book recommendations

I’m almost finished with Book #7 in the Harry Potter series (DO NOT TELL ME HOW IT ALL ENDS. I HAVE MADE IT THIS FAR WITHOUT EVEN A HINT!) and after that, I will have zero books left on the shelf to read. Which I’m kind of excited about, because it means I can start fresh with a new series, a new author, etc.

So Internet! I need some recommendations! What should I read? I like lots of different kinds of books… romance (usually historical- I like some background to the story, not just the cheesy euphemisms for male body parts), mystery, suspense, historical fiction- I’m really not picky. What I DON’T like are books that ramble on and on for pages about nothing, I like when something happens. I get bored easily. (Plus, I usually only find time to read at night before bed, so if it’s boooooring and rambly, I’ll fall right to sleep. And even sometimes during Harry Potter I struggle, even though it’s NOT boring at all. Because I’m old and tired and pathetic.)

Some of my favorite books/authors in the past:

Philippa Gregory (I still have a few of these to read, but I loved the ‘Wideacre’ trilogy)
Sandra Brown
Dan Brown
LaVyrle Spencer (can sometimes get a bit cheesy, but most of them are good)
John Jakes

If you know any authors who are similar in style/content to those, or if you have a favorite author or book, please recommend it! I trust you guys more than Amazon.

1. Jane

January 24, 2008 10:43 pm

Pope Joan, by Donna Woolfolk Cross. My favorite book ever! Historical fiction, with a little romance thrown in there! I tell you, when I was reading this, I would get up in the morning before work to go to the gym and work out on the stairmaster, so I could read this book!

Jane’s latest blog post: Snot, Pink Eye, Ear Infection, and More Snot

2. Laura

January 25, 2008 12:28 am

Seriously, the Wideacre trilogy isn’t even close to her best stuff. Get yourself The Other Bolelyn Girl, The Virgin’s Lover, The Constant Princess. (My HUSBAND is even reading that last one because he picked it up in the bathroom and now he’s hooked…)

If you like LaVyrle, try Rosamunde Pilcher. Her best book is The Shell Seekers, but I believe that September and Coming Home are also up there.

As for other random good books, if you’re into just random popular fiction novels, My Sister’s Keeper is by far Jodi Picoult’s best work (in my opinion) and the entire Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series is a wonderful light read, if you haven’t gotten to those already.

Laura’s latest blog post: teeny little fussy guy

3. Katharina

January 25, 2008 4:25 am

Hm, I’m not sure if these would be too boring – there are definitely some long, descriptive-only passages in it which I love – but I really recommend Khaled Hossein’s “The Kite Runner” and a “Thousand Splendid Suns”!

A great love story which is somewhat full of action is Audrey Niffenegger’s “The Time Traveler’s Wife”, which is going to be a major motion picture as well. I loved that book!

Cheesy and girly and not-that-special but funny and heart-warming and entertaining: anything Sophie Kinsella and Cecilia Ahern.

My dad loves Dan Brown books, although I don’t. But aside from Dan Brown he always reads Clive Cussler books. Maybe that’s something you’d want to look into?

Katharina’s latest blog post: Honestly, how bad can a day that involves peanutbutter cups be?

4. Thomas

January 25, 2008 4:30 am

Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

Thomas’s latest blog post: Your Cheatin’ Heart

5. Sara

January 25, 2008 8:04 am

I hope you like the 7th book! I have to say I was sad when I closed it after reading it. It’s an entire chapter in our lives finished.

I’ve read the following in the recent past and I’m reading some of them now as well:
    Marian Keyes
    Sophie Kinsella
    Jennifer Chiaverini
    Sandra Dallas

My favorite trilogy to re-read: Adriana Trigiani – Big Stone Gap, Big Cherry Holler and Home to Big Stone Gap. I think that’s the order that they were written.

Jennifer Weiner: I liked her first two books, but, after that I didn’t really enjoy them.

Nicholas Sparks: If you want to cry for days, read his stuff.

Cara Lockwood has a great book, fun read: Dixieland Sushi. I literally laughed till my stomach hurt!

If you are on Facebook, give me a shout. I have an iRead list on there. :)

Sara’s latest blog post: How long has it been?

6. Miss Wisabus

January 25, 2008 8:17 am

Claire Marvel by John Burnham Schwartz

He also has another very good book, Reservation Road, that is about to be released as a film.

Miss Wisabus’s latest blog post: I’m A Good Catch

7. Jennifer

January 25, 2008 9:04 am

These is my Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 by Nancy Turner.

I checked this book out from the library and as soon as I finished, I ran out to the bookstore and bought it. I loved it!

8. Ashley

January 25, 2008 9:28 am

Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. Its romance, its history, and its got hunky Scottish men. What’s not to love?

9. Mel

January 25, 2008 11:02 am

I love anything by James Patterson and Nicholas Sparks. :)

Mel’s latest blog post: good news – bad news

10. Nichole

January 25, 2008 11:46 am

The best book I ever read was “The Secret life of Bees” my Sue Monk Kidd, It is about mothers and Daughters…It is funny and sad.

11. Kristin

January 25, 2008 1:03 pm

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons!! My. Favourite. Book. EVER!!!

January 25, 2008 3:45 pm

I tend to read the exact kind of books that would put you to sleep, so I’m probably not much help. BUT, I do second Laura’s suggestion about My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult–I stayed up late two nights to read it because I couldn’t put it down!

Melissa’s latest blog post: a better idea

13. ellessu

January 25, 2008 6:48 pm

If you like funny, I really recommend anything from David Sedaris, especially “Me Talk Pretty One Day” and “Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim”. Both are full of tidbits and anecdotes from his own life. I was at one of his readings a couple of years ago, and he had me in tears, he was so hilarious. His sister is Amy Sedaris and she cracks me up too. Man, to have grown up in that household!

ellessu’s latest blog post: Over Easy

14. Elisabeth

January 26, 2008 12:03 am

I absolutely loved “The Time Traveler’s Wife” by Audrey Niffenegger.

15. Rachel

January 26, 2008 10:04 pm

I LOVE Phillipa Gregory. “The Constant Princess” was my favorite of the series.

Maybe try David Sedaris? “Naked” was my favorite.

Rachel’s latest blog post: A series of different relationships in three sentences

January 29, 2008 2:06 pm

Just thought of another great book – “A Thousand Splendid Suns” by Khaled Hosseini!

Melissa’s latest blog post: somewhere along the way

17. Janelle

January 29, 2008 9:42 pm

I also highly recommend A Thousand Splendid Suns and the Kite Runner. Another one of my recent favorites that I recommend is “The Memory Keeper’s Daughter” and I apologize for not knowing the author off-hand. For “lighter” reading, I suggest “Something Borrowed” and “Something Blue” by Emily Giffin. Very easy reads that I could not put down! Jennifer Weiner (Author of In Her Shoes) has a lot of lighter, easy reads as well.