battle of the baby bulge

Some of you may remember a few years ago when I had a weight-loss blog where I tracked my adventure of losing 23 pounds and a total of something like 17 inches off of various parts of my body. It took a good year to do it, but it worked. And I kept it off for quite a while, though I did gain back about 10 pounds or so before becoming pregnant (but honestly- looking back at some of those pictures where I was 115 lbs, I think I was TOO skinny!)

While I love my baby girl and wouldn’t trade her for the world, I am NOT loving the things pregnancy did to my body. The stretch marks don’t bother me too much, because I’ve never been a bikini girl and the only person who will be seeing them is Dan. But the soft flabby-ness of my midsection is less than desirable.

So I think it’s time for me to try doing this thing again.

I gained 40 pounds while I was pregnant, much to my surprise. The night I checked into the hospital in labor, I weighed 167 pounds. Within 2 weeks of having Maggie, I was down to 146- HURRAY! Today, almost 7 weeks after giving birth, I weigh 145. hm. I think some serious action is required to get things moving again. And since I’m about finished with breastfeeding (I’ve been trying to nurse Maggie at night after successfully switching her over to formula during the day, but my milk is now starting to dwindle in supply) I think it’s safe for me to diet now. Plus, the magic weight loss that supposedly comes with breastfeeding will be gone!

The last time I did this, I had quite a strict system of tracking. I weighed myself on Mondays and Wednesdays and took my measurements on Mondays. I entered the data in an Excel spreadsheet and created pretty graphs showing my progress (I LOVE GRAPHS.) I also tracked my daily food intake on FitDay to keep an eye on my calories- I didn’t restrict carbs or fats too much, mainly because I wasn’t too far off the charts for either of them. I stuck mainly to portion control and ate a cookie if I wanted one. I also tried hard to exercise, which has always been a hard thing for me to stick to. I did okay, going through phases where I would work out 3 days a week for 2 weeks or so… and then not do much for a few weeks. But I tried!

This morning, I opened up my old weight loss tracking spreadsheet, dated 2003-2004. I saved a new copy for 2007 and named it ‘Baby Weight Loss 2007′. This time, I don’t have a specific goal date in mind, though I would like to get in a bit better shape by the time my 10 year high school reunion rolls around (a month away!) My main goal is to just lose the extra weight I have, which is about 15 or 20 pounds. My other goal is to simply tighten up my body and get rid of the general overall softness of it. I’ve been walking a few times a week with Maggie, but I’d like to start doing some other things (if she gives me time!) like Pilates or even breaking out my old TaeBo tapes!
Rather than starting a whole separate blog for this, I’ll just be posting updates here if there’s anything exciting to report. Here are my Day 1 measurements and weight:

Weight: 145 pounds

Bust: 41.5 inches (thanks to my still-full boobs!)
Waist: 36 inches
Hips: 41 inches
Thigh: 24 inches
Arm: 11 inches

Wish me luck!

1. Good luck! :-)

May 14 1:01 pm

2. Sunshine

Good luck! I will say -because this was frustrating to me – that it takes a little while for the ‘tummy softness’ to tighten up. It eventually will – it just happens slowly.

May 14 1:49 pm

3. You can definitely do it. Hoping you have quick success!

May 14 1:52 pm

Sunshine: Does doing sit ups even help? I started doing some last week.. but honestly I can feel my muscles underneath the stretched out skin and they feel pretty tight again already so I’m not sure it’s even going to make a difference! It seems like it’s just the skin that needs to tighten up and go back to normal… and I don’t know any exercises for that! heh

May 14 2:05 pm

5. Sunshine

Yes, like you said, it helps to strengthen the muscles underneath which is a good thing. It’s just the extra skin & squishy-ness that takes a while to go back. Basically, you can get down to your pre-pregnancy weight an still not have the same ‘shape.’ Your body will eventually get back to (at least close to) the ‘old’ shape – it just does not happen quickly.

I hope that’s not depressing! It’s likely you’ll be the only one that notices the differences!!

May 14 3:29 pm

6. Good Luck Jen!

I am trying to quit smoking at the moment and get into better shape. Not really weight loss for me, but just toning…

For your abs, you know, sit ups don’t really work all that well… if you could manage some running or pilates exercises they help too… you have to have good core stability before sit ups and crunches really work. (According to my fitness guru other half, lol!) One thing you could try though is a Slendertone – do they have those in the States? It is like a lot of pads that you put on your tummy and they send electrical pulses to stimulate the muscles. I know it sounds a little weird but it does work!

