WARNING: boob talk ahead

Last night I spent 2 hours trying on clothes at Kohl’s. It has to be the most frustrating 2 hours OF MY LIFE.

It’s not just that I have a few extra pounds to lose from having a baby. I’m fine with that, I’ve accepted it, that’s just how it is. And heck, it’s only been 2 months. But it’s almost like my body is just… a different shape. I suddenly have big hips and I’ve never had big hips before, even when I was trying to lose weight the last time. Pushing a baby out seems to have widened my bones or something. And my boobs? OH MAN. They are large. Very very in-the-way.

But that’s not really where my main frustration was. IT’S WITH THE CLOTHING PEOPLE. I will never understand why a Large simply means LONGER. Seriously. There is absolutely no more room in the boob area than the smaller sizes. I tried on about a gazillion shirts, different styles, both larges and mediums and sometimes extra large- the only real difference was that they were longer. They were all equally tight in my boobs. Or if they were bigger in the boobs (often too big for me) they were super super tight around the waist and hips. GRR. Who is shaped like this? WHO? A Barbie doll?

Of course, that was in the juniors department. See, I’m having a bit of a dilemma. I’m at a weird in-between age where I still like (most of) the styles in the juniors department but the sizes are just all wrong for me now. But I go to the womens’ department and don’t really like any of the clothes. It’s stuff my mom would wear- and no offense Mom :) But I’m only 28!! I’m not ready for those clothes yet! I did manage to find a few things I thought were cute and more my age, but again I had a lot of trouble finding things to fit properly. I’m not sure if it’s just me getting adjusted to my new body shape or the cut of some of the clothes, or even a combination of things. But basically: FRUSTRATING.

And don’t get me started on the bras. I only breastfed for 7 weeks, but my poor boobs are feeling a bit deflated. I have to wear a bra all the time now (except for sleeping and let me tell you how happy I am to finally be able to go bra-less at night!) I’ve still been wearing my nursing bras, only because they are the only ones I have that fit well and give me some decent support. But I’m longing for a few good bras with underwires and no convertible, open-able cups. Simple, right!

I usually get my bras at Target or Wal-Mart. Spend $10 or $15 and get a bra. I’ve never wanted to spend a lot on bras because hello? They’re underwear. But this time, I thought I’d try on a few more expensive brands and see what the difference was- I mean for $30 it must be a great fitting bra, right? Before I went, I even measured myself following instructions I found on several websites. I’m a 38-D now (holy crap, thank you pregnancy) Then I set out to find myself a nice bra at Kohl’s!!

My first complaint: WHERE ARE ALL OF THE D-CUPS??!?!?!?!!?

I looked at 7 different brands. SEVEN. And 2 of them had NO D-CUPS to be found. None. And the rest of them only had a few sprinkled in here and there, so I couldn’t even really be picky about the styles I tried on. If it was a D, I picked it up. Front clasp? Racerback? Strapless? Seamless? Padded? Enhancing? If it said D in the size, I grabbed it.

My second complaint: THESE ARE NOT D-CUPS.

A few of the bras I tried on said clearly on them: 38D. But people, these were clearly not large enough to hold my boobs in. I was bulging out everywhere! And the tops of my nipples were showing in some of them, the cups were so little! (oh my I can just see the Google hits I’m going to get now that I’m talking about nipples) Perhaps I’m a DD? But even if I am… I had enough trouble finding Ds, I don’t know how I’d ever track down a DD bra. And I measured myself carefully several times, so I’m pretty sure my size is correct. So I tossed those bras aside right away.
My third complaint: WHY ARE THEY MORE EXPENSIVE?

I did find a couple of bras that fit my boobs. No (or very little) bulging, covered nipples, etc. But honestly? These $30-$40 were no more comfortable than the $10 ones I’ve worn in the past. In fact, a few of them felt even flimsier and less supportive than the cheaper ones. The only thing different was the fancy name on the tag. PSSSSHHHT. I’m no sucker.

