I haven’t had a bad pregnancy, really. I’ve heard such horror stories from other women and read stories of 9-month-long bouts of nausea, extreme weight gain, various complications, etc. I was a little sick at first, but it didn’t last much past 13 weeks or so. I’ve had the usual things- heartburn and sleeping and things like that. But I’ve had clear skin for the first time since hitting puberty and my leg hair has grown much slower so I don’t have to shave as often (a weird side effect of pregnancy, I think) So that’s something!
My only major complaint has been my hip pain which has improved a lot in the past few weeks. I did pull a groin muscle from the goofy way I have to walk (or waddle) now and THAT was painful- it took most of February for it to heal (and even now I have to be careful or I’ll pull it a bit all over again and be sore for a day or so) But honestly, I really can’t complain. Plus- I’ve been able to stay home and work on my couch every day, instead of dragging myself to work in the morning. BLESSING.
I dare say I’ve ENJOYED some of the aspects of being pregnant. I love feeling my baby kick and move and squirm, even if it does sometimes freak me out how lop-sided my stomach can get! She likes to push out on the right side with what we think is her back/butt, and it totally looks like an alien is trying to escape. And I’ve enjoyed most of the maternity clothes (Hello, Elastic Waistbands! Where have you been all my life?!?!) Overall I’ve felt pretty normal, at least until recently when I finally surpassed that point of feeling ‘cute’ and entered the realm of feeling ‘huge’. I’m not even worried about the network of stretch marks that has appeared on the bottom part of my belly. I have a 4 inch scar (which has of course now been stretched WAY past 4 inches!) on my left side from a surgery I had as a kid, so I never wear belly-baring stuff anyway. No one except Dan will ever really see those stretch marks, and he doesn’t mind (hey, he’s part of why they’re there!!!)
That being said, there are still a number of things I am really looking forward to and planning on doing after these next 5 or 6 weeks pass and this whole pregnancy thing is over.
- looking down and seeing my feet
- SLEEPING ON MY BACK (even if it is just short naps in between feedings!)
- getting a hair cut and maybe even highlights- just to treat myself!
- no more heartburn. please.
- being able to see… ‘down there’… when I shave my legs.
- wearing any shoes I want, without having to worry about comfort for my aching hips
- walking without that ‘waddle’
- bending over to tie my shoes straight-on, rather than to the inside like an old man
- eventually, maybe slowly, getting reacquainted with my non-pregnancy clothes (and maybe a nice shopping-spree for the summer?)
Really though, the thing I’m most looking forward to? Seeing our little girl.