napping and knees and ad revenue, oh my!

What is it with babies and kids fighting naps? SERIOUSLY. When you’re a grown up, for the most part, it’s Hey, I’m kinda tired. I’m gonna go to sleep! Or it’s at least Hey, I WANT to go to sleep.

Maggie just fought a nap for 2 hours. She didn’t go to bed until 10 last night (fought bedtime too, imagine that!) and then woke up at 5 for a little while. A short snuggle on the couch and she was back to sleep until 7:30, but the late night and interrupted morning and she was one CRANKY HUMAN BEING this morning. After trying unsuccessfully for a morning nap (which she never takes anymore, but she was tired and rubbing her eyes so I thought I’d give it a shot) I gave her lunch and then we read a few books, I asked her if she was ready to take a nap (“No!” and shakes her head.) but I put her in her crib anyhow. A while later she was SCREAMING so I went to check on her. Gave her a pacifier (which had been thrown across the room) and snuggled her up in her blanket while she sat in the corner of her crib. She quieted down.

I went and stood in the kitchen for a few minutes, just to see what was up. I wasn’t about to drag my bum knee (more on that in a minute) down the steps only to have her start crying again. She does that- as SOON as we sit down or get settled back in bed, how do they KNOW?? Anyway, she was quiet still so I went and peeked through the crack in the door.

The poor child? WAS FALLING ASLEEP SITTING UP. Seriously, her eyes were drifting closed and she was doing that wobbling-back-and-forth thing and kept jerking her head to keep herself awake. She was clearly exhausted, but she’s so stubborn that she won’t just relax and let go and just take a nap, for goodness sake.

But somehow, she’s not tired and not ready for a nap. Uh-huh. 5 minutes later, she’s asleep.

This kid thing drives me batty sometimes, you know?

Anyway, so my bum knee! Yeah I don’t even know. I woke up this morning and it kind of felt bruised on the side, which was strange because I don’t remember bumping it on anything. But, I’m pretty clumsy and I’m always running into things so I could have done it and not remembered. A little while later I knelt down on the floor and it HURT. On the front this time. What? So I looked and… wow, definitely swollen. Right in the front under the kneecap, very squishy and sore and hot. It only really hurts when I touch it (or when my daughter kicks it with her foot while we’re reading a book, oh yes, that felt WONDERFUL.) but it’s pretty stiff when I get up from sitting or being on the floor or something. The first thing that came to mind was ‘water on the knee‘ but the big question is HOW? I haven’t done anything physical since Sunday unless you count going to MyGym and grocery shopping with Maggie on Monday morning and I don’t think that really counts. Yesterday I was at home working all day, nice and quiet and non-knee-injuring computer work.

Apparently, our Broken Things Epidemic has now spread to my joints. Oh goodie.

I took some ibuprofen while should help with the swelling, and it kind of did I guess. If it doesn’t get better in a couple of days, I’ll call the doctor. But I will tell you one thing: it had BETTER not be any worse tomorrow. Tomorrow is NKOTB!!! I need my dancin’ legs.

Finally, I just want to announce and elaborate on last night’s rushed and exhausted Pink For October post. I’m taking inspiration from my good friend BurghBaby’s Mom who all last month was drumming up traffic for her blog and donating all of her ad revenue to the Flight 93 Memorial fund. I think it was a super idea and I spent quite a bit of time clicking through her pages when I could rather than just reading in my feed reader. It was for a great cause, after all. And so this month, I’ll be donating all of my (rather meager!) ad funds to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. So click click click through my site and get those BlogHer ads rolling! They pay per pageview (more if you click on the ad!) so why not take a stroll through my archives? Here are a few to get you started:

Read my very first post here at Jayesel, back in August of 2005!

Timing is Everything‘. Oh yes, it most certainly is.

Our final email exchange before becoming solely responsible for another human life. We are so mature. (He DID show up with the milkshake, btw. The next day, I went into labor. Coincidence??)

I was a published writer at age 12. Sorta.

Our Italy trip recap! There are a bunch of posts for that, with photos! (but for whatever reason they’re not showing up on the blog. Click through to Flickr if you want to see those.)

That should keep you busy for a while. Go Pink!

1. Clickclickclickclickclick.

I hate the Too Sleepy To Sleep Phase. HATE IT.

Oct 2 3:13 pm

2. Seriously, WTF is up with the naps? I am so sick of the kid fighting them. I have to take one with her and if I leave she will be awake within 5 minutes WITHOUT FAIL. Drives me nuts. And about 10% of the time she wakes up too soon and is cranky as hell.