My fourth complaint: SPORTS BRAS FOR $40????

I at least thought I’d be able to find a sports bra or two while I was there. I wear those around the house and when I go for walks and stuff. The cheapest ones I could find? $25. For a sports bra! Some elastic and stretchy cotton! Maybe I’m just being cheap but damn. That’s a lot of money for something I’m just gonna sweat in.

So I did not purchase any bras last night. However, I did come home with a new pair of shorts (maternity shorts, yes I revisited that department, but I was desperate and they are quite cute and very comfy!), a red button-down shirt, a white camisole tank top for wearing under stuff, and some khaki capris- all NON MATERNITY! So it wasn’t a completely wasted trip, but after 2 hours of trying on clothes, it sure was frustrating and exhausting.

1. Susheela

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with clothing sizes — that sucks!

As for bras, I used to only spend $20 max. on a bra and after measuring myself I thought I was a 34/36 B/C (depending on brand). Then a got a few suggestions on LiveJournal to check out this bra boutique in the city (Toronto). It’s hella expensive, but they measured me (turns out I’m a 32D!) and I bought two bras (total $160-ish CAD), but my boobs have never felt or looked so good :P

I know it’s hard to reconcile spending so much money on a bra, but I realized that these two bras will be worn everyday, probably for the next two years.

Also, I tried finding a 32D at my regular department stores/mall lingerie stores, and I found ONE and it didn’t even fit properly.

I say, see if you can find one of those boutiques, or even get measured at the department store and make sure you’re being sized correctly.

Your boobs are going to shrink, so I can understand not wanting to spend so much on a bra right now, but once they’re down, I highly recommend making the investment ;D

Jun 1 7:17 am

2. Shana

Ugh, finding clothes is so frustrating! I wish there was specifically a mid-20s to mid-30s department in every store, with the styles suitable to our age group and sizes that are actually realistic for our bodies. I was just complaining about this to my mom last week. I try shopping in the juniors department because I like the clothes, but even what they consider “large” doesn’t fit (too narrow, yet too long). But the clothes in the women’s department are clothes my mom or grandma would wear. Do stores not realize that they’re ignoring a big part of their clientele?

Jun 1 7:52 am

3. crystal
    @kidthingsnet

I prefer the junior’s department, too. However, at 27, I feel old when I’m there now. Plus, like you, because of kids, my body is definitely not shaped the same. I’ve decided to wait until I’m done breastfeeding and my body kind of settles a bit before I try to find new clothes. So for the past year, I’ve just been squeezing into my old stuff, which is frustrating in itself.

Jun 1 7:54 am

4. I KNOW your frustration. I have big boobs (38-c/d depends on the bra!) ….and I hate them! I wish I was like a 36C. I have to buy shirts in the Ladies Dept….I don’t fit in the juniors anymore. But, I buy more from Dept Stores, or Target has great clohtes….Also, Charlotte Russe has cute tops that even big-chested girls can wear. you gotta search though.

And our hips have changed def. It won’t matter how much weight you (or I) lose, they’ll never be the same. Sigh.

Jun 1 2:08 pm

5. Sunshine

Juniors clothes are cut for the average 12 year old w/ no curves.

Can you get to a NY & Co (used to be Lerner). They have nice clothes that don’t look like our moms should wear them. It can be expensive – but when I need something “nice” it’s usually the first place I go.

As far as bras go, I would either say to check out VS (because they carry all sizes) or a boutique where they can measure & fit you. I know it can be expensive but the right fitting bra makes you more comfortable and makes clothes fit better as well.

Jun 1 2:24 pm

6. Priscilla
    @pgreen730

Yep, our bodies definitely change after having a baby….things just aren’t the same, especially in the hips, they do get wider.

I’m trying to look for nursing bras now and I have no idea what I’m doing. Am I supposed to buy the size that I am right now? Do I buy a bigger cup size to accommodate a larger boob for when my milk comes in? It’s all so darn confusing!!

