one point five

My ‘baby’ (I feel like I need to put that in quotes now.) will be turning 18 months old on Sunday. Yeah I know it’s a little early to be writing a pseudo-birthday entry, but I always intend to and then forget and then it gets to late. So I’m early!

EIGHTEEN MONTHS. I cannot believe it. She’s officially a toddler, even though we’ve been calling her that for a few months now. But now? EVEN THE CLOTHING SECTION AT TARGET SAYS SO. And it seems like she knows it or something, because in the last week or so, she’s been learning and doing and learning and making us CRACK UP and TEAR OUT OUR HAIR and just love her so, so much.

She is officially down to just 1 bottle a day- at night before bedtime. For a while, her afternoon bottle was ‘flexible’- sometimes I’d give it to her, sometimes I wouldn’t. It would all depend on her… ahem, ATTITUDE in the afternoons. If it seemed like she need some downtime (but had already had her nap), we’d snuggle for a bit and she’d have her bottle. But some days, we’d skip it and she’d just have her milk with dinner. And today I skipped the morning bottle for the first time, just to see what would happen. Instead of hanging out on the couch together with a bottle before breakfast, I put her in her high chair first thing and gave her pancakes, strawberries, and a banana, with her milk in a cup. SHE ATE EVERY. SINGLE. BITE. Nothing ended up on the floor. She didn’t drink much of her milk, but she didn’t even care about not having her bottle. I’m beginning to think these ‘milestones’ are harder on Mom than on her!

(Related question: Those of you with toddlers, how do you make sure they’re drinking all the milk they need? All the ‘experts’ say 16-24 ounces, but I do notice that when she has her cup, she doesn’t usually finish it all so she’s not drinking what she should. How do you keep track?)

Earlier this afternoon, she put herself down for her nap. As in, she walked back to her room, found a pacifier on the floor, and said ‘Up!’ next to her crib. It’s been a while since she’s done this. YAY!

She says ‘Pee’ and ‘Poop’. A lot of the time, she’ll say ‘Poop’ right after she has gone, but a few times I think she has said it BEFORE. And if we ask if she has to poop, she says ‘Potty!’ and walks back the hall towards the bathroom. We haven’t yet managed to get her to go on the potty or anything, but she loves sitting on it. I am seriously considering buying some Pullups! Is that crazy?? I can’t believe she’s ready for this already! Yet again- I think the hardest part of this might be Mom remembering to take her to the potty and not just change her diaper all the time.

Her words are just MULTIPLYING. That 18-month word explosion everyone talks about? Totally true. I can’t even remember or keep track of them now, they’re just coming out all the time. Yesterday we’re pretty sure she said ‘Blue’ and ‘Purple’ correctly. I got her to do ‘Blue’ again today. And at her toddler gym class yesterday morning, she was totally counting ‘One… Two… Three…’ when she was climbing a ladder. Hard to believe that a year ago she was barely even sitting up. Now she’s freaking COUNTING??

She’s very stingy with the kisses lately, but I totally tricked her today. I told her I had a ‘boo boo’ on my lips, and she kissed me without even hesitating. HA! Point for Mom!

Speaking of boo-boos, everything is very dramatic with boo-boos now. If she gets hurt, she will point to her knee/leg/bum/arm/hand and we’ll kiss it and it’s immediately better. She had skinned knees last week and for days was pointing to them and saying ‘boo boo!’ and Dan said in the car on Saturday, she kept leaning down and kissing her knees.

She love love loves to dance. She’ll stand in the middle of the room and twirl around in a circle, waving her fingers around. Cutest. Ever.

We can no longer dress her laying down. As soon as her diaper goes on, she rolls over and stands up so we can put her shirt and pants on that way. She likes to ‘help’ and watch herself in the mirror.

*knocks on wood* *whispering* She has been sleeping so much better lately. For the last 2 weeks. After nearly 2 months of feeling like we had a newborn again, it’s been WONDERFUL.

