all about my cervix

Today was my 36 week doctors appointment, and my cervix got all checked out for the first time. The status?

2cm dilated. 50% effaced (or ‘thinned out’).

Baby’s head is ‘pretty low’, to quote the doctor (which explains the sudden and sometimes extreme difficulty in walking- again with the ‘head in the crotch‘ explanation)

Of course, those of you who are familiar with the end of pregnancy know that being dilated and effaced means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING as far as when you’ll go into labor. But still. It’s nice to know there’s something going on down there.

Only 8 more cm to go!

1. Heather

I wish I knew if I was dilated..but they don’t check for that here! I’m actually due today and there’s no sign of the baby..so who knows

Mar 15 5:34 pm

2. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

Dude.

You know, being 2 cm dilated is pretty good for your first kid. I think you should post everyday until that little baby decides to come out. Oh, and you should totally do a post that says, “Oh my god, my water just broke! I am going to the hospital!” Really, you should.

I feel you on the whole “head in the crotch” thing. I felt like that with all three kids and I whined the whole entire time. When I was pregnant with Jaden I would tell everyone at work how bad my vajayjay felt. You know, for sympathy. I feel your pain. I do.

My favorite was when I was in labor, and they would check me and Jon would be all, “That’s gotta be painful.”

I would just glare at him.

You are getting so close! I just totally hijacked your comments. My bad.

Mar 15 7:01 pm

3. I STILL wonder how they can reach in there, look up at the ceiling, make small talk, and somehow judge how many centimeters apart their fingers are. It seems like there’s got to be a more precise way to do it.

Here’s hoping you don’t have much longer to wait!

Mar 15 7:45 pm

4. Priscilla

I’m with Corrie. I was never dilated with either of my kids until I was 40 weeks!!
    You just might go early. You know that Tori Spelling was due around the same time you are, it’s her first baby and she already had him!!
    You could be next!

Mar 15 7:53 pm

5. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

Did Pris just compare you to Tori Spelling? Does that Make Dan – Brian Austin Green? I want to be Brenda.

I always wondered how they could be totally sure of the dialation. I mean they are just sicking random fingers in there and saying, “Oh two -maybe three centimeters.” How do I know they aren’t messing with me?

Mar 15 10:48 pm

6. Hope you have your baby real soon! I’m sure we’re all excited. Wishing you for a smooth ride on the dilation to 10cm. :-)

Mar 16 3:00 am

haha you guys crack me up :) Corrie, yes- you can be Brenda if you want!

I wondered the same thing yesterday- how they can REALLY tell about dilation and especially effacement. Seriously, his hand was only in there for like 2 seconds… ?? Either they just get really used to how things feel, or like you said- they’re just making it up, heh.

Mar 16 8:31 am

8. Priscilla

It’s gotta be a guess because when you’re in labor, even the nurses check you and say how far along you are.
    Maybe, one fingertip is one, two is two, etc. Who knows?!

Mar 16 8:41 am

9. Yay! That’s good. Even though it doesn’t mean the baby is coming SOON soon, it IS progress! :)

Keep us updated!!

Mar 16 10:00 am

10. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

Okay, so they only stick one hand in there, so what happens after 5?

Jen, Maybe you should ask the next time it happens! Just be all casual, and say, “So how do you guys now what 6 cm feels like, because people on the internets think you are messing with me.”

I call for tomorrow, I was due with Jaden March 24 and was dying for a St. Patricks Day Baby. GO March 17th!

Mar 16 1:19 pm

oh my gosh, NO! I’m all for going a little early… but 3 weeks early?!?! Plus I still have 2 customers who I have to launch sites for… and those won’t be done by next week at the earliest!!!! And we need the money so I HAVE to get these finished before I deliver, heh.

Not sure what happens after 5cm.. I’ll have to ask ;) heehee

Mar 16 1:25 pm

12. Priscilla

Any day is good but if you start going into labor on April Fools day, hold her in….that will just open up a can of jokes for her when she’s older ;)

Of course your due date is fine being that it’s Easter day and all.

Mar 16 5:44 pm

13. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

Oh snaps, is Easter that close already? I better get my butt in gear and buy the Easter Bunny stuff already.

Jen, you didn’t post today. I told you HAD to post. Oh and take the laptop to the hospital. It’s not like you are having a baby or anything.

I just remembered a funny story. I was pregnant with Jaden and it was St. Patricks Day and my parents and Jon and I went to the North Park Clubhouse for dinner and those three jerks started drinking and I was mad, so I faked feeling crampy to make them stop. I was all, “I could be in labor and y’all are drunk!” I am evil. And I didn’t have him until two weeks later. That’s Karma for you.

Mar 16 8:16 pm

14. I think she will make an early entrance! 2cm! I watch this birthing programme quite regularly on Living (it has put me off TOTALLY, heh) and a lot of the women on that are only 2cm when they go into labour! I think she should hold out for another couple of weeks though, maybe she should wait a bit longer and come on your birthday! THAT would be some present! :-)

Mar 17 5:24 pm

15. Priscilla

yeah, I wasn’t at 2cm until the night before I had my son. With my daughter, I don’t think I was starting to dilate until I started having contractions and was at the hospital!

Mar 17 6:56 pm