cue randomness here

I keep thinking of random things to blog about but nothing really warrants a full post, so here’s some randomness for you!

Yesterday morning I went in to get Maggie up and ready for daycare (yes, I had to GO AND WAKE MY KID UP at 8:15. Hate me. It’s okay.) and turns out, she was already awake. And she was EATING THE INSIDE GEL-STUFF from her overnight diaper. The diaper was completely pee-soaked (this kid can pee like nobody’s business through the night, it’s truly amazing) and it had split open in the front. So naturally, she thought it would make a good morning snack. I almost gagged, argh. Thankfully I don’t think she ingested any of it, she was just kind of playing with it and looking at me funny, like ‘Mom, what IS this stuff?’. When I told Dan about it, he proclaimed ‘NO KISSES FOR MAGGIE TONIGHT!’ Perhaps that was her motive?

Today I saw a middle-aged woman naked from the waist down in the locker room at the community pool. She was just oh-so-casually folding a tshirt and putting it into her beach bag, like she wasn’t standing there bare-bottomed in front of 10 other women and children (THE CHILDREN! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!) It was just really really bizarre. Also: It made me want to buy her a razor or a gift certificate for a bikini wax. Srsly.

I mentioned this on Twitter, but thought I’d elaborate a bit here. I started a ‘real’ job yesterday! It’s not full-time- in fact, it’s very very part-time. As in one day per month. A local company needed a web designer/developer to fill in for their one-man-web-department (??) while he serves grand jury duty 1 week each month for the next 18 months. I could fill in one Wednesday a month, and they were good with that. The pay is great, and it’s been 2 years since I’ve had any sort of guaranteed income each month, so woohoo! Plus it’s like 5 minutes from my house. Win-Win! It was weird being a real office again though. I’m pretty sure I’ll never be able to work for someone else again- after being my own boss, being the one who calls the shots, going back would be like having to clean my own toilets again. NOT HAPPENING, if I can avoid it.

On Saturday, we are going to Kennywood!! I am super-duper excited about this. I haven’t been in like… 3, maybe 4 years? I used to go every year, sometimes more than once, when I was a kid. I remember waking up way too early for a summer vacation day and having butterflies in my stomach while I ate breakfast. Then we’d count the signs on the way there, and we’d meet our aunts and cousins at the McDonalds across the street for lunch before heading into the park. I just love Kennywood. I love the sounds and the smells and say all you want about the big parks like Disney and all that, but there’s just something about Kennywood that is so awesome. And I cannot wait to see how Maggie likes it.

EDITED TO ADD: Duh, forgot one more thing! If you’re interested in downloading and using some of my old blog themes, I’ll be slowly adding more of them here. Wheeee!

1. Allison
    @AllisonB

OMG that first paragraph is AWFUL! It was only recently that I knew just how weird the inside of disposable diapers is when Alex’s somewhow exploded and ended up all bunched up at the foot of his PJ’s. I don’t know what I would have done if he had tried to eat it! Gah!

Congrats on the job! That’s so exciting!

Yay for Kennywood! Boo on not coming to the Burgh Mom thing, though :( I’m sure you’ll have fun. I haven’t been to Kennywood in…four years, I think?

Allisons last blog post..Where The Heart Is

Jul 24 10:47 pm

2. I was the same way about Six Flags, here. Totally had the butterflies in the stomach just because I was so excited to be going. But I seriously, cannot wait to go to Disney in a couple years!!!

Jul 24 10:49 pm

3. janet
    @loveisblonde

okay, not gonna lie, the diaper story is gross! but funny!

Congrats on the new sorta-job! :)

Jul 24 10:53 pm

4. I LOVE Kennywood. It is completely the setting of my childhood. School picnics there were epic, and I still remember feeling like the bravest person in the world riding the Steel Phantom for the first time the year before they tore it down.

It’s so exciting that you get to take Maggie there to have her own childhood memories. It really is the best theme park. Not too commercial. Not too big. It just feels authentic. (Granted I haven’t been there in about 7 years, so I’m just hoping it hasn’t changed much!)

