sleeping is a sign of weakness, apparently

Maggie was not very much into napping this weekend. Just a one hour nap both Saturday and today (and just a 45 minute nap on Friday at daycare) For the past 3 months, she has been waking up most nights at least once. A lot of it was caused by her being sick back in January and February, but even now that she’s better, she’s still waking up. Part of me thinks it’s now a habit (A BAD HABIT) and now more recently I think it’s because of some teeth trying to poke through those top gums. Either way: NOT FUN.

Most nights I’ve been able to get her back to sleep rather quickly with a little bit of a bottle. But I’ve really been trying to avoid doing that if I can because she doesn’t NEED the bottle, she’s not hungry. She’s just awake. A few times I was able to get her back to sleep by snuggling on the couch for a while… but at 3am, when I know if I just stick a bottle in her face, she’ll be asleep in 5 minutes. It’s just so much easier… and my bed is calling me… I just don’t want to fight it.

This weekend was kind of sucky. Dan is on ‘night duty’ at least one night each weekend, just so I can sleep through for once. And it used to be that it didn’t matter which side of the bed the monitor was on, because she’d sleep through the night with no problem. But now, not so much. So Friday night, he got up with her, but she was having none of it. And same thing last night. Mommy to the rescue (but then, during the day today, Mommy wasn’t good enough, she wanted Daddy. grrr)

The thing is, even though she woke up both nights and was up for about an hour each time, she slept until 9:30AM- and so did we!!!! So our whole day was thrown off. We had a ton of stuff we wanted to get done (see previous post…) and with our late start and her non-napping… it was just not happening the way we’d planned.

Normally, this stuff doesn’t bug me too much. I’m pretty laid back and cool (as in, nothing phases me, not ‘I sit at the Cool Table at lunchtime’.) But lately I’ve noticed in myself a very very short fuse, and I get very frustrated very quickly. Mostly in the middle of the night when Maggie is screaming at me, but even today when I realized I had left the can of paint for the kitchen cabinets out on the deck all winter so it was now frozen, and in order to paint the trim today, I needed to go buy more paint and waste a half-an-hour we DIDN’T HAVE… argh. I was a little irritated and may have slammed a few doors. Maybe.

I guess it’s just being tired and worn out and just needing a break that’s making me less tolerant of Life In General. I love Maggie and we have so much fun during the day, really we do. I just wish our good sleeper would come back, and we could get back to normal. Mommy and Daddy are TIRED, Sweetheart.

She definitely knows how to make things better though. Tonight, as she was fighting bedtime after being awake and tearing around the house for 12 hours, minus a 1-hour nap, she was snuggling on my lap, facing me. She pulled out her pacifier and leaned in to give me a huge, sloppy, wet ‘kiss’ on my chin. Twice.

The girl knows how to work it, my friends. We are in big, big trouble.

1. Aw, doesn’t it make you miss having a younger baby and doing the No Sleep thing every day? I mean, doesn’t it??? Haha. zzzzzZZZZZzzzzzz

Laura’s latest blog post: zz. zzzzzz.

Mar 17 12:29 am

2. oh geez… hope you have your sleeper back soon! And I’m praying for teeth right there with you!

Jane’s latest blog post: Sunday Blogging Catch-Up, Part 2 (Try Again)

Mar 17 7:34 am

@Laura: um, NOT SO MUCH! heehee… I guess it’s her way of making sure we don’t give her a brother or sister too soon ;) Good birth control!

Mar 17 9:29 am

4. I know what you mean about just being pissed in the middle of the night. Mine is usually directed at my husband! (Poor guy!) I’m mad he didn’t get up, mad he isn’t helping, mad he fell asleep before me, whatever!

Good luck, I hope everyone is sleeping better soon!

the ambitious mrs’s latest blog post: Victory Lap

Mar 17 12:47 pm

5. I have such a short fuse at night… Im telling you and like the ambitious mrs, its always directed at Nick poor guy. And I don’t have a cuddler at all. She likes to slap me in the face and push me away… motherhood is grand. Enjoy your sloppy kisses.

Leslie’s latest blog post: missing

Mar 17 2:17 pm

@Leslie: argh, Maggie gets violent too. She pinches HARD. It makes the whole thing that much worse! So I feel your pain there (literally, heh)

Mar 17 5:35 pm

7. Geez, I am so spoiled, I’m afraid to even comment here! :S I don’t have anything wise or funny to add, but I really do hope that Maggie starts sleeping through the night again, so that all three of you get back to normal!

Melissa’s latest blog post: cheerier notes

Mar 17 9:04 pm

8. Mine is a total snuggler, but that’s part of the problem. She wakes up in the night and wants to be held for a while. She’s almost 17 months, and I swear I don’t go a full week without her waking up at least one night. I’m trying to get used to it, ’cause I think its just something she will always do (I’m hoping she won’t always need me to be in there with her!).

I feel for you. And letting them cry it out never works – ’cause who can sleep through that!?!?!

Kris’s latest blog post: The *new* sick…

Mar 18 12:23 pm

9. Candace
    @girlhaq

Whenever I get really worn down and exhausted from every day things or planning this wedding.. I try to stop and remind myself that I don’t even have children yet so IT CANT BE THAT BAD! And I always read your blog for a little Welcome To Reality slap in the face :D And btw, I cannot BELIEVE she has grown so much and so quickly. Srsly, weren’t you pregnant a couple days ago???

Candace’s latest blog post: Wedding Favors? Check!

Mar 18 12:35 pm

10. I wish I could tell you the sleep thing gets better, but just when you get used to anything, they change everything.

Burgh Baby’s Mom’s latest blog post: Happy as a (Boiling Hot) Clam

Mar 18 5:16 pm

@Kris: Yeah I’ve tried the ‘crying-it-out’ thing at 3am when I got so frustrated I didn’t know what else to do. DOESN’T WORK! You’re right- who can sleep through the screaming? heh

I suppose when they’re grown up and teenagers and hate us, we’ll WISH they wanted us to hold them in the middle of the night, right? *sigh*

Mar 18 8:10 pm

@Candace: Oh it’s not *THAT* bad, really… most of the time, things are great. It’s just the long nights here and there that wear on me ;) And honestly- I’m not sure if I’d like to plan another wedding! THAT was a pain in the rear at times! And yes- it really feels like I was pregnant yesterday!!

Mar 18 8:12 pm

@Burgh Baby’s Mom: oh don’t I know it! Several times in the last few months I’ve been like ‘okay, great! We’ve got a routine going here!’ Then by the next week, it was all different. heh. I feel like a detective half the time!

Mar 18 8:14 pm

14. Honestly, I could relate to this post so much so that it felt like you were writing my daily life here. My son just completed 15 months and I’ve been doing this one-time-up-in-the-night routine for god knows how long. The bottle with formula is the only thing that has helped me else we are subjected to a loud orchestra that just goes on and on. He is not awake but makes that weird sound out of hunger and probably teething too.

Anyways, I just realised this is not my space to whine. I just hope Maggie gets better and you get your due share of sleep.

Lakshmi’s latest blog post: Vitamin drops / tonic / syrup for my toddler

Mar 19 12:19 pm

@Lakshmi: hehe, no go ahead- whine away ;) Misery loves company… and us Mamas need to share our pains!

Mar 19 1:44 pm