we’ve got curb appeal now, baby

This weekend was ‘Project Weekend’. My mom and dad came over yesterday and helped us (well, really, helped Dan, since I didn’t do much helping as I was playing Mom for most of the day) tear down and rebuild the small landscape wall by our driveway. It threatened rain all day, but thankfully only sprinkled a few times, so we got it all done. And it looks Super Fantastic.

I still have a list of about 10 other things I’d like to do outside, but fixing this wall is a major improvement for our yard. As is obvious from the ‘before’ pictures, the old wall was The Wall of SUCK.

I’m so tired and sore today, which is hilarious because I seriously carried like 15 blocks, took some pictures while the rest of them worked, and then Maggie woke up. Though I did hold her for like an hour (total) outside so maybe that’s why. And then today I used an orbital sander to sand the new mailbox post I bought (new mailbox too, w00t! Can’t wait to put that in.) and I carried 4 bags of pea gravel from the trunk of Dan’s car over to the deck. Then I had to sweep and vacuum our dining room after Maggie pulled on a placemat and sent a glass of water crashing (and breaking) to the floor. And Maggie and I went for a walk tonight.

On second thought, DUH, no wonder I’m sore and tired. I’m almost glad the weekend’s over. Almost.

1. Backpacking Dad

May 4, 2008 10:08 pm

That’s an amazing difference!

I wish I were more of a visionary about that kind of stuff. I just can’t see it.

Backpacking Dads last blog post..The List

May 4, 2008 10:10 pm

@Backpacking Dad: heh I get my inspiration by going for walks in our neighborhood and stealing other people’s ideas. Also- I had no clear ‘vision’ of how it would turn out, really… I just knew it would definitely be better than what was there, so yay :) heh

3. mel

May 4, 2008 10:33 pm

I don’t have much of an eye for that either. I had these grand plans for the yard this year…but I just didn’t have the creativity…or maybe I just didn’t have the drive to do it. :)

I’m not the yard work type. :D

mels last blog post..Single in a very messed up world…

4. janet

May 4, 2008 10:39 pm

wow, it looks great! I know from experience that seemingly little projects can take a whole lot of time and energy.

5. Nichole

May 4, 2008 11:07 pm

That looks soooo nice!!

May 4, 2008 11:41 pm

Wow, that looks awesome! Yay for you & your helpers, you all did a great job, despite the semi-soggy weather. :)

7. Kris

May 5, 2008 9:57 am

The new wall looks amazing. We need to do something like that at our place. We’ll get there… eventually.

And the best part about your new wall is… its won’t rot! Unlike the previous wood version. :)

Kriss last blog post..18 months ago…

8. Julie

May 5, 2008 10:46 am

That looks so much better! Great Job!

Julies last blog post..Can someone explain this to me?

9. Corrie

May 5, 2008 1:31 pm

I nailed in 9 nails on our sandbox and I complained how sore my arms were. I am a huge wuss. I also dropped a huge box on Jon because of said wussiness.

Corries last blog post..Whew

10. Jeanelle

May 5, 2008 2:23 pm

Wow, that looks great! We’re in the middle of doing similar things. It’s a lot of work for sure!

I like getting out of work since someone has to watch Evan, but I miss being able to help when I want to. Plus, I’m kind of a control freak, so I hate not being involved!

Jeanelles last blog post..More painting

11. Leslie

May 5, 2008 2:42 pm

looks good…. heck Id be sore with 2 blocks

Leslies last blog post..I love my daughter, I love my daughter, I love my daughter

12. Nancy

May 5, 2008 3:26 pm

It looks amazing! Jen, did you know you were on some guys blog babe list? You’re beautiful, of course…but I’m not sure whether you should laugh or cry about this.

13. Amanda

May 5, 2008 10:12 pm

ooh! I like the new landscaping. I need to work on mine this weekend.

Amandas last blog post..And Then, We Ran Like Hell

14. bellacantare

May 6, 2008 3:43 pm

Looks fanTAStic! I love the brick work.

bellacantares last blog post..Cinco de Mayo Poker Fun

15. Dana

May 8, 2008 9:30 am

That landscaping is awesome. I’m in desperate need of a flowerbed redesign, but my husband and I have different ideas about what to do.

Great before and after photos. :)

Danas last blog post..Attack of the Pod Preschooler