free to ANY home

our first babies

Just kidding… we wouldn’t really give away our cats. We may be fantasizing about it ALL THE TIME lately, but we wouldn’t really do it.

Even if we totally should.

I never thought I would lose interest or tolerance or (gasp) love for my cats once I had a baby. But as it turns out- it’s just something that happens. I mean, we loved our cats when we got them. They were our babies, our furry-children. And since we didn’t have anything else better to do with our time, the fact that they were destroying things in our house (including our dryer, OH YES, Gracie broke our dryer.) and begging for food while we ate dinner and streaking around the house at 4am making a ton of noise- it was all ‘cute’. It was ‘endearing’. It was just what they did.

But now… now our patience is much lower. Maggie takes up 110% of our attention and affection and love, and we just can’t devote the time to playing with the cats and petting them and rubbing their bellies and scratching behind their ears. I still feed them, of course, and I keep their litter box scooped (even if I need to have Google Calendar send me reminders twice a week TO SCOOP THE CAT POO) Scotty even sleeps in our bed with us every night, but apparently that’s not enough. They want more. *sigh*

Now at 3am when we’re up with the baby for whatever reason, and one of the cats decides it’s time to play, it’s not so cute anymore. IT DISTURBS THE BABY. And Rule Number 1 is DO NOT DISTURB THE BABY. Strike 1. And every single freaking time Maggie eats in her high chair, Scotty waits until our backs are turned and reaches his dirty little paw up on the tray and tries to steal whatever it is she’s eating. No matter how many times I clap my hands and stomp and yell and even swat his nose, he will not give up. Strike 2. And if I get pissed off enough and lock him in our bedroom when he’s messing with her food, he scratches at the door to get out. Strike 3. And today, he left a nice 3 inch scratch on my arm when I tried to relocate him away from her chair. Strike BAZILLION.

war wounds

Dan’s solution to the problem is of course to “throw their asses outside”, which I can’t bring myself to do. First of all, they have NEVER gone outside, and I have my doubts as to their survival out there (to which Dan says: “So what?!”) Secondly, 95% of the aggravation is Scotty, the male (figures, heh) Gracie mostly keeps to herself and just wants pet now and then. She never begs for food and rarely makes much noise, except for when Scotty is eating her neck, in which case I can’t blame her. So punishing Gracie for Scotty’s annoying-ness doesn’t seem fair. Plus, having outside-and-inside cats just seems like an even bigger pain in the butt- let them in, let them out, oh look he ate something gross and now it’s partially digested and laying on the rug. No thank you.

Like I said, I don’t really want to give them away. (Depends on what we can get for them! heh. I kid.) I like the fact that Maggie, and any future kids we have, will grow up with pets. I think that’s a great thing (especially when I can pawn off poop-scooping as a Weekly Chore, woohoo!) Also, I have to say we have been pleasantly surprised at how well they’ve done with a very mobile infant crawling after them and trying to eat them. And I do still, somewhere deep down, love the kitties.

It’s just currently being drowned in the blood Scotty drew from my arm, and blocked out by the Annoying-ness and cat hair everywhere.

1. *sigh* I don’t feel like we LOVE our dog less, but I know he gets less affection and attention. I really try to make a special effort and go out of the way to give him a good pet now and again … and he and our daughter just love each other. But he doesn’t get a walk very often and he hasn’t been mountain biking since she was born (well maybe once) … I really hope things will start looking up for him as she gets a bit older. But I swore too that I wouldn’t treat him any different.

Of course I also wasn’t going to give her any refined sugar ’til she was 2. Hahahaha.

Mar 20 3:02 pm

2. Do *I* know where you are coming from! We have a dog. And he’s not a bad dog, he’s just a dog. And like you, he was our baby until we had a baby for real. And now he’s second (or maybe 10th) best in our hearts. And he is SO NOT BEING GOOD ABOUT IT!! He wasn’t too bad until I went back to work, and then all heck broke loose. He steals stuff off the counter, he eats carboard boxes to see if there is food inside. He’s just driving me bonkers. I frequently talk about getting rid of him.

But, I did discover a solution that seems to be working. Those baby gates we put up for NatNat work great to keep the dog contained. He now has the run of the exact same amount of space the baby has (except in his case its when we aren’t home), and since we started this – he hasn’t destroyed a thing. Its working a lot better. And I can finally stand him again.

Oh yeah, and the weather is getting nice, and we can leave him outside for longer chunks of time. So while some days I totally want to give him away, its getting better. I hope?

Kris’s latest blog post: The *new* sick…

Mar 20 3:13 pm

3. Candace
    @girlhaq

Awww! I hope Scotty can get his act together! I think it is great for children to grow up in a home that has pets also. Gene never had pets growing up and he was pretty afraid of Dogs until I got a puppy! And now we have a Great Dane… So he’s definitely not afraid of dogs anymore lol :) I can’t imagine being scared of dogs. I see talk shows interview people who have these terrible phobias of dogs and it is just so hard for me to even imagine what that is like. I love all animals so much! And maybe that is because I don’t have children yet.. but I sure talk to my dogs like they are my kids.