Amandas last blog post..Talking ’bout my Generation

Jul 24 11:22 pm

5. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

Aivlene opened her diaper once and oh.my.god, she ate poo. I almost died. Seriously, l still may be on the floor of her bedroom. I did throw up a little.

Dude, we went to Kennywood last Saturday. It had been 5 years since we had been there. I was sooooooo excited! It was so crowded you could not move. We have season passes to Idlewild so it only costs $8 for us to get in after 5. We are going back on a weekday. It was fun, but so very crowded!

Jul 24 11:57 pm

@Corrie: I’m really worried it’s going to be crowded tomorrow- it’s going to a gorgeous day, and since May and June were so rainy, there’s a notice on their website about crowds. So yeah, should be fun dealing with Annoying People all day!

I definitely want to go to Idlewild next year! I’ve heard it’s awesome, we went there a few times as kids too! I loved the Storybook Forest.

Jul 25 9:15 am

7. Priscilla
    @pgreen730

I love Kennywood. I haven’t been there for about 4 years. Chuck and I made sure to go every year and then you know, things sort of get pushed back and pushed back then they don’t happen. I have such great memories of Kennywood though.

Chuckie went for the first time this year for the school picnic with a friend so we told Jada we would go sometime this summer and I cannot wait!! I’m thinking Chuck should play hookie from work one day so we can go on a weekday!

I have a super pee-er too! Lincoln can go to bed with a fresh, dry diaper and when he wakes up he is full to the brim. No gel explosions yet though!

I started laughing so hard when I read about your lady in the lockerroom!! OMG that is too funny. It’s amazing to me how some people are so open about being naked….I’d be the one hiding in the corner or in the bathroom stall changing…..but usually I already have my bathing suit on and I wear it home!

Jul 25 10:09 am

8. Nichole

I am not even going to tell you what is in those diapers!! Have you ever thought of Cloth diapers? Sami is a heavy wetter too so I just put an doubler in her regular cloth for night. We are going to Kennywood next Sat!!!! And you so have to take Maggie to Idewild!!! We toke Sami and it was sooo fun!! next summer we should all go (You, Corrie, me!!)

Jul 25 10:39 am

@Nichole: I did think of cloth diapers for about 2.5 seconds and then I remembered I can’t even keep up with regular laundry, so there was no way I’d be able to keep up with all that extra ;) heh I’m just trying not to think about what she may have ingested… *gag*

Jul 25 10:43 am

10. Mel
    @overdramaticmel

yay…new themes to play around with! :D

Mels last blog post..July 24, 2008 – Picture of the Day

Jul 25 12:33 pm

11. 8:15??? I hate you. You said it was ok, so I’m just gonna put it out there. Though my heart does thaw a bit when I read that you had to deal with the stuff she was eating. Sounds delicious!

MadWomaMegs last blog post..It’s a good thing he loves me. You love me right honey?

Jul 26 8:10 am

@MadWomaMeg: hehe yes, it’s okay. If I wasn’t me and had a normal kid who woke up at 6am, I would totally hate me. (though she does make up for it when she’s teething and only sleeps 3hrs a night for weeks on end. SEE THE MONTH OF JUNE.)

Jul 26 8:44 am

13. I have heard of all kinds of nasty stuff, but eating diaper gel is about the worst that can happen. It makes even naked old lady butt sound good in comparison.

BLACH!!!

Karens last blog post..Saturday Shots 7.4

Jul 26 10:14 pm

14. Oh the anatomy and geriatric lessons learned in the Y’s dressing room.
    Blech.

moosh in indy.s last blog post..they’re purely ornamental.

Jul 28 8:59 am

15. I would like to thank you for the image of lady bits hanging out from under a t-shirt. Just, thank you. So much.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I’m plotting revenge. I have until late August to think of it.)

Burgh Babys last blog post..Go Ahead, Tell Daddy