recipe: Peanut Butter Brownies

This is yet another recipe photo session I did back in September that I couldn’t get to while my laptop was out of commission. I made these brownies for my Pampered Chef party, late at night, while I had a pretty raging case of PMS. My advice? NEVER make chocolate peanut butter brownies late at night while you have PMS. It was incredibly tempting to just eat the entire pan before I went to bed.

This is a recipe I got from an old co-worker, back when I worked at Pitt. He brought these in one day and I demanded he share the recipe. They are so good. And so very very bad for you. Which makes them even better.

The ingredients are pretty straight-forward: flour, butter, eggs, salt, vanilla. Oh, and an entire can/bottle of Hershey’s syrup. And peanut butter mixed with melted butter. And chocolate squares with melted butter. Like I said: kinda bad for you.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 001

Start with the flour. I used 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup of white flour. Sift that with the salt.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 002

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 003

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 004

What a nice little pile that makes!

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 005

In a bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and eggs.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 006

Beat it to a pulp- I mean, beat it until it’s ‘light and fluffy’.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 007

Add the flour/salt mixture and mix it. Wow, I’m descriptive, aren’t I?

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 008

Add the Hershey’s syrup. This time around, I use a bottle instead of a can. To be completely honest, I have no clue if they are the same thing or not. But my grocery store just went through a complete rearranging of all their aisles and I cannot find ANYTHING anymore. I have no idea where they put the cans of syrup, they weren’t with the baking stuff which is where they used to be. So I just grabbed a bottle that was by the ice cream toppings. It turned out just fine!

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 010

And since I was squirting it in, it made a really cool, Jackson Pollock-like pattern in the batter. I am sooo artistic.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 011

Mix the chocolate in until there are no more white/yellow streaks from the batter.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 012

Pour into a greased 9×13 pan.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 013

Try to resist sticking your face in it. Seriously- I DARE YOU.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 014

Bake for 25 minutes, or until you can dip a toothpick into the middle and it comes out clean. You can see my little toothpick marks right there.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 015

Let it cool for a bit. Once it’s cool to the touch, mix the peanut butter (I use a little bit of chunky peanut butter with mostly smooth peanut butter) with 1 1/2 tablespoons of melted butter. YES, I SAID MELTED BUTTER.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 016

Spread this peanut butter/butter mixture over the top of the entire thing.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 017

ooooh my.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 018

Melt the semisweet squares with the remaining tablespoon of butter in the microwave.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 019

If you have a fancy pastry bag or icing gun, you can use that for this next step. I however did not have one of those at the time (but I will soon- I just ordered a decorating thingie from Pampered Chef!) so I used a plastic bag. Fill the bag (or decorating gun) with the chocolate/butter mixture.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 021

Now you’re going to draw lines with the chocolate across the surface of the peanut butter. The plastic bag does the trick, though I’m horribly clumsy with it and have only been able to get it to work well once. Unfortunately, that one time was not when I was taking pictures of my masterpiece.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 022

Yeah. Well. Whatever. It doesn’t really matter, because next you’re going to drag a knife through each chocolate stripe to create a nifty little pattern.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 023

So really, you can hardly tell that I screwed the chocolate stripes up! See? (Ignore that bottom left edge. heh.)

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 024

Also, I have a confession: I may have squirted the leftover chocolate/butter mixture that was in the bag DIRECTLY INTO MY MOUTH. AND I DIDN’T REGRET IT. Maybe I did that. You’ll never know for sure, now will you?

Cut these into squares. I usually keep them pretty small- maybe between 1-2 inches each- because these are VERY rich. And that way, you can have two! Or three! Because they’re little!

And by all means, leave the dishes in the sink till morning.

2008-09-18 Peanut Butter Brownies 025

1. Priscilla
    @pgreen730

I am so sad that I missed out on these at your Pampered Chef party!! I was too busy indulging in the chicken/tortillas we made!!!
    Also, I know what store you are talking about and I hate going there because my shopping takes twice as long since I don’t know where anything is anymore!!!
    These look so good. Maybe I’ll make them for the holiday season!

