does this mean it’s over?

I lost my wedding band.

Actually, that’s not entirely accurate. Because I know where it is. I just can’t get to it.

Last Saturday, we were having some friends over for dinner. While Maggie was napping, I took a shower and Dan went out to get some beer for the evening’s festivities. I was almost finished getting ready- just needed to dry my hair- and Maggie woke up. And she was PISSED. So then I got all frantic and tried to finish up in the bathroom, putting my makeup back in the cabinet (if I leave anything out, one of the cats is likely to steal it or try to eat it!) and I thought I could at least put my styling cream on my hair and dry it later. I took my rings off like I always do, and they fell to the floor. I watched them bounce, saw them both, and I reached down to pick them up. My engagement ring was right there (THANK GOODNESS!) but my wedding band wasn’t.

I got down on the floor to look closer. I looked over the entire floor, under the trash can, everywhere. Our bathroom is pretty small, and I saw the direction where it went, so I knew it had to be there somewhere. It doesn’t just disappear! Or does it?

Do you want to know where it is? It’s under the vanity. And not ‘under’ as in ‘inside the door under the sink’. I mean, ‘under the cabinet’. There is about a 1-inch space (that I didn’t know was there before, but now I do) between the baseboard on the front and the base of under the cabinet. And I’m almost 100% positive that my ring bounced just enough to go through that space. That, or it vanished into thin air.

The space is just small enough that I can’t fit more than a few fingers in, and it’s at such a weird angle that I can’t reach down and touch the bottom of the other side. So the question: How in the HECK am I going to get my ring back?

I guess I should mention that my wedding band isn’t one of those fancy-pants ones with lots of diamonds on it. When we got married, we didn’t have much money and we were paying for a lot of the wedding ourselves, so we didn’t spend a lot of money on the rings. My wedding band is a simple gold ring and cost us about $30. So it’s not the money that I’m concerned about- it’s the sentimental aspect. We’d actually talked about getting a nicer band for me later, maybe at our 5 year anniversary (which came and went this past June!) but even if I replace it with something fancier someday, I’d still like to keep the original one. It’s the one Dan placed on my finger at our wedding! It’s important!

I am just very very very glad it wasn’t my engagement ring that bounced into the space. Because we probably would have torn apart our bathroom this weekend to get it back. That baby was a lot more than $30!
So since Saturday, my left ring-finger has been half-naked. I look like a young, newly-engaged college chick (just let me believe this, okay? hee) We haven’t yet made an attempt to get it out of there, mostly because we haven’t had time to try anything. My mom came up with a good idea we might try, which involves cutting part of the bottom out of the inside, under the drawers so the hole would be hidden, and seeing if we can reach it that way. So I just might try it next week, or next weekend if I need Dan’s help with it.

Contrary to what Dan said, this wasn’t just a ploy to get a new, sparkly, diamond band from him :) I just never knew how much the simple band meant to me! I want it back.

1. Nichole

That sucks!! When Bill went back to work after our honeymoon, he is a contractor and was doing drywall and stuck his hand in the pull out wires for the outlet and his ring fell off in the wall, He had to cut the new drywall to get it out! And I know how you feel not wearing a wedding ring, When I was pregnant with Sami my fingers were sooo swollen and I could not wear my rings, so I made Bill buy me a new bigger band, because I was pregnant and hating getting that “No ring look” And a client even asked me once “about the babys father”!!!!! I went home and said you have to buy me a new ring!!!! I am agian wearing my pregnant ring! and my good ones are in the safe. Good luck getting it out, I hope it is not that hard! Bill is sleeping now, I will ask him tomorrow what is the best way for you to get it out!!!

Oct 25 8:41 pm

2. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

Could you use a wire hanger? Swiff it around under there a few times?

I know swiff isn’t a word. I just invented it.

Oct 25 8:54 pm

3. Oh no! I’m sure you can get it out somehow… although you could kind of, you know, take your time about it (maybe don’t try TOO hard until after you get a new sparkly one? heehee ;).

We had my rings soldered together, so they’re not quite as easy to lose, but I did manage to drop them down the kitchen sink drain once.

Oct 25 9:58 pm

4. *raising hand* I too have a solid gold band as a wedding ring. Mine was $26 back in the day.

Maybe one of those long tool things they sell at Sears? Greg bought one of those not too many moons ago. I stole the short one for my Roomba dust bunny removal, but the one he has is pretty long.

I hope you get it out quickly and painlessly!

Oct 25 10:23 pm

5. Sounds like an excuse to renovate.

Oct 25 11:26 pm

6. mel
    @overdramaticmel

I don’t believe it. I think it was a ploy to get a new one. ;) JK. I don’t have any new suggestion (though I would have said wire hanger if it hadn’t been said already — those things ROCK. especially when you lock your keys in your car and you were lucky enough to leave the window cracked…just slip the baby in and unlock the car…anyway….), but I hope that you find a way to get it. :)

Oct 25 11:43 pm

7. Chelsea

Yeah, wire, or if you have a vacuum cleaner that you trust, just try and use that to at least pull it out. I did that with a ring that has a ton of sentimental value (not a wedding ring or anything, but a friendship ring, more or less, with some girlfriends of mine from college) when it fell between the wall and one of our looser floorboards. I just held it enough away to kind of get it moving out- I was too worried I’d break the vacuum on it, though, but still. Worth a shot. That or definitely WIRE HANGER, I agree with everyone saying how much they rule.

Oct 26 9:41 am

8. Chuck has lost his wedding band quite a few times, he’s on his second ring already! His first band is under a road or parking lot somewhere! He took it off at work so it wouldn’t get ruined, put it in his pocket, the pocket had a hole in it and just like that…it was gone. He was very upset about that and still is when we mention it. Good luck!

Oct 26 10:56 am

9. janet
    @loveisblonde

oh, i would be so sad too! I guess it’s better that you know where it is but can’t reach it than the opposite, right??

A new sparkly band might be a good Xmas present in the meantime :)

Oct 26 11:05 am

10. Man…I don’t know what I would do if I *lost* my wedding band. I would feel naked without it. I hope you’re able to retrieve it from under there.

Oct 26 1:26 pm

11. I HOPE YOU GET IT BACK!!

Oh my gosh, I’m ALWAYS afraid I’m going to drop one of my rings down the sink and lose it forever.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Oct 26 2:08 pm

12. Oh Good Luck!

I finally got my ring back on my finger yesterday! It’s been off since early March! It was weird! My rings are bonded together, so I can only lose both of them!

Oct 26 4:24 pm