shrinking jeans report

Last week, I mentioned that I was diving back into the Weight Watchers thing, as well as joining up with the folks over at The Shrinking Jeans for their December Challenge. I’m still not sure if this was a smart idea, or an insane one. But, you know what?

It’s going okay so far.

I’m not being nearly as strict as I was last year when I had 20+ pounds of post-pregnancy flab to lose. This time, I only really have about 5-10 pounds I’d like to lose. This time, it’s more about getting rid of the bad habits I’ve developed over the past few months and getting back to eating healthy… or really, just eating LESS. I’ve been a pig lately. OINK.

I have always been very into food. I love food. No, really- I LOVE IT. I have been known to eat burritos bigger than my head (Dan and any of the Burgh Moms can attest to that!) and still have room for a pile of chips and salsa, plus possibly a cookie or two for dessert. Doing that every once in a while is fine- it’s good to treat yourself sometimes. But I tend to start down a slippery slope and CANNOT STOP SHOVELING THE FOOD IN. It’s not really sweets that get me either. It’s the actual lunch or dinner part. That second helping of pasta, when the first one was already enough for 2 people. That third (FOURTH?) slice of pizza. That extra handful of peanuts/chips/whatever.

October was a crappy month for me. I had to deal with some issues involving my business- my First Baby, if you will- and it was kind of rough on me. I don’t think I realized how upset I was by everything that happened until I got further away from it. I hate to dramatize it TOO much (who, ME??! ha!) because everything is totally fine now, lessons learned, and all that stuff. But at the time, I was hurt and disappointed and basically just pissed off at People. And I think I let that drive my eating (Emotional Eating, Party Of One) and hello, Five Extra Pounds I Totally Didn’t Need!

So! Weight Watchers has me limited to 21 points a day. Well, actually, it said 19 points a day, to which I said ARE YOU INSANE? because if you know anything about WW points, you’d know that is like EATING AIR and DRINKING A GLASS OF WATER and hi, you’re done eating for the day! And 21 points is what I did last time, and while I only actually stayed under that limit a few times (thank goodness for those 35 weekly points you can borrow from!) it worked for me and I lost 20lbs in 3 months.

Last Wednesday, I weighed 131 pounds. Monday morning (my WW weigh day) I weighed- GET THIS!- 127 pounds. I nearly fell over when I saw that number. Srsly. I didn’t believe it, so I thought I’d weigh myself Tuesday as well, and today… both yesterday and today the number was 128, which I guess I have to go with as my Official Progress. Which is great, considering last Thursday was Thanksgiving and I didn’t track points (well, that’s not entirely true- I started to, then the Points Tracker began laughing at me when I was already to 25 points and I hadn’t even added the stuffing yet.) and I also made stuffed shells on Saturday night and while they were absolutely DELICIOUS, those suckers are like 3 or 4 points EACH- and I had 5 of them. Whoops.

But it obviously all evened out, and at the very least, I was able to kick my metabolism into gear by cutting out my snacking, and also drinking a BUTTLOAD of water. I usually drink a lot of water anyway, but at night when I’m hungry, instead of having pretzels or chips or cookies, I drink water. And then I wake up 6,728 times to pee at night.

Another big thing I did today: yoga (well technically ‘yogilates’). I hadn’t been to class since July, and wow, I missed it. I forgot how great it feels to stretch and work my muscles and how much energy I have when I’m done. And thankfully, my knee held up great! It was a little tired-feeling at the end, but I took some ibuprofen when I got home (the dr recommended doing that before and/or after any activity for the next few weeks) and it was fine the rest of the day. I’m going to go at least once each week, possibly twice if I can, and work in some BowFlex workouts here and there (as much as I don’t really like it, BowFlex/weight training IS beneficial. It’s just so booooring.)

So Week 1 is considered a success. I’m also feeling like my body might be adjusting a little bit to eating smaller portions at meals, because I still feel pretty full from the 4 leftover stuffed shells I ate for dinner 4 hours ago.

I suppose I could have only eaten three… but I did yoga this morning for 60 minutes, so I get an extra shell, dammit.

1. Mel
    @overdramaticmel

ugh…i’m so jealous. :p ah, at least it gives me enough hope to keep trucking!

Dec 3 10:06 pm

2. Sounds like you know yourself very well, and you have a good thing going on…CONGRATS.

I lost a ton of baby weight a few years back by going to the gym and I have a personal trainer – WORKED GREAT! I was in EXCELLENT shape – then stopped going … and BOOM added some lbs. I need to do something, and soon!

Melissa from Pittsburghs last blog post: The Waiting Game

Dec 3 10:28 pm

Yay!! :) I think it’s much easier to keep going when you see progress, and thankfully it didn’t take you any time at all!

I SO wish WW could work for me. It would be nice to have a more balanced diet. But even small portions of carbs go straight to my belly, and Lord knows the Everlasting Baby Pooch doesn’t need any help! hehe. So even healthy stuff like oatmeal is a RARE (maybe 1-2x/year) treat for me, which sucks. I’m drooling over the idea of stuffed shells. YUM.

