was kinda hoping we’d get George Clooney, but no such luck

Last night, around 3 am, we went to the emergency room with Maggie. It was quite a monumental occasion, our first middle-of-the-night visit to the ER with a sick, feverish child. Not really something I was particularly looking forward to, but a milestone nonetheless.

She started with a fever on Friday and it continued off and on all through Saturday and Sunday. It hovered around 100 or 101, which, according to all of The Books and The Internet, is not high enough in a 10-month-old to warrant a call to the doctor (103 is the magic number, apparently) That doesn’t mean I didn’t second-guess myself 8,923 times this weekend. Because I totally did. And still am. And probably will forever and ever, Amen, now that I’m A Mom.

There was very very little sleep for all of us for several days in a row. (Not to mention the entire week before where she was up at least 2 times each night with a runny/stuffy nose and a cough) So last night at 7:30 when Maggie went to bed, I decided that I would go to sleep early as well. So by 9, I was in bed. By 9:30, we were up with a screaming baby with a fever. And this time, it was approaching the 103 degree mark. We gave her some Motrin and after an hour, it had gone down to 101 and she was feeling much cooler to the touch. She was still fussing and crying, and eventually passed out on me at midnight. I climbed into bed exhausted, hoping to get at least a few hours of sleep before she woke again.

Forty-five minutes later, she was screaming, which was bad. But she wasn’t hot, which was good. However the screaming continued for another 2 hours, with 10 or 15 minutes breaks here and there, and eventually we decided that we needed to do SOMETHING. Maggie doesn’t scream for no reason, she never has, and it was starting to get scary. When we called the poor doctor at 2am and explained the whole situation, she told us to go ahead to the ER. So we packed up and headed out.

Turns out she has an ear infection. Not a bad one, and possibly just the start of one. We were home by 4:30am and all asleep by 5. Up again at 8. Poor Dan was going to work at home today but got called in for Important Stuff That Apparently Cannot Wait Until Tomorrow (needless to say, he was not happy, given that he only got 3 hours of sleep) I took Maggie to her regular doctor this morning to get a double check on her ears, because I didn’t want to give her antibiotics if it wasn’t absolutely necessary. The doctor there agreed, and I gave her the first dose a little while ago after her nap and she’s asleep again already.

I think the hardest thing about parenting is when kids are sick. We kept getting so frustrated last night when she wouldn’t calm down, we were almost yelling at her, and then immediately feeling guilty for it because DUDE, SHE’S SICK. It’s not like she can help it. But at 2am after 4 hours of almost non-stop screaming and over a week without a good night’s rest, it can really start to break down your mental and emotional strength. Just ask Dan about how I was sobbing into my baby’s head while he called the doctor. Argh.

I tried taking a nap a little while ago, but I think I’m too tired to sleep. Plus, my nose is still congested and my throat is a little sore from my cold which makes sleeping fun. We were so wired last night at 3:30 in the morning, we weren’t even tired at the ER. Having a sick kid is scary and miserable and sad and so not fun. We want our happy baby back!

1. Priscilla
    @pgreen730

I remember taking Jada to the ER when she was about Maggie’s age for a high fever. In our case it was nothing but still scary.
    I hope she is feeling better soon…I get ear infections all the time so I know how painful they can be.
    I had to laugh about the post title!! hehe!!

Feb 18 2:00 pm

2. That sucks about the ER visit. My parents frequently visited the er when I was a child, I had multiple ear infections. Hopefully my kids don’t inherit that from me.

P.S. – I realized you are reading the other boleyn girl! My roommate started reading it, and then another roommie did and I got it for v-day an I’ve finished it and now my 3rd roomie is reading it! We’re going to see this movie when it comes out and are already planning on reading the other books that are related by Gregory. Isn’t it a great read?

Becca’s latest blog post: Not Bridezilla?. yet

Feb 18 2:13 pm

3. Mel
    @overdramaticmel

I totally wish I could be there for you right now to give you a hug. And cook you dinner or clean house or something. You poor exhausted mommy AND daddy…. :(

Mel’s latest blog post: Shout out to Kristen!

Feb 18 2:43 pm

4. Seriously, you could have called me last night to vent! We were at the ER Too!! I have yet to post, about it yet though. figured I’d save it all up until we went to her follow-up appt this afternoon!

Jane’s latest blog post: Bath to Sleep!

Feb 18 3:39 pm

5. I hope she is feeling better quickly. This is one of those things I did NOT understand before having a kid. And sometimes I still don’t. But when he is crying and crying, I slowly start feeling like he’s saying, “I hate you Mom!” There’s no logic to the way parents react to their crying children – I suppose it’s emotion and instinct only, which is hard for me.

Laura’s latest blog post: me the american girl

Feb 18 5:15 pm

6. janet
    @loveisblonde

oh man I am sorry! that sounds not fun at all. I hope Maggie starts feeling better and you all get some sleep!

janet’s latest blog post: spreading the love all across the internets

Feb 18 7:09 pm

7. I’m fortunate to say that I don’t know what dealing with a sick child is like (*knocking on wood*)… I can’t imagine how helpless and exhausted you guys must have felt. And most of all, I feel bad for poor Maggie. :( I hope that she’s doing better by now. And I hope all three of you get a good night’s rest!

Lots of hugs.

Melissa’s latest blog post: sometimes

Feb 18 9:41 pm

8. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

Poor baby. I always say better safe than sorry. You never know, when we took Joey when he had RSV I just thought they would send us home and tell me to give his Tylenol, never did I expect him to be on life support. That’s why I always say, “Go to the ER”, trust what you feel.

Corrie’s latest blog post: Little J Talk

Feb 18 11:14 pm

9. The worst part of parenting is them not being able to tell you that they don’t feel good. I can finally get Braden to answer yes or no to where it hurts.

I hope Maggie starts feeling better very soon! And you too mom! It’s not fun being sick and taking care of a child too!

Julie’s latest blog post: All about my pregnancy!

Feb 19 11:51 am

@Corrie: That’s exactly why we decided to go- the simplest things can be signs of bigger, more dangerous problems and we didn’t want to take any chances. Of course, you do feel silly when they tell you it’s just an ear infection, but we were just glad that’s all it was!

Feb 19 6:37 pm

11. thanks for the congrats…

but so much bummer on this post.. and the second guessing.. ohhh the second guessing.

Leslie’s latest blog post: oh baby…

Feb 19 10:25 pm

12. I hope you have your happy baby back soon! We’re struggling with some major teething pain and I there is nothing I hate more then not being able to help when I see my baby is in pain! I hope you all get some rest soon!

the ambitious mrs’s latest blog post: Blessed

Feb 20 12:33 pm

13. Wow, it’s stories like this that makes parenting sound so scary! Glad to hear that little Maggie is going to be okay.

angela’s latest blog post: You could call us celebrities.

Feb 24 8:22 am