the baby’s room is DONE!

FINALLY.

click to view

The room used to look like this. We slowly got rid of all of that junk with several trips to good will, and it turned into this. Then we did all of this:

• new carpet (this was actually done this summer, right before we found out about the Little Turd’s existence)
  • painted the crown molding (Mom did this for us!)
  • painted the bottom half of the wall; cut and painted chair rail
  • painted the walls (Mom did this for us!)
  • new baseboards, cut and painted
  • painted the two dressers; bought new handles and knobs (they used to look like this)
  • new closet doors, painted and installed
  • new closet shelving (Dan did this!)
  • stenciling (my sister was a HUGE help with this, she rocks!)
  • miscellaneous touches: replaced all plugs and lightswitches; new wallplates for switches and plugs; new baseboard heating vent; new lampshades (stenciled, of course!)

Whew! I’m tired just reading that list! It’s actually not much more than we’ve done in other rooms, but being pregnant certainly makes it tougher to get house projects done. I’m so used to being able to physically do whatever I want, it’s been a little frustrating when I couldn’t just power through and finish things in one day. But I had lots of help from Dan and my mom and my sister :) I’m just glad we got things finished before she arrives!

I still have some things to add to the room… curtains (can’t find anything I like) and wall decorations (can’t find anything I like that isn’t FREAKING EXPENSIVE) but for now, I’m considering it ‘Completed’.

1. mel
    @overdramaticmel

i just commented on your flickr page of your most recent belly pic. you look amazing (just a bump in the front, it looks like the only place you’ve gained weight)! i know, i know, you’re tired of being pregnant, so that probably doesn’t mean a thing. :)

Mar 19 7:47 pm

2. janet
    @loveisblonde

looks so cute! What about a few white shelves or shadow boxes or something for the wall. You don’t want to take away from those cute little flowers!

Mar 19 8:12 pm

3. Her new little room is just darling!

Mar 19 8:23 pm

4. Jenn
    @kissmykitty

The room is gorgeous! It is making me re-think my choice of a lilac for my daughter’s room. Too bad we only have four days until we move in, so changing things now is out of the question.

And I hear you on curtains! It took me six months to settle on Alyssa’s curtains, and even now I’m not sure if I like them.

Mar 19 9:31 pm

5. I love your baby’s room! Really nice colors and gorgeous match. The stenciling makes it even more beautiful. Also love your crib, especially when I found out that it can also be converted into a toddler and a full size beds! You look amazing in the latest belly pic. :-)

Mar 20 5:01 am

6. GIna

awww, it looks beautiful!!! you did an amazing job! :-)

Mar 20 10:03 am

7. Kristin

great job! the room looks amazing!

and you look great! don’t worry it will feel like a lifetime but before you know it, you won’t be pregnant anymore and she’ll be in your arms!!

Mar 20 12:10 pm

8. The room turned out great! I love the tulips and the wall colors.

What about her name above the crib? That would be a cute wall decoration. The craft stores have the wooden letters to paint and they are pretty inexpensive.

Mar 20 1:54 pm

9. The room turned out great! I love it!

Mar 20 3:40 pm

10. The room is absolutely beautiful, Jen… perfect for a little baby girl with a spring birthday… the only thing that will make it perfect is the baby herself! :)

I ended up finding/buying things for Oliver’s walls (animal pictures, letters to spell out his name, and most recently, a cute giraffe towel hook thingy) well after he was born. I figured I’d rather wait and find things I really like, rather than just rushing to have the room “done” before he arrived. It’s not like HE noticed the walls were bare when we brought him home… or if he did, he didn’t mind, and he decided to stay anyway. ;)

Mar 20 8:32 pm

11. Sunshine

Her room looks great! I really like the tulips — I think they add just the right amount of pink. I’m praying this last bit of your pregnancy goes smoothly (and quickly for you!!) & baby girl’s arrival is without complication.

Mar 21 12:52 pm