recipe: Slow-Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

Last month right before my laptop died, I did another Ree-inspired cooking photo session while making dinner. Unfortunately, I downloaded the pictures to my computer, deleted them from my camera, and then my computer went kaput before I had a chance to do another backup to my external drive. So, the photos remained un-reachable for almost a month.

BUT! My laptop was returned, all fixed! And since I’m always scraping for post ideas during NaBloPoMo, I figured I’d just save it for now. Here’s a demo and recipe for Slow-Cooker Chicken Taco Soup. It’s ridiculously easy and incredibly good. The best combination!

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 001

Start out by chopping an onion.

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 002

Then add the can of tomatoes & chiles.

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 004

Next up: the corn.

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 005

Then the tomato sauce and taco seasoning.

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 007

Mix it all up and take a whiff- it smells good already and it’s not even cooked!

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 009

Trim the chicken breasts a bit if you need to (I HATE the grisly stuff on the edges, yuck!)

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 010

Then stick them in the crock pot so that they’re just covered by the tomato mixture.

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 011

Then cook on low for about 5 hours.

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 013

After 5 hours, take out the chicken pieces. Cut them up a bit and throw them (okay, PLACE THEM) in your food processor. Or if you don’t have one and/or you like making extra work for yourself, you could shred the chicken with some forks or something.

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 014

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 015

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 017

Put the shredded chicken bits back into the crock pot and cook for another 2 hours or so.

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 018

Top with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and fresh cilantro. If I could marry cilantro, I totally would. Dan would be OUT THE DOOR.

2008-09-18 Chicken Taco Soup 020

You can eat it as is, or you can eat it with tortilla chips- that’s my preference.

Slow-Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
Ingredients
  1. 1 onion, chopped
  2. 1 15 oz can corn, drained
  3. 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
  4. 2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
  5. 1 package taco seasoning
  6. 3 whole, skinless boneless chicken breasts
  7. Shredded cheddar cheese
  8. Sour cream
  9. Crushed tortilla chips
  10. Fresh cilantro, chopped
Instructions
  1. Combine onion, corn, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by other ingredients. Cook on low 4-5 hours.
  2. Remove chicken breasts from the soup; cool slightly. Shred in food processor. Add shredded chicken back in and cook an additional 30 minutes. Serve topped with shredded cheddar, sour cream, cilantro, and tortilla chips.
jayesel http://jayesel.net/

1. Jaime

November 6, 2008 4:24 pm

Yes! I love your recipes Jenn! I’m planning to make the last one you posted (sun dried tomato chicken pasta thing) tomorrow night for supper. Yum! This one looks great too.

Jaimes last blog post: Another song

2. Becca

November 6, 2008 4:52 pm

Hmm I’ll have to try this out sometime. Yummy!

Beccas last blog post: How Chile lost some of his fur

November 6, 2008 5:02 pm

@Jaime: Glad you like them! I’m making the sun-dried tomato pasta this week too :) We haven’t had it in a while, and it is soooo yummy.

4. Caity

November 6, 2008 6:01 pm

Oh my goodness! These is awesome and I need to make it! It’s a fabulous recipe!

Caitys last blog post: Feeling down.

5. Claudia

November 6, 2008 8:14 pm

I love recipes that have only a couple of ingredients…I so want to try this! :D

November 6, 2008 8:31 pm

@Claudia: And the best part is, most of them come in a can :) SUPER easy!

November 6, 2008 9:51 pm

Is it normal that I am drooling over your counter top as much as I am drooling over the food? heh.

Adding this one to my menu for next week!

November 6, 2008 11:03 pm

@Melissa: heh :) I have to say, I’m in love with my counter tops too! The old ones were DISGUSTING, I could not wait to get rid of them. We didn’t spring for solid-surface (would have cost 4x as much!!!) but we found some really nice looking laminate counter tops that work great. So drool away :)

9. Rachie

November 6, 2008 11:56 pm

Looks de-lish!!! I can’t wait to try it!

Rachies last blog post: Job, ugh.

10. Gina

November 7, 2008 9:21 am

Yummy! I’m hungry now…

Ginas last blog post: Friday Five

11. Athena

November 7, 2008 9:52 am

Definitely making this!

Cilantro and I could have a very happy life together too!

12. Burgh Baby

November 7, 2008 11:52 am

You can’t make me like chicken, but you can make me laugh that you’d dump Dan for Cilantro!

Burgh Babys last blog post: My Brain Will Now Be Exploding One Cell at a Time

November 7, 2008 11:54 am

@Burgh Baby: hehe like that one? It’s so true.

You could totally add beans to this instead of chicken… and actually, now that I think about it, the original recipe called for beans too but… well. You know my feelings about beans.

14. Danielle

November 7, 2008 11:56 am

Crud. You just made me lick my computer screen.

Looks so dang good! We’ll be trying this…

Danielles last blog post: Children Behave

15. Meghan

November 7, 2008 3:16 pm

I totally tried your recipe for pasta with sun dried tomatoes and chicken and loved it… I will be trying this very soon!
    THanks for the tasty yet simple recipes!!

Meghans last blog post: Trick or Treat

16. kirida

November 8, 2008 12:09 pm

This is perfect. I’ve been trying to figure out what to make today and I already have *all* these ingredients!

kiridas last blog post: best regards

November 8, 2008 12:49 pm

@kirida: awesome! Glad I could make your day easier :)

18. Dana

November 9, 2008 9:30 pm

I make this ALL of the time Jennifer; I think you shared it on flick*r at some point………it’s one of hubby’s favorites :)