My father in law (who believes he’s an abuctee) would say that your knee bruise happend at night when you were abducted by aliens. ;)

Oct 2 3:15 pm

3. I really enjoyed this post. I guess I have nothing to say other than that.

Oct 2 4:26 pm

4. I just got sucked into reading through some of your archives through all those links, which prompted me to go back and look through some of your muted.com archives, which then threw me into a huge time warp. You are probably going to hate me for saying this, but I used to read muted.com when I was in middle school and had my own website/blog thing (where I mostly ranted about my love of *NSYNC and my middle school drama). I remember reading and thinking you were so cool, being in college and getting engaged. Going back and reading now, I can actually remember reading some of those entries then. It’s so weird to look at them now and realize I’m the same age you were when you wrote them. It’s also crazy that I started reading your blog again after so much time had passed. (I took a website break during high school…)

Anyway, this served no purpose other than to make me look like a complete stalker who thinks about the internet too much. To make up for it, I’ll click on tons of ads for you :)

Amandas last blog post: An Impromptu Weekend at “Home”

Oct 2 4:28 pm

5. Caitlin
    @caitysparkles

Aw, I’m sorry that the naps are a hard thing right now. I hope that Maggie starts sleeping for you so that you can get some sleep too!

By the way, I read your bike ride story and I thought it was so adorable! I wrote a book like that in 8th grade at school for a kid in the younger grades. It was some of the most fun I ever had!

Caitlins last blog post: I can get stuff done.

Oct 2 4:42 pm

@Amanda: okay so yeah. I feel like I’m 800 years old now. LOL! But actually when I read those old muted posts, it’s very strange for me too. It’s kind of weird when things are recorded on the internet ‘forever’!!!

I am excited to know that you read my site all the way back then though, that’s actually really cool! And not internet-stalkerish at all ;) hehe

Oct 2 6:15 pm

7. I am knocking on wood REALLY hard, but Andrew is and always has been a great sleeper. He rarely fights sleep, and when he’s tired he WANTS to go into his bed. I guess I was the same way… okay, I still am…. so there’s hope he’ll stay like this.
    He NEEDS his sleep, though. He once had a meltdown because he was overtired and it wasn’t pretty.

Lauras last blog post: fashion week: day 3

Oct 2 7:08 pm

@Laura: oh yes, it can get VERY ugly when they get overtired! We’re actually thinking that’s what happened last night- after dinner we went to visit some friends who just had a baby, and she had been at daycare all day and I think she was tired from that. She had a bit of a meltdown at their house (just giving them a glimpse of their future! ha) so we left in a hurry, but I think we missed that magic ‘window’. We’re going to try making an effort to get her to bed earlier in the next few weeks, which should be easier now since it’s dark earlier and she and Dan won’t be outside playing after work so much anymore :(

The thing is, she’s usually a pretty decent sleeper. She might fight it for a while, but once she’s out and she’s not sick or something, she’s out. I just always post about when she’s NOT sleeping, heh. And for the past week she’s been sniffly and coughy and all that, which just adds to the fun.

Oct 2 7:19 pm

9. Nichole

Do you think you might have been bite by a spider when you were sleeping?? We have a ton on spiders in our house in the fall.

Oct 2 8:34 pm

10. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

I remember the e-mail conversation! It made me laugh so freaking hard. One time when we were closing on our old house, I had to e-mail Jon to print something out at work because Jaden and Joey broke our printer (Imagine that!) and I used the line, “Bitch-print this out and bring it home or I will cut you.” We had been e-mailing all week with stuff like that because we were loosing our minds. However, I e-mailed the closing lawyer, not Jon. Opps.

Corries last blog post: Germs

Oct 2 11:31 pm

11. Please enjoy NKOTB for me! I don’t think I’m going to make their show in St. Louis, since it’s a couple days after my due date!

I completely understand babies that fight sleep. Braden has been that way since he was born. In fact he was like that last night!

Julies last blog post: I’ve been meaning to upload this…

Oct 3 10:25 am

@Nichole: Nope thankfully NOT a spider bite *shudder*! I went to the doctor this morning and it’s pre-patellar bursitis. Quite a mouthful! Basically it just means that the bursa sack is irritated (have no idea how, but whatever) It’s not infected or anything and actually seems a little better today, so I just have to take it easy and take some ibuprofen and ice it now and then.

Oct 3 10:53 am

@Corrie: LOL okay I totally laughed out loud for real at that one. I can just see the lawyer’s face, that’s awesome. Yeah we email back and forth all the time, real mature stuff like ‘hey turdstain’ and ‘quit being an assface’. We are such good examples.

Oct 3 10:54 am