Good-bye, Senor F-Nuts.

Tonight, we took Scotty to his new home. (You can read the back-story here and here.)

(Just a quick note on the title of this entry: Dan has had a ‘special’ name for Scotty for the last few years. I’ll let you figure out what the ‘F’ stands for. It’s not exactly appropriate for the mixed audience of my blog. I try to keep it clean- you know, for the kids! :P)

To be completely honest, I’m not even sure how I feel right now. We just got home a little while ago, so it doesn’t feel like he’s not here anymore… he could just be hiding somewhere downstairs, really. But he’s not. He’s at my sister’s in-laws house. Which is actually kind of great, because they live 3 miles away and we see them all the time, and we even visit their house a few times a year. So we’ll definitely see him again, and that makes it a little bit easier. It’s not like we just dropped him at a stranger’s house and said ‘C-YA!’ Plus, they have 2 other cats who live in the garage and outside in their awesome yard, so he’ll have lots of things to play with and entertain himself.

When we got there and let him out of the carrier, he immediately ran and hid under the car for about 30 minutes. Eventually we coaxed him out, and he wandered around, sniffing flowers and dirt and rocks. He hasn’t been outside much at all- he’s a very indoor, pampered kitty- so that’s the only thing I worried about. But he seemed okay after a while and snuggled up in the flower bed. One of their other cats, Taffy- an orange female who looks a lot like him!- was curious about him and they watched each other for a while. But they didn’t get angry or freaked out at each other, which was good. The other cat, Bandit, who is a little more skittish with new people, walked by him unknowingly and there was some hissing involved, but nothing too dramatic. I really think he’ll enjoy it there, I’ve always thought he’d be happier outside where he could cause trouble and chase things- something other than poor Gracie.

I did get a little teary-eyed as we were pulling out of the driveway and my sister’s MIL picked up Scotty and waved his paw ‘Good-bye’ at us. It was just strange to see and made me a little bit sad. Not sad that we’re giving him to someone else, but sad because we have to. Regardless what anyone else thinks, this is not a decision we’ve come to in the heat of cleaning up cat puke or being busy or annoyed at the cats. It’s #1 because of the way they have destroyed our basement with pee. And it makes me so sad that our only solution at this point is to find somewhere else for them to live.

On Sunday, we’ll be taking Gracie to Dan’s uncle’s house. That will be hard for me, I know. Gracie is a sweetheart and very shy, so it’s going to be a lot harder on her to settle into a new home. And we will probably never be visiting his uncle’s house like we do my sister’s MIL’s, so there’s a very good chance that we’ll never see her again, unless we make a special trip.

So, we are soon to be cat-less, after 4 years. I’ve considered whether or not I feel regret over getting them in the first place, since now I’m willing to give them away. Honestly, I don’t regret ever getting them. I enjoyed having them in our house until they started destroying it. And for a long time, I was okay with their craziness. But, as everyone says, having kids totally changes your priorities and our family dynamics have changed and this just needs to be done. I’m just thankful that we found 2 good homes for them, and it’s people we know too which makes the whole process a little less painful.

Dan is of course beyond thrilled. He never wanted cats in the first place. (Also: he maybe was singing a song about it on the way home tonight. Maybe.) While I’m confident that our decision is the right one, I’m still really upset about it and wish things could be different. It will seem really quiet around here for a while. Good thing I have a 16-month old Maggie to keep me distracted.

1. You made the best decision for Dan and you. I know it is hard but soon you will feel okay with it all. Also I hear you with the significant other not wanting a cat, my husband doesn’t like cats but married me and I came with one. I know the day my cat passes he will do a dance and sing a song.

Jenns last blog post: The hunt is on

Aug 14 10:01 pm

2. Priscilla
    @pgreen730

After our kitty died a couple of years ago, my parents let us have their cat. They just thought it would be good for us and he wasn’t getting much attention at their house.

We had Butch for about a year when he began peeing all over the place…in the living room, in the bathroom on the floor, in the bathtub, everywhere.

We decided that we really couldn’t handle that anymore, especially with Lincoln being around. Well, my parents took him back and I cried the day he left. Even though he wasn’t ours to begin with and he was going to my parents that live five minutes away!