And finally, forget potty training, forget getting rid of The Bottle. Our crowning achievement of the month? She knows The Steelers. She sees the logo on ANYTHING, and she points and says ‘Seee-leeer!’

pointing

I’m so proud.

1. She is way cute. We’re enjoying this age a lot too … many of the same things, potty obsession, numbers, etc. etc. I will do a bad mom confession and tell you that I have *no idea* if Tabby drinks 16-24 oz of milk every day. She probably drinks 8+ while at home, but I have no idea what she gets at her sitter’s house. Hopefully 8 or more? I’ve noticed it helps to give her a full sippy when we get in the car to go somewhere because she downs that in a second … I also use the YoBaby yogurt drink things that way … it’s milk, right? Enjoy your little one … they are so fun right now.

Sep 23 4:36 pm

2. I don’t know why it took me so long to figure out our daughters are so close in age! Eleanor will be 18 months in about 3 weeks. We are in the midst of the same glorious language explosion.

I don’t worry too much about E getting enough milk. She is happy and growing (too) well. I haven’t kept track in a very long time. I don’t even know how many ounces her cups hold.

We should get our girls together sometime!

clumberkims last blog post: stuck

Sep 23 4:41 pm

@clumberkim: I know! I’m so bummed we can’t make it this weekend, I was really looking forward to it. I’m starting to worry that nobody believes I actually HAVE a husband and a kid, because I only ever show up to the Bloggers-only Nights Out ;) hehe But yeah, this language explosion is just crazy… I was trying to keep a list for a while but now that’s just not possible!

Sep 23 4:55 pm

@jesser: I guess by this point it’s okay if she doesn’t get a certain number of ounces… but it’s just hard to go from measuring and counting every bottle to just ‘meh, whatever!’ hehe She usually drinks at least 1 full cup of milk, and I give her a cup now for breakfast and lunch and she sips from it. She also eats yogurt and cheese so I guess that’s enough diary :) Which is so funny, because me? I eat like NO dairy, other than cheese and maybe a yogurt now and then. Here I am all worried about her. lol

Sep 23 4:58 pm

Happy 18-month birthday, Maggie!!! :)

Doesn’t it seem like you just had her 1st birthday party? I swear, life at Toddler Speed is just way too fast. In another 6 months she’ll probably be making entire sentences during those Steeler games, like, “I think we should go for it on fourth down” or “Where’s the flag, ref? Are you BLIND??” hehe. I’m glad she’s sleeping better lately too! And good luck with the upcoming potty training… we’ll be starting that with Oliver in the next few weeks… (*scrunches face in fear*)

As for the milk issue, I think she’s doing fine. Does she drink more juice/water during the day? If so, I’d just substitute milk for juice at one of those times. Maybe you can even try chocolate milk (my mom had to do that for my oldest sister). But I wouldn’t worry as long as she’s drinking it at least once a day… she’s obviously growing and her brain is working overtime!

Oliver happens to be a milk lover, like me–he still drinks 4 sippy cups of milk a day, each about 2/3 of the way full. Is it any wonder we go through 4 gallons of milk per week??

Melissas last blog post: is it November yet?

Sep 23 11:39 pm

6. Caitlin
    @caitysparkles

Aww, babies grow up so fast. I have watched so many of my friends be baffled when their babies reached new landmarks and how fast it seemed to come. It really does seem fast. I bet when I have kids I’ll blink my eyes and they’ll be all grown up. :)

Caitlins last blog post: But wait… I’m a math teacher!

Sep 24 6:38 am

7. Sunshine
    @littlemisssun

I’m with Melissa going through GALLONS of milk in a week. Seriously, our family of four can go through 5-6 in ONE week. No I am not joking.

But, it’s pretty much all we drink. We don’t keep juice in the house (or even pop for that matter) so, it’s milk or water. I also never counted ounces and couldn’t even tell you how many ounces Sophia’s cup holds.

Sep 24 8:15 am

8. Anon

At 18 months I am surprised she is still having a bottle. My son’s dr made sure at the 12 month visit that it was gone. It is very hard on their teeth. Have you taken her to a dentist?

