shrinking jeans: the final verdict

I did it. I lost 10 pounds from Thanksgiving through today. I now weigh less than I did when I got pregnant… HECK, I weigh less than I did when I was in college. I am amazed.

I owe it mostly to Weight Watchers, which is the tool I use- the tool I NEED- in order to keep track of what I’m putting into my body. If I’m not forced to face the music each night and write down what I ate that day, I play oblivious and pretend that I didn’t actually eat that third chocolate covered pretzel. It’s all about accountability, I guess. Last year I used WW (just the online version, no real-life meetings) to lose the last 20 pounds of baby weight, and it worked wonderfully. But then I stopped using it, and gradually over about 8 or 9 months, I started back to my old habits of Eating Like A Pig and I gained weight again. Not a ton of weight- maybe 5 pounds- but it was noticeable and I hated how it made me feel. Which was… Like A Pig.

So the day before Thanksgiving, I decided to give it a try again. And the same day, I stumbled upon The Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans and took it as another sign that Yes Jen, you need to do this. You need to do this NOW. So I slapped their little badge on my sidebar and officially joined their Current Challenge – to be lighter by the holidays. I found the irony of starting all of it right before the most notorious eating day of the year kind of hilarious. But even if I didn’t lose much weight – or any weight- I hoped that maybe I wouldn’t have quite as much work to do after the holidays.

And as it turns out, I don’t have ANY work to do. I’m back in a size 6, my shirts and bras and even my underwear fit better. I was even able to take back some dress pants I gave to my mom a few months ago (she says they’re too ‘young’ for her, what with the boot-cut legs and low-cut waist, heh). I went clothes shopping last week and I actually had FUN. It was awesome.

All that being said, I still have more I’d like to do. Not really weight loss, but getting in shape. I haven’t been able to make it to yoga more than once a week, and my plans of working out at home in between those classes have been foiled by things like Christmas, New Years, a sick kid, and just plain not feeling like it. Exercise has always been a hard thing for me to stick to- especially when I have such success with watching what I eat, I think mentally I’m all, ‘bah, who wants to get sweaty and tired? I’ll just skip that second helping of spaghetti at dinner tonight.’ So that’s definitely something I want to work on.

My only disappointment in all of this: that I forgot to take a before picture to compare to after! The only physical evidence I have is the pile of size 8 jeans that fall off of my butt. Which I guess is good enough ;)

Obviously, I’m ecstatic about my progress. I reflected a few weeks ago about how miserable and awful I felt 2 years ago after giving birth- which I know is normal and every mom goes through it. I think back to then and think about how I feel now, and I barely feel like the same person!

If you have weight to lose- 5 pounds, 30 pounds, 100 pounds- YOU CAN DO IT. It takes a commitment above anything else, and there are so many tools out there to help you. I chose Weight Watchers, but that might not be right for you. Find what works. If I can do it- a notorious Over-Eater among my friends & family (seriously- I had a co-worker time me once at lunch, I eat fast and I eat A LOT if I get carried away.)- then anyone can.

1. Awesome! Now you’ve got the real work – staying healthy.

Nicoles last blog post: My First Book Club

Jan 8 11:47 am

2. Congratulations – fabulous work!

JenniferCs last blog post: In which I am irrationally annoyed

Jan 8 11:51 am

3. Congratulations! You done good. Reall good.

Burgh Babys last blog post: Lots of Sighing Going On Around Here

Jan 8 12:09 pm

4. Candace
    @girlhaq

Jen! That is so awesome. Congratulations!! I am really happy for you and this post totally motivated me to eat better as well. I am on a pretty carb restricted diet right now due to gestational diabetes and I just started it a couple days ago. The first week is always the hardest and I have been struggling a lot over the last couple of days. Thanks for the little pep talk, it helped! :)

Jan 8 12:28 pm

5. congrats on reaching your goal! i would feel good if i lost 10 lbs. i’d feel hella good if i lost 15.

ellas last blog post: The Interview

Jan 8 3:42 pm

6. I came across your blog from The Melodramtic, as I read her blog- but saw that you’re doing a weight loss challenge as well. While everyone is weight-lossing, I’m on the opposite spectrum where I need to sort of GAIN weight. However, congrats on your weight loss.

Cristinas last blog post: Waiting On The World To Change.

Jan 8 5:52 pm

7. You rock, girlie girl!

Lauras last blog post: recipe: Bean-Rice-Tortilla Bake

Jan 8 9:51 pm

8. Holy crap, that’s great!

I’ve been trying to lose weight with you, but looks like you beat me. I only lost 8 pounds. I still have at least 10 more to go though… I want to get down to my pre-prego weight of 115.

I’m on the Sensa diet. I’ve heard Weight Watchers is good though! Glad it worked for you, that’s awesome!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 8 10:32 pm

@Bitchy Mom: 8 pounds is awesome though! You’re almost halfway to your goal :) Good luck!

Jan 8 10:36 pm

How awesome that you were able to reach your goal in such a short time, and over the HOLIDAYS to boot! Way to go! :)

Melissas last blog post: seven (extra) pounds

Jan 8 11:19 pm

11. Well done! I came across this foodie blog the other day and was wondering if you’d seen it yet – some of the recipes look really good, and tell you the WW pointage, all nice and low! http://weight-watchers-points-recipes.blogspot.com/
    I’m going to try and sneak some of these meals into my repertoire and see if the Man notices his declining waistline… lol. ;)

Sandys last blog post: happy new year 2009!

Jan 10 9:31 pm

12. Congrats Jen :)
    LOVE the motivational speak at the end. :)

Stephs last blog post: My Parents; Me