recipe: Taco Chicken

It’s Recipe Day again! This time it’s Taco Chicken. Also known as the Easiest Dinner Ever, aside from sticking a slice of cheese in between 2 slices of bread and grilling it.

Dan’s mom actually gave me this recipe, so I have her to thank for the ability to fall back on this when I’m a) out of ideas and b) feeling lazy. It’s delicious, fairly healthy, and makes lots of leftovers. Win Win Win!

The ingredients are largely from a can or a foil packet. Tomato sauce, mexicorn, taco seasoning, chicken broth, rice, and chicken breasts. And some olive oil and garlic if you’re feeling crazy.

Taco Chicken

Start out by cutting the chicken breasts into small pieces- about an inch or so.

Taco Chicken

(Like my new knife?? I got it half-off with my Pampered Chef party goodies, I LOOOOVE it!)

Next, heat some olive oil and garlic in a pan.

Taco Chicken

Add the chicken. You can add some pepper now too if you feel like it (I skip the salt though- there’s plenty in the taco seasoning you’ll add later)

Taco Chicken

Once the chicken is starting to cook, add the chicken broth.

Then the tomato sauce…

And then the rice.

Taco Chicken

Next up is the taco seasoning.

Taco Chicken

And finally, the mexicorn.

Taco Chicken

Let that simmer until the rice is cooked (I use brown rice so it takes a while- you could use quick-cook rice and be done faster!) Stir it every once in a while so it doesn’t stick. Also- sometimes I have to add a bit of water if the rice isn’t done yet but it’s starting to thicken. Basically… I just wing it!

Taco Chicken

I like mine on a tortilla, along with some cheese.

Taco Chicken

(Whoops! Forgot to take a picture until after I started eating!)

Dan eats his with salsa, sour cream, chips.

1. Danielle
    @onedamnthing

I make a similar dish at home, but instead of taco mix and rice I use a box of Zatarain’s black beans and rice. Super easy and tasty. Oddly, my husband also eats it with corn chips.

Danielles last blog post: Nonprofit Marketplace

Nov 25 9:50 pm

YUM! I’ll have to try this next week when we’re sick of Thanksgiving leftovers! hehe

Melissas last blog post: and when there was no moon she watched the stars

Nov 25 10:37 pm

3. I actually think the slow cooker chicken soup is easier, because you don’t actually have to stand over food and cook something. You literally dump everything in the crockpot and click it on. I HEART that recipe because it’s one of the few I have where the chicken doesn’t have to be cooked first. I made it again the other week and it was GREAT. :D

This looks tasty though. I shall try it soon. :)

Lauras last blog post: longest short week 2008

Nov 25 11:17 pm

4. YUM! I can’t wait to try this out!

Rachies last blog post: Wedding Pictures…1.5 years late.

Nov 26 12:57 am

5. I’m not a fan of tacos, but boy does this look delicious! I’m going to try it after Thanksgiving when we’re back to our normal schedules… thanks :)

Bobbis last blog post: “Settle down!”

Nov 26 10:56 am

6. this looks yummy. I do agree that crockpot recipes where you can dump raw chicken in, are easier, am I lazy or what? But this does look so yummy… definetly going to give it a try. This would be a great way to cook up some extra chicken for quesadillas, or pizzas, or easy lunches, and pull it out before you start adding the broth, so you could get a couple meals out of it…

Leslies last blog post: normal

Nov 26 11:51 am

7. Jane
    @seejane

looks yummy!

I have the same knife. Love it, and I got it 1/2 off too. I’m kind of a Pampered Chef slut…

Janes last blog post: The One Dollar Give

Nov 26 3:24 pm

@Jane: haha well it’s easy to be a slut where Pampered Chef is concerned. SO MANY nifty gadgets!

Nov 26 3:31 pm

9. Caity
    @caitysparkles

Oh my goodness this looks absolutely amazing! I’m going to try this soon! Thanks for the recipe!

Caitys last blog post: Black Friday