taking one for the team

I was making dinner tonight (steak sandwiches from Rachael Ray, YUM-O!), and waiting for my mom to get there so she could watch Maggie, so that when Dan got home, he could go cut the grass (since it wasn’t raining for 2.5 seconds this week) and then while he was cutting the grass and my mom was watching Maggie, I could go to Power Yoga class at 7:15. (ah, nothing like the kid-shuffle!) The timer went off for the oven, alerting me that the tater tots were done. I threw on an oven mitt and opened the door.

Both Maggie and the cat (Scotty) suddenly became interested in the open door to the 450 degree oven, so I was hurrying to get the baking sheet out and on top of the stove so I could shut the oven door, saving both of them from being burned. In the process of all of that, the baking sheet tilted and, as a reflex, I reached out with my right hand to grab it.

That hand was NOT wearing an oven mitt.

I burned all 5 of my fingertips on that hand. At first I didn’t think it was too bad- you know those first few moments where a burn doesn’t actually hurt? Yeah, forgot that THAT PART ENDS. I didn’t really feel the pain until I went out to the grill to check the steaks and Oh My Word, the heat radiating up from the grill to my hands shot needles up my arm. I swear, I think I would have rather felt labor pains again.

I finished making dinner, taking breaks to run ice cold water over my red, sore fingertips- oh sweet relief, not unlike the epidural during labor (am I the only Mom who now compares everything to labor? I suppose it’s only natural to do so- it’s kind of a benchmark now for if something REALLY EFFING HURTS.) Then I slathered my fingers in triple antibiotic (with Pain Relief Medication! That doesn’t work for crap!) and taped about 57 Bandaids to my fingers so I could eat my dinner. I didn’t take any pictures, but I looked like a victim of a 4th of July celebration gone awry.

I did make it to yoga, and only a couple of times did I wince in pain and think maybe I should pack it in and go home. Something about the heated room and the pressure on my fingers during certain poses just really made those nerve-endings angry. But, I did make it through (yay!) and they’re actually feeling quite a bit better. Every 10 minutes or so, they’ll start throbbing and pinching pretty badly, but after a minute or so it goes away. And so far, only 2 fingers have blisters.

So basically, I demonstrated my love for my daughter, and surprisingly my cat, by throwing myself into the fire, so to speak. They’d better appreciate it.

1. Allison
    @AllisonB

OW! I’m so sorry! Burns are awful…I burnt the crap out of one of my fingers a few months ago and got a huge blister and didn’t heal for weeks and weeks. In fact, I still have a small mark if you look very closely.

And you are NOT the only mom who compares everything to labor. Whenever I think something hurts, I remind myself of what I went through and realize, “hey, this isn’t so bad after all!”

Allisons last blog post..The Sushi Made It All Worth It

May 15 10:33 pm

Ouch. :( And of course it’s your dominant hand, which sucks even more. I hope it heals quickly. At least you protected Maggie and the cat, thanks to the super-protective mom instinct!

If Oliver’s not occupied in another room, I block him out of the kitchen (with a gate in the doorway) while I open the oven. He knows the oven is “hot” but I don’t want to take chances. He’s too fast (and curious, and DEFIANT) anymore.

I compare everything painful to labor too. When I fell off the ski lift this year, everyone was sure I’d broken something, but I just laughed, “Are you kidding? After giving birth, this was like a 2 on a pain scale of 10.” (I’m also secretly hoping my next LABOR is a 2 on a pain scale of 10… heh. :)

May 16 12:09 am

@Melissa: Feeling much better today- I was afraid about getting a shower because the hot water would make them hurt, but it wasn’t too bad. Like you said, everything else is like a 2 on the pain scale, lol! And today they’re just more numb and weird feeling than painful (though I do have a couple nice blisters going on!)

We have 2 entrances to the kitchen, so I never bothered buying gates. Usually I will put Maggie in her pack-and-play (Lord help me when I can’t use that thing anymore!!!) and put on Sesame Street or something while I’m cooking dinner if she’s interested in hanging out in the kitchen… But last night, she was completely content playing in the living room- until about 2 minutes before the timer went off! Of course :)

May 16 8:48 am

4. That’s exactly how Braden learned the word hot…any time I would go near the oven and he would start wandering closer and closer, I would say “hot, hot!!! hot, hot!!!” And he would get the point. Now he will come up to the over and tell me, “it’s hot!”

I hope your hand feels better! Ouch!

Julies last blog post..Can someone explain this to me?

May 16 9:39 am

5. Ouch! Sorry you hurt yourself. I also compare things to the labor pain scale. Like the nurses ask you when you’re in labor – on a 1 to 10 scale how bad is this. Glad your kitty and baby are okay – good job Mommy.

the ambitious mrss last blog post..It Tastes So Good When It Hits Your Lips

May 16 9:49 am

6. All I can say is OUCH!! I’m feeling so sorry for your poor fingers. :(

Kriss last blog post..The amazing vanishing woman!!

May 16 10:33 am

7. ouch. burns are so not fun.
    at christmas I was hotgluing a project, and burned my finger tip.
    nothing helped except being in ice. I slept with my hand in ice. Literally all night long.

good thing I didn’t pee the bed.

Leslies last blog post..a little bit of this & that…

May 16 5:09 pm

8. Ugh, what a nightmare! I hope it gets better soon…. I think there is just about NO household injury more painful than a burn! At least when the kiddo gets older you can spend the rest of her life telling her about how you burnt your hand so badly to save her life!

Nickis last blog post..Rub-a-Dub Dub, Two Shorties In the Tub!

May 16 6:00 pm

9. Elisabeth

Ouch! I’m sorry that happened. It’s been burn central around here too; my husband managed to burn his heel mowing the lawn and then his fingers cooking all in the same day. We keep an aloe plant in our kitchen for burns; it really helps!

May 16 9:37 pm

10. The thing I found amazing about having kids is that this kind of reaction comes absolutely naturally. No hesitation. Really incredibly amazing.

Steves last blog post..Consumer discount cards for wine

May 17 9:01 am