remember when we lived in an apartment and never had to DO ANYTHING TO IT? yeah, that was nice.

I know I’ve been a bit scarce on here for the past week or so. Other than saying ‘Hi, I’m going pink!‘ and ‘Hi! I went to see an 80s boy band reunite in concert!‘, it’s been pretty much crickets. But trust me, there’s good reason!

We’ve spent the last 2 weekends clearing out our old office/junk room (And when I say ‘junk room’, I mean it. You seriously have NO IDEA how much crap was shoved in this room. It was truly a sight to behold. And for once, I forgot to take a picture, to which Dan said ‘Your Internet friends will just have to survive with the visual.’ He’s no fun.) The plan was to clear it all out, clean it, and then move Maggie’s toys in.

Last Sunday, we did most of the heavy work- packing up stuff for good will, garbage, selling on eBay, moving downstairs, etc etc. And we successfully dismantled our huge, L-shaped desk, carried it downstairs in 2 pieces- just Dan and me!- and then put it back together down in the basement. Then I set up the computer and office area down there and proceeded to crash after EIGHT HOURS of cleaning and moving and throwing away of stuff.

Then the week came and if you have a toddler, you know how it is when the week starts and The Help (in this case, The Husband) heads back to work. NOTHING GETS ACCOMPLISHED. I think I hung a few things on the wall one afternoon, but other than that, nothing. Then I spent Friday and Saturday in Cleveland and was too busy ogling Jordan Knight to care much about finishing the playroom. But Sunday arrived and we spent the day moving books and bookshelves and cleaning out the closet in the soon-to-be playroom and oh boy did I find some good stuff in there for blog fodder, but that’s for another day. (Think: CRINGE.)

By Sunday night, things were looking pretty good. Maggie’s toys are now all moved into her new playroom. Notice I didn’t say ‘organized in her new playroom’ because that’s just way too ambitious quite yet. I did buy a bunch of storage containers today at Target so as soon as I get a chance to get in there when she’s not, I’ll try and get things arranged. I have to do it alone because have you ever tried to sort toys with a toddler watching? Things get undone just as quickly as you do them.

So! Next on the list for House Projects?

- cut and paint baseboards for the basement
- hang curtains in basement (bought these today, hey just doing my part to try to keep that economy rolling)
- buy and hang curtains in playroom
- decorate playroom!
- find a new front thingie (technical term) for our downstairs fireplace
- repaint the upstairs bathroom (the old wallpaper glue is peeling and crackling under the paint, so this is going to be a fun project, lots of sanding and priming and OH WHAT FUN.)

Never a dull moment around our house! I think most of the time, Dan is ready to kill me because as soon as he is home for 5 seconds, I either thrust Maggie in his direction and get to work on something or I give him a To Do list.

Just a random tidbit to finish this post up: My kid dipped a blueberry in ketchup yesterday. AND ATE IT.

1. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

I keep on shopping and Jon yells at me. He pulls at his hair, shows me Fox News and spreadsheets. I just keep on shopping.

I like to stimulate. It’s my job as an American.

Corries last blog post: Thank You TLC

Oct 7 3:17 pm

2. red pen mama
    @redpenmamapgh

with my girls, it’s Ranch dressing. they will eat it with a spoon. condiment, shmondiment.

Oh, and I saw that Cringe book at Joseph-Beth recently, and thought of my own “journals”. (I didn’t call them diaries.) I still have them all — I cannot bear to throw out anything I’ve ever written. It’s a sickness.

Ciao,
    rpm

red pen mamas last blog post: Random Thoughts: Frustration

Oct 7 4:01 pm

3. Sounds very familiar. Oh what! That’s exactly how it is in my house. Well, minus the child part. We have a huge list of things we need to get done in, about, and around the house and I’m not getting very far with it. And then when Neil comes home I’m on him as quick as you can say “do this”. Ok, not on him like on like. You know what I mean. Sheesh.

Oct 8 4:11 am

Ah yes, we have a room like that! We started cleaning it back in August but it’s going sloooow. I had no idea we had so much miscellaneous crap in there until we actually had to deal with it rather than just shut the door… lol!

A blueberry in KETCHUP, huh? Think it will work on Oliver? :P

Melissas last blog post: truth in editing

Oct 8 9:25 pm

@Melissa: lol it’s worth a shot! My sister used to eat ketchup with a spoon- apparently it’s a very popular condiment :)

This is the 2nd room we’ve had like this… the office used to be generally okay, and Maggie’s room (pre-Maggie, of course!) was the dumping ground for Everything We Didn’t Know What To Do With. Then when I got pregnant we emptied it out and sold or gave away a bunch of stuff. And the office was even okay for a while… but slowly it just got filled with SO MUCH STUFF. Now it’s filled again, but this time with toys, which even when they’re scattered everywhere, it’s still nicer to look at than random junk ;) Plus this way, we can shut the door which we couldn’t do in our living room when Maggie’s toys were everywhere! heh

Oct 9 9:07 am

6. Oye. I’m afraid my entire house is turning into the Junk Room. There reaches a point where you’ve outgrown your space and no amount of organizing will fix it. Unless, of course, I manage to find someone with a little girl younger than Alexis who would like 16 bags of stuffed animals and about 30 boxes of toys. I think I’ll just toss those into your new play room. ;-)

Oct 9 11:08 am

7. Allison
    @AllisonB

I’m tired just thinking about all of that! That’s great that you have gotten so much done already, though.

Organizing with a toddler is truly awful, isn’t it? I probably put all of Alex’s toys into his toybin, oh, thirty times a day? Only to find them thrown around the living room again in 2 seconds. Ugh.

I do the same thing with Zach: he gets back from work and it’s either “Here’s Alex!” or “Can you please do___?” Ha, poor guys.

Allisons last blog post: Wordless Wednesday: Babies Can Pull Off Horizontal Stripes

Oct 9 11:34 am

@Burgh Baby: NO!!! NO MORE STUFF IS COMING IN THIS HOUSE. At least not until Christmas, because I don’t think there’s any way I can convince the grandparents to just give cash. LOL (which is another reason why we wanted/needed to do this now, because even though the playroom is 90% empty at the moment, in a few months, there will be lots of new things to put in it, I’m sure.)

Oct 9 12:24 pm