beach? what beach?

This week is INSANE, people. INSANE.

I have been really busy with work, and it’s a short week so I feel like I’m still playing catch-up on housework and laundry and grocery shopping. And this Saturday I’m hosting a baby shower for my friend (Hi Andrea!!!!) so I have all kinds of fun, crafty preparations to do for that. I’m super excited!! I’m trying to ignore the fact that we’re leaving for the beach in 9 days and I haven’t given much thought to taking a week-long trip with a toddler. We’ve never traveled this far or this long with a kid yet, so I’m a little bit anxious about how it will all go. I’m sure it will be fine, but my anal-retentive tendencies are getting the better of me, I think. But I can’t worry about any of that until next week- after the baby shower is over and then I can focus on the next thing on the list.

Guess what I just found out yesterday? Our vacation house at the beach? Has wireless high speed internet. So here I am, faced with a dilemma. Do I take my laptop along and be tempted to hole up inside the house and blog-surf all day? I rarely have hours and hours to myself to just aimlessly play on the computer- I’m either working or sneaking in 10 or 15 minutes here and there to catch up on my Google Reader. I was thinking of taking it along initially, just so I could download pictures to it (You never know when you might drop your camera in the pool! Always good to have yesterday’s pictures safely on the computer! I was a Girl Scout, dontcha know? Planning Ahead, Always Careful.) And it’s not that I want to waste time online when I can be enjoying the sunshine and the sand and the pool and the beach… but us Internet Addicts, we know the temptation. And also… I probably should have access to my email and check in now and then, just in case a customer is having an email crisis or something, right? I mean, I would want their business to go under just because I was unreachable for a week. (See how I’m rationalizing this?)

Since we all know that I’ll end up taking along my laptop, and also that I’ll probably check my email 4,827 times a day like I do now, you know what that means?? LIVE BEACH BLOGGING! Now, I’m sure it won’t be quite as eventful as Gina’s Beach Brawling story (and I’m pretty sure I don’t have a Bat Girl Mask laying around anywhere) but I’m sure I’ll have a few stories to share. Ones that, by the time we drive the 10 hours home with a toddler, unpack, and attempt to get Maggie back on a napping schedule, I will have totally forgotten and/or be too lazy to actually sit down and type. So, something to look forward to!

And I just realized that I rambled on about the beach and our vacation, when I just said I was NOT GOING TO THINK ABOUT IT YET. Too much else to do before then!

But dude. I need a break. And even though spending 7 days trying to keep my daughter from drowning in the ocean or the pool doesn’t exactly sound relaxing, I’ll take it. I need a tan.

1. Allison
    @AllisonB

Oh that definitely is a dilemma but I think you made the right decision. You really wouldn’t want your customers to have to survive with you ;)

YAY beach bloggin’! Yay BEACH! I’m so jealous, and looking forward to the pictures :)

Allisons last blog post..Sickly Baby

May 29 12:45 am

2. You know – I’d loan you the Batgirl mask if you thought you might need it. Although, I’m heading for a short trip to the beach in 13 days myself, so maybe I’d better hang on to it…

Ginas last blog post..Mornings Suck

May 29 8:03 am

3. Yeah, I would be beach blogging too! Our beach vacation is 5 1/2 weeks away…not that I am counting or anything. I don’t have a laptop (sad, I know), but my BIL does and he probably will bring his. And we also have wireless internet at the house. So, yes I will probably be borrowing his for a little beach blogging action. I didn’t have a blog last year (seriously, I didn’t know what a blog was last year!). But now I can’t imagine being away from the blog world for over a week.

And we took all our kiddos to the beach (14 hr drive) when they were babies and toddlers. It really wasn’t that bad. New DVDs for the car, lots of snacks, stopping to get out and run or crawl. And they were great.

And actually the easiest time was when I had only one kid and she was about 9 months old. I’ll tell you what, one thing about a beach vacation – the kids get really tired and sleep REALLY well.

Irenes last blog post..Whew! What a weekend!

May 29 8:03 am

@Irene: I’m counting on that- that she gets herself so exhausted that she just crashes every night :) I’m sure we will!!!

May 29 9:12 am

5. Oh wow, blogging on the beach sounds like fun. me = jealous.

Kriss last blog post..Frost. I hate frost.

May 29 10:34 am

6. Nichole

It won’t be as bad as you think, We went to camp for 3 days over the weekend and I thinking it was going to be hard with Sami but it was fun she slept in a big girl bed too!! we are going to the beach in july so now I am not as worried!! It will be easier than you think!!!

I dont have a laptop my self but when we go to the beach my brother in law and my dad take theirs!! I like to sit on the deck and check my mail. plus we need two because we take two teenagers who cant live without myspace!!