Anyway… You’re already a third of the way to your goal! Hang in there! :)

Melissas last blog post: discoveries

Dec 3 10:48 pm

4. I love food too. Way too much. I seriously know I don’t need that 2nd helping of dinner, heck, I’m really not even hungry, but it’s just soooo good. I can’t turn it down.

Being on WW has worked out great for me. I lost 48 pounds a few years ago and managed to keep it off. I really do like the points system. It’s kind of a no brainer, and having those flex points has bailed me out several times.

I’m so excited you joined us at Shrinking Jeans. Good luck on your journey and stay away from those shells ;)

Christy M.s last blog post: Numbers

Dec 4 12:37 am

5. I love your report. You and I sound a lot alike. You write like how I talk (I think!). I need to go write my SJ report- does it still count if it’s already Thursday?! Good job on the loss. A loss is a loss is a loss.

Lisas last blog post: My Chunky Monkey

Dec 4 2:19 am

6. Way to go!! WW is so hard when you get down to that pitiful amount of points. I remember it well!!

Scary Mommys last blog post: It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Dec 4 7:31 am

7. Go, you!

When you’re done, can you take care of the five extra pounds I’ve put on from stress eating this fall, too? Pretty please?

JenniferCs last blog post: Wordless Wednesday: Not quite ready for that job at the MAC counter…

Dec 4 7:50 am

8. That’s awesome, congrats! And what a great feeling to know that during this time of year – when most people are putting ON weight – you’re taking it off! YAHOOOO.

Kaleys last blog post: Those locals

Dec 4 8:25 am

9. Good for you Jen :)
    I’m unofficially following your good behaviour this month. I have worked out every day since December 1 (will be doing my 4th workout after I log off here) and I haven’t exercised in about 5 months. I couldn’t believe yesterday how comfortable my pants felt after only 2 workouts. I am dying to see how they will fit at the end of the month (or.. err.. around Christmas!)

Good work. 4 pounds in 1 weeks is quite the accomplishment. And I hear ya about the points. Whenever I did weight watchers with my family, I was always at the lowest setting too and I felt like I was starving half the time. The carryover points must be new :) I remember having to workout or walk for a few hours just so I could get in 2 or 3 extra points a day.. lol :)

Dec 4 9:14 am

10. Awesome job! During my first week of WW I always tend to lose 4-5 lbs and then it begins to taper off. I hope that doesn’t happen this time!

Bobbis last blog post: On Board

Dec 4 10:24 am

11. Sunshine
    @littlemisssun

I’m hungry right there with you. Dieting is crap but feeling flabby is worse!

Dec 4 11:26 am

12. Becca
    @beccasanborn

I just wanted to thank you for the encouragement to do WW. As hard as it is to stick to 21 points, I’ve been doing well. The first two days I did 22 points and last night I stuck to 21! I was so proud of myself. I have to admit that I’ve been weighing myself and I’m already seeing progress!

I’m amazed at how well you did during Thanksgiving. I am spending my first week on WW losing my T-day meals. :(

Dec 4 11:42 am

13. Way to go! I wish I was back down to 131. That’s my lifetime goal at WW. I really slacked off and gained 10 pounds back. YIKES!!!

Keep up the good work!

Carlas last blog post: Weigh In Day

Dec 4 12:03 pm

14. Wow, that’s awesome! My mom’s done WW a couple times, but she never sticks with it, even though she KNOWS it works. So keep up the great work and just stick with it!

PS, I’m emailing you right now for the scarf swap!

Angelas last blog post: New camera! And new blog theme for December!

Dec 4 4:39 pm

15. Good for you! I’m a carb girl. Not the sweets but pasta, rice, chips – oh, my… I can never get enough. :) My problem is I eat because it tastes so good, not because I’m necessarily hungry. It will be something for me to work on after Finn is here.

Keelys last blog post: Hair Thursday

Dec 4 4:41 pm

@Lisa: I agree- a loss is a loss, and who am I to question it?? ;) hehe Good luck in the challenge!!

Dec 4 7:40 pm

@JenniferC: lol I’ll see what I can do!

Dec 4 7:41 pm

@Kaley: Well I figure even if I don’t lose a bunch of weight, this just means I won’t have quite as much work to do AFTER the holidays, right? :)

Dec 4 7:42 pm

@Bobbi: Unfortunately, I’m sure it will taper off- that’s what happened last year for me. My body kind of goes ‘WHOA!’ and drops a bit right away, and then it slows down. But as long as I keep holding steady with eating close to my point limit, I usually do okay. I’m not in a huge hurry and I don’t have the daunting amount to lose I did last time, so hopefully it works!

Dec 4 7:44 pm

20. Hi from another member of the sisterhood! Just wanted to drop by to say hi and wish you good luck in the challenge. I hope you reach your goals!

Elisas last blog post: Oy, I’m in a sorority

Dec 5 4:41 pm

21. Caity
    @caitysparkles

Wow it sounds like you’re doing amazingly on Weight Watchers. I did it for a while and it worked well for me but then I wasn’t buying my own food and it was too hard.

Caitys last blog post: Lets get rid of thatgirlcaitlin!

Dec 5 8:24 pm