I kind of prefer that, because you can hook it up when you are watching TV etc to help you along with the toning… Just a thought…

Good Luck, anyway :-)

May 14 3:38 pm

7. Jen, I feel ya on this. I gained 51 lb while pregnant although I exercised throughout the 9 months and I never got very big in size. I lost 30 lb of it in the first 6 weeks and another 10 by postpartum month 3, and right now (almost 10 months after giving birth) I am still at the plateau of 5 lb over my pre-pregnancy weight. My husband says I look like I did before I got pregnant, and I fit in all my old clothes just fine, but I can tell the difference in my tummy.

Sit ups, crunches, etc will keep your ab muscles toned underneath… but only time will help the skin retract. And honestly? We’re talking in terms of like, a year. Even now I’m still trying to lose the last inch or two off my lower waist where it’s stubbornly squishy in the front. I know I’ll never be *exactly* the way I was, and I’m ok with that. Compared to where I was even a few months ago, my body has pretty much returned to its old shape (it’s nice to have a real waist again). So there is hope!

I know it’s frustrating and it IS a slow process. But you are only 7 weeks postpartum and you already look GREAT, and you’ll be amazed at how your body will (gradually) shrink over the next few months. Besides, as you said, Maggie was totally worth it. :) Good luck!

May 14 3:40 pm

8. Hey there! I’m a random passerby, and imagine my surprise when I read that you were the owner of Muted.com! Brought back quite a bit of nostalgia — I loved your domain, and I got a kick out of your mentioning Route22.org in your textlog; that was a great domain, too.

Keep up the great work, and thanks for giving me a smile after a super long day! :)

May 14 8:37 pm

9. I totally feel you hon. When I was 20 I went from 195lbs to 135 in a year and 1 month I believe it was. I kept it off for a while but now I’m back up. I rejoined sparkpeople.com which I think is better than fitday. Check it out.

May 15 9:21 am

10. mel
    @overdramaticmel

Your measurements already sound promising. :) Good luck to you on this new weight journey! :D

May 15 9:18 am

11. Jenn
    @kissmykitty

While I respect your decision to switch to formula, I would like to point one benefit of continuing breastfeeding out to you: it burns calories like there’s no tomorrow, especially when a baby hits a growth spurt and your body goes into overdrive to keep up.

I tried to start off the new year dieting. I got sidetracked in February, but that aside: during the month of January, just with breastfeeding, using my bike for twenty minutes a day, three times a week, and counting calories (2000 a day), I lost twelve pounds. In a month. And I wasn’t doing anything drastic. I still ate what I wanted – just with a little more moderation. And I wasn’t exercising for crazy amounts of time or killing myself to work off as many calories as possible in the amount of time I did spend exercising.

That said, I wish you luck. I need to get back on the bandwagon with weight loss ASAP.

May 15 5:07 pm

12. Jenn
    @kissmykitty

“Producing milk uses 200 to 500 calories a day, on average. That may not sound like much, but it equals the calories burned running a couple miles a day or doing 30 laps in the pool.”
    From dummies.com.

May 15 5:08 pm

13. Mel
    @overdramaticmel

PS: I checked out the SparkPeople.com website and I am love love LOVING it. I totally am recommending this website, too!

May 15 5:56 pm

14. hey Jen – I’ll join you on your quest.. i’ve already lost all my pregnancy weight + 2 pounds! (woo) but i think it has a lot to do with the fact that i am still breastfeeding – and that i worked out during my pregnancy.. i worked out until about the 7th month when it was just way too uncomfortable – but i still walked whenever i could.

anyway – i need to lose my wedding weight – 3 years later, 30 pounds heavier! Curves gave me a goal to be down 12 pounds by June 15 – but we just lost my Opa and we haven’t been eating the best or even been at home… so I’m going to start tracking my stuff on my home version of fitday (i bought the software a year ago – it’s much better!)

go us!

May 16 8:17 am

15. Good Luck to you. I know since I’ve gone back to work, I’ve gained a few pounds back after having Braden. I can see my problem…My problem is that I eat lunch out too often. I ate better when I was at home.

May 16 12:36 pm