random bits

• Maggie has started doing all kind of things in the last couple of weeks: wanting to walk/run while holding onto our fingers ALL THE TIME and squealing with delight, turning light switches off when we pass one (can’t do ‘on’ yet!), sticking her finger up her nose, pointing at lights, trying to wink back at us when we wink at her. She’s like a little PERSON. I can’t believe my baby is almost a year old.
  • I have a padiddle on my car.
  • I mailed invitations for Maggie’s 1st birthday party this week. Again: CANNOT BELIEVE.
  • There are two small but noticeable-to-Mama bumps on Maggie’s top gums. She may have 2 more teeth by her birthday.
  • My kitchen is almost back to normal- it finally doesn’t have a fine coating of dust from the floor remodel. Still have to do trim work this weekend, but it feels soooo good to have it back in usable condition. Did I mention I love my new floors?
  • Maggie likes to redecorate my living room by using one of our end tables as a walker and leaving it in the middle of the floor.
  • I’ve been busy this last week or so trying to DRAG clients into finishing their sites. NEED CONTENT! If we don’t finish them, I don’t get paid. If I don’t get paid, we don’t have money for paying for my new floors. It’s simple, really. Mama needs some cash-flow!
  • Apparently my days of being in the bathroom alone are over. This morning I ‘did my business’ with a baby and two cats as an audience. It was fun.
  • I am totally digging the ‘no snow’ weather we’re having. It’s going to in the mid-50s and sunny today! WOO! I might even bundle Maggie up for a walk.

1. What is it with the babies sticking the fingers up the nose? Tabby was doing that and I was trying like everything to get her to stop … and then my dad goes and encourages it (nice move, Grandpa). I probably shouldn’t even have bothered because she seems to have lost interest.

I have one piece of advice for the first b’day. The single candle looks poetic, but just DON’T DO IT. Hope the first b’day is a big success. It does go way too fast.

Mar 13 10:47 am

2. We always had to hit the roof when doing padiddle.

Laura’s latest blog post: Crocs.

Mar 13 11:03 am

@jesser: I don’t know why they do the finger in the nose thing, but she always seems to do it when she’s got food all over her fingers!

Why no single candle on the cake?

Mar 13 11:18 am

4. Single candles are like magnets to small children. I have a wonderful series of pictures of my nephew, his first birthday cake and his burning his hand on the candle… was lovely (that and my BIL is a moron for getting close enough so the poor kid could grab it).

As for Maggie and the end table, Natalie was obsessed with pushing our footstool in our living room, once, she pushed it down the backhall, and more or less ‘locked’ her father in the garage. She had it wedged it in and then abandoned it. Was pretty funny. (for me, I’m positive my husband was not impressed since it was cold out and he wasn’t wearing shoes and had to go and wait at the front door for me to let him in).

Kristin’s latest blog post: A luxury few can afford…

Mar 13 3:22 pm

5. We used to say, “Padiddle, Popeye, you owe me a six-pack!” in high school. And I was told one time that tail lights are kerflinkidink’s.

julie’s latest blog post: All about my pregnancy!

Mar 13 4:10 pm

@julie: We always called tail-lights ‘geronimos’. I have no idea why. heh

Mar 13 5:03 pm

7. I always find myself yelling padiddle (and touching the ceiling, as is custom in my family) in cars with other people who have no idea what I”m talking about. I then have to lower my hand in awkward silence. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who knows about those.

Amanda’s latest blog post: I can’t hear you over the blowdryer

Mar 13 7:58 pm

8. We went for a walk yesterday. Maria was entranced by the water rushin in the gutters! :) Sounds like we’re in for snow on Monday though. Dang!

Jane’s latest blog post: Weekend

Mar 14 7:20 am

9. We used to do padiddle, too. Forgot about that… heh.

The bathroom is an issue around here, too… I used to bring Oliver in the bathroom with me, but after he turned 18 months, I decided it was time for some privacy. However it’s really challenging to ‘go’ while someone is banging on the door, crying, and yelling for me to open the door (“MAMAAA! O-PAAAH!!!!”). George probably wonders what in the world I’m doing when he’s home and I ask him to watch Oliver while I’min the bathroom for like TEN MINUTES, but I’m just enjoying the peace and quiet. :D

I think the whole turning-into-a-person thing goes even faster the second year. Or maybe it’s just me. Some days I swear Oliver is acting like a teenager already. :P But there’s more fun in store, too, I promise. I hope Maggie’s 1st birthday party is a blast! :)

Melissa’s latest blog post: cheerier notes

Mar 14 6:54 pm