recipe: Chicken Enchiladas

I am about 6 or 7 recipes behind according to my photos. heh. So here’s one I made back in NOVEMBER. Yeah. I said I was behind!

This is a recipe from my mother-in-law. She’s an awesome cook and she knows I love her Chicken Enchiladas. She makes this all the time when we go over for a visit!

What you’ll need: 3 chicken breasts. an onion, a bell pepper (any color is fine), some garlic, Cream of Chicken soup, colby jack and/or cheddar cheese, and tortillas.

Chicken Enchiladas

First, add some olive oil and some minced garlic to a non-stick skillet.

Chicken Enchiladas

Here is where I repent for my past Sins In The Kitchen. Until a couple of months ago, I used minced garlic from a jar. I think this was the last time I used the Stuff In The Jar. Then I got a garlic press from Pampered Chef and I was Saved. I will never again use the Stuff In The Jar. There IS a difference. I have been converted.

Okay, next you’ll need to cut up the chicken breasts into chunks. Doesn’t really matter what size, just do whatever floats your boat.

Chicken Enchiladas

Add some black pepper, give it a good stir and let it start to cook.

Chicken Enchiladas

In the meantime, chop the pepper and the onion. As I mentioned above, any color bell pepper will work- I just happened to have a red one on hand. Plus, I like the pretty colors in my food when it’s all done. It’s the designer in me.

Chicken Enchiladas

After the chicken has started cooking a bit, throw in the peppers and onions.

Chicken Enchiladas

Then grab yourself a bowl and fill it with the Cream of Mushroom soup. Yeah, it looks kind of gross. But it’s 98% fat free!

Chicken Enchiladas

Add the milk and use a whisk to break up the chunks of soup. I also usually add some more black pepper here (didn’t photograph that, Maggie was probably climbing up my leg or something!)

Chicken Enchiladas

When the chicken is fully cooked and the peppers and onions are soft, add a little bit of the soup/milk mixture to the pan just to give some moisture.

Chicken Enchiladas

Then add some cheese! (about 1/4 of what you have, doesn’t need to be exact)

Chicken Enchiladas

Fill each tortilla with the chicken/soup mixture. As you can see, I used green tortillas, but you can use plain flour ones. I just really like these garden veggie tortillas- they’re healthy and tasty! Low-carb, low-fat, and I think some good fiber too. Plus, they’re green! I said I like color. I wasn’t joking.

Chicken Enchiladas

Arrange the tortillas in a 9×13 pan like so. I was only able to fit 6 in this pan because these tortillas are kind of big. You might get more if you use smaller tortillas.

Chicken Enchiladas

Pour the rest of the soup/milk mixture over the tortillas…

Chicken Enchiladas

…so that they’re good and covered.

Chicken Enchiladas

Top with the rest of the cheese.

Chicken Enchiladas

Cover with foil and bake for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees F or until bubbly!

Chicken Enchiladas

You can eat them as they are (my preference) or you could top with sour cream or salsa. But they’re yummy, cheesy, and delicious either way.

1. That looks so yummy! Thank you for always sharing your tasty recipes with us!!!

Julies last blog post: Twitter Updates for 2009-01-27

Jan 28 11:17 pm

2. Mmm, that looks yummy. I so cannot cook. I am domestically challenged. Can I hire you? j/k

Jan 29 12:26 am

3. Oh goodness, that looks absolutely delicious!! o.o;; I must have some! I MUST!

On a sidenote – GO STEELERS! :D

Jan 29 6:04 am

4. looks great!!
    thanks for the recipe!

Bronnies last blog post: Do you like my cucumber?

Jan 29 8:16 pm

5. Athena

and if you would like to get any of the items jen used for Free:

Call me!

Jan 29 9:05 pm

6. Allison
    @AllisonB

Yum! That looks delish.

I’m with you on pretty colors for food. I like to use as many as possible in my dishes–never a dull moment ;)

Allisons last blog post: Verbally Speaking

Jan 30 11:37 am

7. this also looks good.. and I’ll trust you because i liked the last recipe you put up here (the cheesy chickeny one) .. lol :)

Stephs last blog post: Office Space

Jan 30 5:15 pm

8. Jamie

How much garlic did you put in? It looks delicious and I want to make it for my husband when he comes home in acouple days. :)

Jan 31 7:34 am

@Jamie: I think I added just 1-2 cloves- just enough to give the chicken some flavor as you cook it. But if you really like garlic, you could always add more :)

Jan 31 8:44 am

10. I just made this last night and it came out perfect!

I added in 1/2 cup chopped jalapenos and I used a green pepper instead of red. And I used avocado oil instead of olive oil.

Really good recipe!!!!! My husband AND my 18 month old daughter loved it. I really liked it with the added kick of the jalapenos. Just enough so you can taste it but not so much you burn your mouth. Try it next time you make it.

Thanks for posting all the pics too! Yummy!

Feb 3 12:46 am

11. Oh yeah and I added some Cumin to the chicken while it was cooking! I love cumin on my chicken…

Feb 3 12:47 am

@Bitchy Mom: ooh good ideas on the jalepenos and cumin! I’ll have to try those.

Feb 3 7:56 am

Just made this tonight, and they were SO. GOOD. I put bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes in George’s, and just jalepenos in mine. YUMMM. I even took out some of the cooked chicken/sauce/cheese for Oliver before I baked the rest (he won’t eat peppers or tomatoes) and he liked it a lot! So thanks to you & your MIL for sharing! :)

Melissas last blog post: the first of many

Feb 10 9:59 pm

@Melissa: LOL so are you going to be headed to a support group for jalepenos soon? Do you put them on your ice cream too? ;) hehe

Glad you all liked them!!

Feb 10 10:52 pm