May 29 10:36 am

7. oh poor baby 7 days vacation.
    Im seriously envious. I have vacation envy bad… I just want to go somewhere anywhere…..

enjoy.

May 29 2:14 pm

8. Hi Jen!!! :) Too bad the weather doesn’t seem like it’s going to cooperate for Saturday…. :p I’m a little worried about the “crafty-ness” you and Kristy have planned….. :)

Ah, the beach… You’ll have plenty of help (Kylie! Craig!) to help keep Maggie out of trouble! (or help her get into trouble…..) :) I’ll be sitting here, reading your blog, knowing that if my ob wasn’t such a stick-in-the-mud (I’m half-kidding,) I’d be there with you!!! Make sure you include lots of pictures!!! I’ll miss all you guys while you’re gone!!!

May 29 3:41 pm

9. Live beach blogging sounds like a dream vacation to me! I always sit with my youngest to put him to bed (esp. at strange places) and wish, wish, wish that I had a laptop to sit around with. I’m sure you won’t miss much beach time because of us.

And feel free to lay the smack down on any crackheads you meet up with. Bat Mask or no.

Karens last blog post..Web Browsing At It’s Finest

May 29 5:24 pm

@Andrea: I planned for everything inside, just in case… plus our deck gets too hot to actually do anything outside during the day anyway :( And don’t worry, nothing too crafty, haha don’t be scared!

I wish you could come to the beach too!!! Next year :) :) :)

May 29 6:49 pm

We contemplated taking Oliver to do a beach vacation… but… no. He is SO not “go-with-the-flow” these days, and we only had one week we could go (due to George’s classes), which didn’t work for any of our family/friends. We loved the idea of taking him with us somewhere, we just needed a break MORE, which we now know was the right decision this year. Maybe next summer… (although I might be hugely pregnant and/or have a newborn. oh well.)

For now I am living vicariously through you! I hope you have nice weather and lots of fun, and I hope Maggie does well with the drive and lets you guys sleep in! (OK, yeah, maybe the sleeping in is asking too much. :) I can’t wait for the photos of her first time seeing the ocean!

May 29 7:29 pm

12. I don’t know, Jen… a spray tan may be the more calming option :)

Susans last blog post..First date and the horse’s ass

May 29 7:50 pm

@Melissa: I’m not at all sure how it’s going to go, to be honest. Most of the time Maggie is pretty ‘go with the flow’, but 10 hours in the car?? (We are breaking up the drive going down- staying in Baltimore with Dan’s grandmother Friday night) But mostly I’m just looking forward to a break from the daily grind of our living room :) And there will be lots of other pairs of hands there, so hopefully a few of them will entertain Maggie for a while!

Is it crazy to think that you might be ready to have another baby this time next year?? AAAAH!

May 29 10:22 pm

14. I bought a Blackberry back in January. My wife and I do lots of e-mailing, and I needed something that would work as a camera, MP3 player, and GPS for my longer hikes.

Well, turns out I mostly use it read blogs and post to mine when I’m out.

Yeah. Addicted much?

Backpacking Dads last blog post..What about boob?

May 30 12:43 am

15. Shamelessly Sassy
    @shameleslysassy

I’m debating the same thing. I don’t know if I should take my laptop on our vacation or not. I might freak out without it. Which might be a sign that I shouldn’t take it? who knows.

Shamelessly Sassys last blog post..Tranny Hooker Eyelids: Cheerleading Competition Make-Up

May 30 1:00 am

@Shamelessly Sassy: lol that was exactly my thought- if I’m freaking out about NOT having it, maybe I need to leave it at home and take a break?? But I can totally use the work excuse ;) heehee

The Husband did just get a Blackberry (I WANT TO LICK IT) for work, so I can always check my email using that if I absolutely had to. But I like my big screen! heh

May 30 9:06 am

17. Sunshine
    @littlemisssun

Just some encouragement from this mom who has braved the 6 hour (which sometimes turns into 10 hours) drive from Indiana to Pennsylvania with two small ones, and just spent 3 nights in a hotel in Indy with them – you’ll be just fine!!

The biggest frustration for us is the trips take SO MUCH LONGER with kids. They can’t exactly drive straight through…

No, there won’t be as much ‘down’ time for you to just relax but you’ll still have fun! How fun for her to see the ocean for the first time!

May 30 10:44 am

18. You have to bring the laptop. You have to. You’re addicted to it. It’ll make you feel good. Who wants to go to the beach for a week, and be in a crappy mood because they don’t have their laptop?

Not me, I can tell you that.

And, let’s face it, it is easiest way to find out what restaurants are around. I mean, seriously, like you’re going to use the phone book? Get real, you need the internet.

And I want to read beach stories, because I cannot go this year. So, everyone wins if you bring the laptop.

Steves last blog post..Minority Report billboards coming soon to a mall near you

May 31 9:45 am