cervix watch 2007

Never before in my life did I think I’d say the words, “Gee, I hope I get some good news about my cervix today!” Nor did I ever thing I’d share the news so willingly and happily with perfect strangers on the internet.

Pregnancy does weird things to your self-respect inhibitions.

At my doctor’s appointment on Friday, I learned I was another half centimeter dilated- for a total of 2 1/2 cm! Still only 50% effaced, but the doctor was quite impressed with how low the baby’s head is. And it’s LOOOOOOOW, people. Last night driving home from my parents, every bump in the road made it feel like she was going to fall out- it was very strange. He also mentioned that some women labor for 6 hours to get where I am already- which I guess is great for me since I haven’t really even felt anything to this point! (but also makes me wonder what’s in store down the road- Labor Karma? heh)

Anyway, my doctor was very optimistic about things and actually said that he’d be surprised if I made it to April 8th. Which one on hand, I appreciate his vote of confidence. On the other hand, if I’m late I’m going to hold him responsible. And on the other hand (lots of hands, apparently) I’m ready for this to be over. But on the OTHER other hand, I have moments of panic when I think that dude- it really COULD be any day now. Maybe I’m okay with going past my due date? Last night when I was having trouble sleeping for no real reason in particular- just restlessness- and I felt a few crampy-type contractions (or so I thought) I started to wonder…. even watched the clock for a while (they were like 30 minutes apart, but i wasn’t sure at first since I was dozing in between them) And after moving out to the couch and finally falling asleep for a few hours, everything is back to normal this morning. But- maybe I dilated a bit more!

So that’s this week’s cervix update! I hope you enjoyed yourself. Tune in on Tuesday after my next appointment for more exciting adventures in dilation and effacement!

1. mel
    @overdramaticmel

That is way exciting! :) I can’t wait to find out the baby’s name. :)

Mar 25 1:28 pm

2. I have to tell you… you’re to the point where every time I see that your blog has updated in my feeds, I have a little shred of hope and excitement! Almost there!

Mar 25 2:00 pm

3. Priscilla

I check your site constantly and when you don’t update everyday, I start to wonder if you are in the hospital!
    I just can’t wait!

Mar 25 3:08 pm

Pris: hehe… I’m not making any guarantees, but I will most likely post something real quick before we head to the hospital- so you’ll know if I’m on my way (and you can say prayers for a pain-free delivery… HA!)

Mar 25 3:42 pm

5. I’m one of “internet’s perfect strangers” but I’m really excited for you! :-)

Mar 25 7:06 pm

6. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

Just wait until your girly bits are exposed for all the hospital to see and then you are totally uninhibited. You are just like, “yup, check it out, there’s a baby about to come out, whoo-hoo!”

I keep checking like everyone else, because I am betting you go soon. You have an appointment on Tuesday? Maybe next weekend!

Mar 25 7:36 pm

7. I was thinking the same thing as Laura: that every time I see your site is updated these days, I get all excited for you, thinking “I wonder if she’s on her way to the hospital?!”

I was 4cm when I went into labor, which sounded great, but didn’t speed anything up. I hope yours goes more smoothly and includes as little discomfort as humanly possible! I’m saying lots of prayers for you!! :)

Mar 25 7:51 pm

8. I’m with everyone else, I keep checking to see if you’ve gone into labor yet. Can you believe that you’re this far. It seems like just a few weeks ago you were announcing to the Internet world that you were expecting!
    I’ll be sending smooth labor vibes your way! Keep positive, that will help you through!

Mar 26 12:01 am

9. I can’t believe the baby is about to pop out. I still feel like you only just announced that you’re pregnant a few weeks ago!

Mar 26 6:30 am

10. Priscilla

Ha Corrie! When I had my son, and I was in the triage area getting checked out, I think I had like five different people check me just to see if the amniotic fluid was clear and to see how dilated I was…..yeah, no modesty allowed when you’re in labor and delivery.
    By then though, you really don’t care who’s looking as long as that baby comes out soon!

Mar 26 8:06 am

11. Pei

MAN the anticipation is killing me. and this ain’t even my baby!!!!!

Mar 26 8:12 am

12. Just checking in, and wow! I was only 2cm when my water had broken 5 hrs ago and they wheeled me in for my C-section. Go you! Also, you email conversation made me laugh. I hope you are enjoying these ‘peaceful’ times before bambina arrives. Best wishes!

Mar 27 8:57 am

13. Heather

yeah jen…u’re getting close!! i had my little girl on march 25..i was 2cm at the start and my total labour ended up being only 4 hours and 12 minutes!

Mar 27 1:06 pm

14. You’re almost there! So exciting!

Mar 29 3:15 am