I still like to shop in the juniors dept for the shirts but as far as jeans/shorts, I have to go to the misses/ladies because I hate having my butt hanging out of the shorts!

Sunshine suggested NY & Co. they are opening one up (it might already be open) in the shops where the new Old Navy is on Rte. 19. I have shopped in that store before and I agree with her, the styles are still “young” enough but the cuts are more for grown ups.

Jun 1 2:36 pm

Prissy- I was just thinking about that NY&Co store- I do like their clothes but hardly ever go there because the only one around here was at Ross Park- but now there’s one close by! I’ll definitely have to check it out, I’m getting desperate for clothes I tell ya!

I was told to wait until 36 weeks to buy nursing bras because your boobs supposedly fill out a lot towards the end. That way you get a more accurate cup size. I found some good ones at Target, they don’t have a ton but they weren’t ridiculously expensive (I got lucky and they were having a sale- I got a few for $6 each!!)

Jun 1 2:50 pm

8. I’m amazed you can shop in the jr department at all… I’ve felt too old for that section for years. I pretty much stick with granny places, where I’m always the youngest shopper. :D

Jun 1 6:56 pm

9. Jenn
    @kissmykitty

I’m not even bothering to go clothes shopping right now. I’m plus-size, which makes clothes shopping a little more difficult and a lot more aggravating. But throw in super huge breastfeeding boobs (DDD!!!), forget it. It’s almost impossible.

However, I *have* managed to find wonderfully fitting bras – Lane Bryant. They have cup sizes from B or C going all the way up to DDD and even higher for some styles, and band sizes start around 34. They can measure you just to be sure of your size, and maybe give you some personal recommendations. The prices aren’t too bad – lower end bras start around $15, and the more pricey ones, like the ones I found, are around $35.

Jun 1 6:58 pm

10. Mel
    @overdramaticmel

TMI, but my mom apparently had gone up to a DD after all of us kids were born….She’s back down to a D, but her brand of choice for the longest time? Playtex (http://www.playtexbras.com/)I believe you can get those at JC Penney’s (But go here: http://www.playtexbras.com/shop/store-locator.asp to find a store near you). Those usually are in the $20-30 range to start with, I believe. No, they aren’t the most glamorous of bras, but they have great coverage and look very natural, etc. I can’t believe I know this much about bras….
    PS: I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a DD at VS.

I’m scared now of the hip widening thing. I already have so-called birthing hips…I wonder if they’ll get even wider…Hmm….

Jun 2 2:05 am

11. boobs suck.
    i’ve just stopped breastfeeding (today its official), and i’m not sure when i’ll transition myself from a once-white-now-disgustingly-grey-and-colourless nursing bra to one that actually holds my boobs UP and makes them look more like breasts than belly-button buddies. lol.

anyway – I feel your pain. I tried on pants when Heidi was 2 months old – the maternity ones didn’t fit, and neither did my old pants. I think there should be a rule about post-partum clothing shopping… “don’t do it” :)

Jun 2 3:23 am

12. I really haven’t been able to shop in Department store’s junior sections since I went from kids clothes to non kids clothes, since in 5th grade my boobs jumped from nothing to a b, then in 6th grade a b to a dd. Nothing I can find in the juniors dept. will fit my boobs, and if it does it looks like I am wearing a tent and is super fitted on my boobs and just billows out around the rest of my body. It’s amazing if I try on clothes in juniors, i’ll have to get xl, but I can go to other stores and wear a small/medium.

Jun 3 4:23 am

13. Is it sad that even after 7 months, I still wear a few of my maternity clothes. The pants are just too comfy and they look like normal pants. The shirts are only because I have no other shirts to wear. I used to wear short shirts, but with my post-baby belly, there’s no way I’m wearing those shirts now and risk my wrinkly, saggy belly being exposed to innocent people. I don’t even like looking at it.

Jun 5 11:22 am