greetings from sleeplessville.

argh, I am so tired.

Maggie woke up last night at around 3:30 or so (I can’t even remember now what time it was) I have no idea why. She wasn’t particularly upset, and she sometimes wakes up once and I have to go in, give her a pacifier, and lay her back down and she’s back to sleep. So I did that, and all seemed fine. Then, 20 minutes later, she was crying again. So I went it, she still had her pacifier, so I laid her down with her puppy and blanket, and turned on her -music. Quiet. Good. 20 minutes later, crying again. Repeat, repeat, repeat. For like TWO HOURS.

I finally went in, changed her diaper, and brought her out to the couch to snuggle. Sometimes doing that, even for just 10 minutes, helps ‘reset’ her and she’s ready to go back to sleep. But this time, she was playing peek-a-boo with the blanket and babbling and being silly. So I turned on Sesame Street and reclined the seat and we snuggled in for a while. She was getting really relaxed, so I took her back to her crib and climbed in bed. FAIL. She was not having it.

So at 5:30 or 6 or something like that, I gave up and made her a bottle and sat on the couch with her watching last night’s Desperate Housewives (hey I figure while I’m up, I may as well catch up on tv.) She finished her bottle and was asleep on me in 20 minutes. I slowly got up and took her back to her crib- she didn’t even open her eyes the whole time.

Of course at this point, the question is, do I go back to bed? I was hungry, so I made some breakfast and finished watching Desperate Housewives. I wasn’t even all that tired. But I forced myself to lay down after Dan left for work a little before 8. Maggie and I both slept until 9:30.

I’m sure it sounds wonderful, like, wow! At least she let you sleep in until 9:30! But NO. I always wake up from naps feeling worse than I did when I fell asleep. And I hate days like this, when our routine gets all goofed up. I never know when she’ll be ready for a nap, or lunch, and my plans for the day just get thrown out the window. I do feel bad for Dan, since he was pretty much up all night too and still had to drag his butt to work. But honestly, I think sometimes the frustration in the middle of the night when Maggie’s awake is knowing that I have ALL DAY with her and I have no idea what that day will bring. Going to work sounds like a great alternative.

And then I spend all day trying to solve the mystery of why she was up, SO THAT IT DOESN’T HAPPEN AGAIN, PLEASE GOD. Was she just hungry? She wasn’t really that upset or mad. She’s not sick at all. She wasn’t wet or poopy. Did she just want to snuggle? Does she just want us to go INSANE?

The good news, however, is that somehow she is in a great mood this morning and not cranky at all. HOW DO THEY DO THAT? I want to curl up in a ball on the floor and do nothing. Maybe I will… she’s pretty smart, I’m sure she can figure out how to get herself some lunch today, right?

1. so sorry…. bummer with all the lack of sleep, I don’t function well..

Leslies last blog post..a little bit of this & that…

May 19 11:31 am

2. My lovely daughter, whose crib is still in my bedroom, woke up at 1:30 and decided it was time to play. Any time she was in her crib she cried, wanting me to let her out to go roam the room or play on the bed. At 3am (yeah) I finally put her back in her crib for good and slept out in the living room. She didn’t fall asleep until almost 3:30.

I feel your sleepy-ness.

Backpacking Dads last blog post..Erin Goes to Super-Con

May 19 12:31 pm

3. Nichole

Awwww girl I am with you last night Sami was up at 4:00 she was laying down asleep but was still crying off and on so I went to get her and she was soaked throgh her PJ’s ???? that was not normal, we snuggled for 20 minutes and I put her back down (I think she was cold) I thought it was like May!!! I made Bill’s coffee and started a load of lundry and went back to bed!!! now I am all messed up too!! It is cold out side and all I want to do is watch Lifetime movies all day!!!!

May 19 12:50 pm

@Nichole & @BackpackingDad: I’m wondering if there was a full moon last night??? Seems like everybody’s little ones were awake and fussy! I hate it when the week starts off like this… happened last Sunday night too!

May 19 12:53 pm

Sorry you all had a long night. :( That’s got to be really frustrating—when there is no dirty diaper or other obvious reason for her to be up, and you can’t help thinking ahead to the next night and how to prevent it from happening again…

Maybe it’s a Sunday night thing because she wants to watch Desperate Housewives? hehe…

May 19 2:01 pm

6. Sometimes you’re just not tired, you know? You WANT to sleep, but you’re wide awake in the night? And you feel like crying, too. Maybe she just had one of those nights. ;)

Lauras last blog post..answers 2.10

May 19 3:08 pm

7. Shamelessly Sassy
    @shameleslysassy

Allie does this sometimes. I’m not sure why. It’s like that she thinks there is a huge party that starts when she goes to bed and ends when she wakes up. And I am with you on the napping thing. I always wake up from naps feeling worse. I generally wake up cranky and nauseous.

Shamelessly Sassys last blog post..Chasing the Ice Cream Truck

May 19 4:17 pm

8. She is screwing with your head. It won’t be the last time either. Damn kids.

Burgh Babys last blog post..He Didn’t Know What Hit Him

May 19 5:10 pm

9. I just linked in to your blog from Burgh Baby, and I agree! I HATE when the schedule is thrown for a loop…and especially that feeling when you think you got baby to sleep and snuggle back into your bed only to hear them start up again!! Hopefully you’ll fair better tonight!

Kathys last blog post..Tagged

May 20 1:38 am

@Kathy: oh YES, that is definitely the worst feeling. Just when I’d start to drift off again, she’s start crying.

Thankfully last night, she slept all the way through! yay! We all needed it for sure.

May 20 11:00 am

11. Nichole

Did you see the moon lastnight? it was full!!!!! so I guess the night before was crazy baby almost full moon night!!!!

May 20 11:24 am

@Nichole: I know!! My mom called me last night and was like ‘hey, I read your blog, and guess what? There’s almost a full moon!’ So maybe that WAS the problem. Which kind of stinks because that happens every month, grrrr! heh

May 20 11:50 am

13. I hate that feeling of waking up from a nap and feeling all disoriented! Hmm, maybe Maggie had a bad dream or something. Do babies do that?

Nickis last blog post..Dud Of A Day!

May 20 1:47 pm