard thing for me to stick to- especially when I have such success with watching what I eat, I think mentally I’m all, ‘bah, who wants to get sweaty and tired? I’ll just skip that second helping of spaghetti at dinner tonight.’ So that’s definitely something I want to work on.

My only disappointment in all of this: that I forgot to take a before picture to compare to after! The only physical evidence I have is the pile of size 8 jeans that fall off of my butt. Which I guess is good enough ;)

Obviously, I’m ecstatic about my progress. I reflected a few weeks ago about how miserable and awful I felt 2 years ago after giving birth- which I know is normal and every mom goes through it. I think back to then and think about how I feel now, and I barely feel like the same person!

If you have weight to lose- 5 pounds, 30 pounds, 100 pounds- YOU CAN DO IT. It takes a commitment above anything else, and there are so many tools out there to help you. I chose Weight Watchers, but that might not be right for you. Find what works. If I can do it- a notorious Over-Eater among my friends & family (seriously- I had a co-worker time me once at lunch, I eat fast and I eat A LOT if I get carried away.)- then anyone can.

1. Nicole

January 8, 2009 11:47 am

Awesome! Now you’ve got the real work – staying healthy.

Nicoles last blog post: My First Book Club

2. JenniferC

January 8, 2009 11:51 am

Congratulations – fabulous work!

JenniferCs last blog post: In which I am irrationally annoyed

3. Burgh Baby

January 8, 2009 12:09 pm

Congratulations! You done good. Reall good.

Burgh Babys last blog post: Lots of Sighing Going On Around Here

4. Candace

January 8, 2009 12:28 pm

Jen! That is so awesome. Congratulations!! I am really happy for you and this post totally motivated me to eat better as well. I am on a pretty carb restricted diet right now due to gestational diabetes and I just started it a couple days ago. The first week is always the hardest and I have been struggling a lot over the last couple of days. Thanks for the little pep talk, it helped! :)

5. ella

January 8, 2009 3:42 pm

congrats on reaching your goal! i would feel good if i lost 10 lbs. i’d feel hella good if i lost 15.

ellas last blog post: The Interview

6. Cristina

January 8, 2009 5:52 pm

I came across your blog from The Melodramtic, as I read her blog- but saw that you’re doing a weight loss challenge as well. While everyone is weight-lossing, I’m on the opposite spectrum where I need to sort of GAIN weight. However, congrats on your weight loss.

Cristinas last blog post: Waiting On The World To Change.

7. Laura

January 8, 2009 9:51 pm

You rock, girlie girl!

Lauras last blog post: recipe: Bean-Rice-Tortilla Bake

8. Bitchy Mom

January 8, 2009 10:32 pm

Holy crap, that’s great!

I’ve been trying to lose weight with you, but looks like you beat me. I only lost 8 pounds. I still have at least 10 more to go though… I want to get down to my pre-prego weight of 115.

I’m on the Sensa diet. I’ve heard Weight Watchers is good though! Glad it worked for you, that’s awesome!!!

January 8, 2009 10:36 pm

@Bitchy Mom: 8 pounds is awesome though! You’re almost halfway to your goal :) Good luck!

January 8, 2009 11:19 pm

How awesome that you were able to reach your goal in such a short time, and over the HOLIDAYS to boot! Way to go! :)

Melissas last blog post: seven (extra) pounds

11. Sandy

January 10, 2009 9:31 pm

Well done! I came across this foodie blog the other day and was wondering if you’d seen it yet – some of the recipes look really good, and tell you the WW pointage, all nice and low!
    I’m going to try and sneak some of these meals into my repertoire and see if the Man notices his declining waistline… lol. ;)

Sandys last blog post: happy new year 2009!

12. Steph

January 12, 2009 12:12 am

Congrats Jen :)
    LOVE the motivational speak at the end. :)

Stephs last blog post: My Parents; Me