If you want to begin pointing them in the direction of potty training, then make sure the bottle is gone!

Sep 24 8:49 am

9. Priscilla
    @pgreen730

I agree with some of the others, I wouldn’t worry too much about counting the ounces of milk she is getting. As long as she is healthy and thriving (which she is) then I wouldn’t sweat it.
    Lincoln drinks at least three sippy cups of milk a day which are 9oz. cups. He really loves milk but too much of it is bad for his diapers!

As far as potty training goes. I would take her in and have her sit on the potty and see how she reacts. Starting out, we would have Jada on the potty for awhile, if she didn’t go, we’d go back a few hours later and try again. It’s hard because you don’t want them to sit forever but you want them to see what they are supposed to do on it! The bright side? Girls are so much easier to potty train than boys!

Sep 24 9:28 am

10. Babies/toddlers’ bodies know what they need, so I wouldn’t worry about her getting enough milk (just keep offering it). My daughter always went thru spurts in milk drinking when she was little. As long as she’s eating a balanced diet (getting calcium from other sources), she’ll be fine. Neither of my kids drink much milk (Jacob still hasn’t gotten used to it and the first time he drank a lot of it, he had tummy trouble for several days, so I think he’s leary of it still!!), but they do eat a lot of other calcium-rich foods (mainly cheese!).
    The questions never end with parenting!!! :)

Jenn Ws last blog post: Fun at "Papa’s" Park

Sep 24 10:38 am

11. Judi

Very interesting blog, but the part about the Steelers, priceless!

Sep 24 11:35 am

12. I LOVE that photo of you two together!

I have never tried at all to track what Alexis is and is not drinking. Some days she goes through a half gallon of milk all. by. herself. and other days she won’t touch it. I figure it all comes out in the wash at the end. Besides, if somebody tried to force me to drink milk, I’d be pissed. I’ll drink what I want, thankyouverymuch!

Sep 24 12:11 pm

13. Sweet post! Just remember all these wonderful things the next time she starts a new phase that absolutely drives you batty.

Anyway, regarding the milk….I breastfed exclusively so I never had any idea how much my kids were getting. They were happy and healthy and growing, so it didn’t matter. Once they started on cow milk, I just would give them a big sippy cup in the morning (usually with Carnation Instant Breakfast because they were terrible eaters at that time) and let them drink it throughout the morning. I always gave milk at dinner too. But I never EVER measured or counted ounces. Again, were they happy and healthy and growing well? Then I must be doing something right!!! Just offer at meals and don’t worry about it.

Irenes last blog post: I may be mistaken, but I think she is cursing!

Sep 24 4:06 pm

14. Your daughter is too cute! Yes, they do grow fast! I have a 2 year old and you wait… it just gets so much more fun when they can really talk and play dress up:-) I just found your site and really like it. I’m a graphic designer and love to find other designers out there.

I’m glad there is someone else out there who is attached to their computer:-) ha! My husband says I would marry mine if I could. It’s bad though because I have 2! Which one would I choose? ha.

Have a great day,
    Amy

Amy from Texass last blog post: Learning Sites

Sep 25 8:56 am

@Anon: I don’t think 18 months is all that late for a bottle… a lot of women breastfeed until age 2, so why is having a bottle at 18 months late? However, I think I’m having a harder time giving it up than she is ;) heh

I haven’t taken her to the dentist yet- I’m going to ask her pediatrician at her next appointment to see what they recommend. But I was just at the dentist last week and I asked him (he does family dentistry), and he recommends waiting until at least age 2, usually 3, just because they can get pretty freaked out. He suggested that when I go next time (March) I should bring her along so she can see what it’s all about.

Not sure I get the correlation between potty-training and bottles??

Sep 25 1:56 pm

16. Heather
    @heather124

Sofija isn’t a big milk drinker either, some days she’ll only have a few sips and the rest of the day will only have water. I spoke to my doctor about it because it was freaking me out and she said not to stress, as long as she’s getting 3-4 servings of cheese/yogurt/cottage cheese that she doesn’t even need milk at all!

Sep 27 6:26 am