Nov 15 9:27 pm

2. Holy cow!

What? They’re healthy. You used whole wheat flour! :)

Jaimes last blog post: All I want for Christmas

Nov 15 9:41 pm

@Jaime: LOL yeah! Totally! And there’s EGGS in them. Eggs are REALLY good for you.

Nov 15 9:43 pm

These look really good… too bad I’m allergic to peanuts. :( Oh well, I guess it saves me some extra calories!

Melissas last blog post: mail call 2008!

Nov 15 9:43 pm

5. Jane
    @seejane

yes, please. I’ll take 4!

Janes last blog post: Celebrating 35

Nov 15 9:48 pm

@Melissa: aw I know :( I totally thought of you when I was posting this. What a bummer!

Nov 15 10:49 pm

7. Becca
    @beccasanborn

I am not a fan of chocolate mixed with peanut butter, but I’ll have to give it a try. :)

Nov 15 11:43 pm

8. YUM!
    I baked CC cookies with Heidi tonight.. must have been a baking day.. :)

Crap your camera takes sweet pics. What kind is it?

Nov 16 12:57 am

9. san

Wow, looking good…. (minus the Peanut Butter. HATE Peanut Butter ;)).

P.S. Nice new layout! :)

sans last blog post: Another crush

Nov 16 3:36 am

@Steph: It’s just a little point-and-shoot: a Canon Powershot SD850 IS. It does take pretty decent pictures though!

Nov 16 9:28 am

11. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

Okay, so the Hershey’s sundae syrup? I had PMS last week and may have squirted the bottle directly into my mouth…many times. Just as long as we are confessing here.

I am having a Steeler’s get-together today and if I had enough time, I so would have made these! DARN IT!

Nov 16 11:56 am

12. You are so on your way to becoming the next Pioneer Woman Cooks! I swear, in the middle of the recipe I had to look up at the address field to make sure where I was. Hmm, I thought so. Wow!

Rachies last blog post: Me, in one word.

Nov 16 1:07 pm

13. Love it!
    Afraid they might be too sweet for me, though. I get sweeted-out really easily.

Lauras last blog post: random things my kid is doing

Nov 16 1:54 pm

@Laura: They’re actually not so much sweet as they are ‘rich’- to me, there’s a difference, I think. I’m not a big fan of super-sweet things (like sugary cookies with icing) I think the peanut butter counteracts the sweetness- possibly because I use Simply Jif, which doesn’t have as much sugar as regular peanut butter.

Nov 16 2:15 pm

15. Excuse me while I wipe up the drool from my keyboard.

Few things rival peanut butter and chocolate together. Mmmm.

Not sure if I hate you or love you for putting that recipe in front of me. :-D

JenniferCs last blog post: Wordless Wednesday: Me and my shadow

Nov 16 4:35 pm

16. Woy

I’m very, very excited to try and make these. I love brownies and peanut butter.

Srsly, is there a better match?

Woys last blog post: So Much for That…

Nov 16 5:15 pm

@Woy: Honestly? I don’t think there is! :) Enjoy!

Nov 16 7:22 pm

18. Athena

we had chicken taco soup for dinner tonight! so yummy. jackson has been giving us a hard time at mealtime – not tonight. and zane had 2 bowls – baby bowls – but still! thanks. more recipes, please!

Nov 16 9:27 pm

@Athena: great! Glad it was such a hit :)

Nov 16 10:59 pm

20. Allison
    @AllisonB

Oh, YUM! That looks unbelievably good!

Um, I totally want to make that now. I have all of the ingredients except the chocolate stuff and kind of want to go buy it. Hey! I’m going to Target! I bet they carry it. And now to gain back any weight I’ve lost over the past weeks… ;)

You should bring that to the cookie swap.

Nov 17 5:14 pm

@Allison: Hey no problem, I’m here to help ;)

Nope, I’m bringing snickerdoodles to the cookie swap!

Nov 17 6:47 pm

22. I must remember to make these around the holidays. I normally don’t have a sweet tooth, but HELLO, YUMMY! :)

Thanks for sharing!