It is hard to say goodbye to animals when they were a part of your family for years. I’m glad to hear that they are going to homes where you know they will be taken care of.

Aug 14 10:19 pm

I hope you AND the cats adjust well. *hugs*

Aug 14 10:28 pm

4. I admit I’ve thought about shipping our cats off to my parents house a few times since Lily was born. Be strong Mama, I’m sure you’re making the best choice for your family.

ambitious mrss last blog post: Small But Tall

Aug 14 11:25 pm

5. Mel
    @overdramaticmel

Aw. :(
    It will eventually feel better. . .

Mels last blog post: A tour of my tiny apartment!

Aug 14 11:37 pm

6. Hey Jen,
    I feel for you. I don’t think I’ve ever posted this but in March we had to give Tucker (my maltese puppy) away to our neighbour. It was very hard dealing with him as well as with Heidi. He used to get all of my attention before we had the baby, and when she came he got barely any. Plus, we’d always be yelling at him to get on the couch or get out of certain things after Heidi was born, and we were never really like that (or at least to that degree) before we had her. It was SO HARD for me. For months we had thought about giving him away but I kept prolonging it because of how much I love him. The only comfort I have (which you will probably have with Scotty) is that he is next door with someone who loves animals (like Scotty is near for you). He has a sister dog and two brother cats to share his time with. And once in a while if I hear him barking outside at 11 at night, I’d run outside (even with just PJs) just to give him a pet and a kiss on the nose.

I haven’t read your post about why you’re getting rid of Scotty yet, but I completely understand any reason you may have to let go of a pet when you have a kid. Kids are a lot of work and its just extra when you have another being in the house to take care of.

*Comforts*.. It gets easier.

Stephs last blog post: Warning: Long post. Probably boring. But its here, nonetheless.

Aug 14 11:47 pm

7. Sorry – another point to add: We got Tucker when I would have been due with my first pregnancy. So Tucker really felt to me like my first baby. It was very hard getting over that thought. :(

Aug 14 11:49 pm

8. Aw, Jen, I’m really sorry. I know this isn’t a decision you came to lightly. It will be okay. You are doing the right thing.

They will be better off where they have gone/are going and it will be alright in the end. You’ll see. Chin up!

Kriss last blog post: I’ve been dreaming about Vampires

Aug 15 9:42 am

9. How awful was the blog comment! I think you are being very humane and loving to your cats by finding them good homes. You are a great mom to Maggie and the cats (from what I can tell through the blog anyway). Some people don’t have any sense to distinguish between ANIMALS and HUMANS! Best of luck to you as you adjust to life without them.

Jaimes last blog post: On Being a Working Mom

Aug 15 4:34 pm

10. I feel for you Jen. What a terrible decision to have to make.

We don’t have any pets. We both had dogs when we were kids that were killed either by cars or put down. We’ve had birds, hamsters, fish with the girls when they were younger, but never anything since 5 years ago.

I get VERY attached to pets and I cannot imagine going through what you are going through. *HUGS* It has to be very hard for you and I hope that you will be okay as time goes on.

The comment you linked to was just outrageous. There’s too much hate in the world for bs like that.

Aug 15 10:28 pm

11. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

You did what you needed to do. I totally understand. I want to send our dog to a farm far, far away and trust me-I WILL NOT MISS HER. NOT ONE BIT. She runs away everyday. Ugh.

I don’t mind out cat, I actually like her, except when she barfs under my king-sized bed and I have to move the damn thing to get cat barf. FUN!

Corries last blog post: Legos!

Aug 15 11:44 pm

12. I can totally relate to you about your horrible comment. I’m not going to go into details, but I recieved hate-mail over what the ex did to our dog. I think you handled it much better than I did and I applaud you for that. You also took them to a home, instead of a shelter, that’s a big A+ for you as well, it shows that this was well planned out and with the best interests for the cats and no one should fault you for that!
    I think that you made the right decision for your family and your cats. I am sure that you will feel better knowing that they are with your family!

Jamies last blog post: Holy Bananas!

Aug 17 4:11 pm

13. Allison
    @AllisonB

I’m sure that all must have been really hard, but it sounds like you made the right decision. I hope you and the cats adjust well!

Allisons last blog post: East Coast, Here We Come!

Aug 18 12:26 pm