Candace’s latest blog post: The Chili Saga

Mar 20 3:23 pm

4. I totally sympathize…. Here’s one plus, though… Tolerate Scotty for Maggie’s sake. Kids that grow up with pets are less likely to have pet allergies! Of course this isn’t always true b/c we adopted Max b/c the toddler in her house had pet allergies…

Mar 20 3:54 pm

5. I am just really glad we don’t already have pets. I can tell you right now I would have ZERO tolerance…
    But I think when our kids are old enough to “pick out” animals and remember bringing them home and such… I like the idea of growing up having pets, too. :)

Laura’s latest blog post: a letter to my little boy: three months

Mar 20 4:39 pm

6. my cat drives me CRAZY. I mean CRAZY. I want to give her back to my mom, but my hubby refuses because “she’s part of our family” um. whatever. that beyotch is nuts. This will be the last cat i ever get. Dogs are just nicer. lol

I don’t think i could keep her if we had children. There is no way I’d tolerate a crying/whiney cat with a baby in the house. Bless your heart for being so nice.

laurie’s latest blog post: ring, ring…

Mar 20 6:32 pm

7. We love our cats but sometimes we want to give them away too. (Well, that’s what I threaten. My husband threatens to turn them into slippers… hehe.) They’re not bad very often, but the cat hair everywhere drives me crazy, and I hate keeping our upstairs doors closed to keep them out. And I feel really bad that they are at the bottom of the totem pole since Oliver came along, but that’s how it goes…

Melissa’s latest blog post: something blue

Mar 20 9:00 pm

8. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

Kovalev the cat, was so kick ass when I was pregnant. I would come home from work, she would jump in my arms and we would cuddle. She only ate Fancy Feast and slept UNDER our covers.

Then we had babies.

She hides under our bed, she only comes out when all kids are asleep and the dog is in bed. Then she thinks it is party time. I still like her though.

I then couldn’t get pregnant and though a dog would solve it. Yeah, the dog is in awe of the cat and the cat hates the dog. I also would rather scoop cat poo than shovel up dog poo ANYDAY.

Corrie’s latest blog post: We all just wanna be big rockstars…

Mar 20 9:12 pm

9. janet
    @loveisblonde

I hate my cats like 75% of the time right now too. They know JUST how to annoy the bejezus out of me — I just want them to run away! But sometimes they are cuddly…just enough to keep the back door closed.

janet’s latest blog post: on my wishlist

Mar 20 11:24 pm

10. mel
    @overdramaticmel

This is one of my worst fears. I have a dog (or should I say…Trent and I have a dog. heh…), who is turning 5 this year and is pretty well settled into his life with the two of us. But…uh…what happens when we have kids? He is an attention whore as it is and can’t be in a room alone (seriously, even if he can’t TOUCH us…he just can’t BE ALONE).

By the time Trent and I have kids…It is likely that Ike will be old and cranky and may not like dealing with kids. That would be bad. :(

mel’s latest blog post: just?.wow?.

Mar 21 12:12 am

11. Nichole

Wow I cant belive you have a cat who begs for food!! are sure he is not a dog?!

Mar 21 2:03 am

@jesser: hehe Isn’t it funny how your ideas change when faced with reality? hehe

Mar 21 9:29 am

@laurie: What is it with Crazy Cats? I always thought cats were low-maintenance, feed them and scoop their poo and they’d be fine. Except it hasn’t exactly happened that way! We’ve decided that this is probably it for pets for a loooong time!

Mar 21 9:33 am

@Melissa: haha Dan likes the slipper idea! Either that or a nice, soft rug ;)

Mar 21 9:34 am

@Nichole: It’s funny you say that, because we have always said that Scotty is way more like a dog. He needs attention all the time, won’t leave us alone when we eat… I never knew cats could be like him! He’s such an attention whore ;)

Mar 21 9:36 am

16. I know EXACTLY what you mean! I loooooooooooved my kitties before my baby was born. They had their own Christmas stockings, they sleep in our bed every night, etc etc. But after Lily was born one of my cats started meowing constantly and it always seems like they want to race around like wild crazies when she is napping. I really contemplated asking my Mom to take them. But things have gotten better and I feel that we’re all coexisting now. Lily does love them (she frequently takes them down if they get into range) and I still enjoy snuggling them in bed sometimes. I feel bad that they don’t get the TLC they once did but I guess that’s life!

the ambitious mrs’s latest blog post: Real People Food

Mar 21 11:04 am

17. Yes, yes, yes. We have 2 dogs and one was THE BABY before the real baby came along. Now their clacking nails disturb the baby. They steal food out of his hand. The chihuahua has gained 3 lbs. (for a grand total of 9) because he eats everything the baby drops. They need attention, food, and some hellacious vet visits. Ugh. I never had pets growing up and I keep telling myself this will get better as my son(s) get older and can take care of the dogs, and maybe bond with one or both of them. But now they are just ALWAYS UNDERFOOT!

Mar 21 1:47 pm

18. Crissy
    @Crissy

Wow, this scares me, since we have a cat and a puppy in the house now, and I really want to get pregnant this year.

Crissy’s latest blog post: Ten years ago?

Mar 21 3:09 pm

19. hmmm, I still love my kitties even after having kids, but I am with you on the 4 am tearing around the house like their a** is on fire thing. Enough!

Mar 24 10:57 pm