35 weeks

I haven’t had a bad pregnancy, really. I’ve heard such horror stories from other women and read stories of 9-month-long bouts of nausea, extreme weight gain, various complications, etc. I was a little sick at first, but it didn’t last much past 13 weeks or so. I’ve had the usual things- heartburn and sleeping and things like that. But I’ve had clear skin for the first time since hitting puberty and my leg hair has grown much slower so I don’t have to shave as often (a weird side effect of pregnancy, I think) So that’s something!

My only major complaint has been my hip pain which has improved a lot in the past few weeks. I did pull a groin muscle from the goofy way I have to walk (or waddle) now and THAT was painful- it took most of February for it to heal (and even now I have to be careful or I’ll pull it a bit all over again and be sore for a day or so) But honestly, I really can’t complain. Plus- I’ve been able to stay home and work on my couch every day, instead of dragging myself to work in the morning. BLESSING.

I dare say I’ve ENJOYED some of the aspects of being pregnant. I love feeling my baby kick and move and squirm, even if it does sometimes freak me out how lop-sided my stomach can get! She likes to push out on the right side with what we think is her back/butt, and it totally looks like an alien is trying to escape. And I’ve enjoyed most of the maternity clothes (Hello, Elastic Waistbands! Where have you been all my life?!?!) Overall I’ve felt pretty normal, at least until recently when I finally surpassed that point of feeling ‘cute’ and entered the realm of feeling ‘huge’. I’m not even worried about the network of stretch marks that has appeared on the bottom part of my belly. I have a 4 inch scar (which has of course now been stretched WAY past 4 inches!) on my left side from a surgery I had as a kid, so I never wear belly-baring stuff anyway. No one except Dan will ever really see those stretch marks, and he doesn’t mind (hey, he’s part of why they’re there!!!)

That being said, there are still a number of things I am really looking forward to and planning on doing after these next 5 or 6 weeks pass and this whole pregnancy thing is over.

• looking down and seeing my feet
  • SLEEPING ON MY BACK (even if it is just short naps in between feedings!)
  • getting a hair cut and maybe even highlights- just to treat myself!
  • no more heartburn. please.
  • being able to see… ‘down there’… when I shave my legs.
  • wearing any shoes I want, without having to worry about comfort for my aching hips
  • walking without that ‘waddle’
  • bending over to tie my shoes straight-on, rather than to the inside like an old man
  • eventually, maybe slowly, getting reacquainted with my non-pregnancy clothes (and maybe a nice shopping-spree for the summer?)

Really though, the thing I’m most looking forward to? Seeing our little girl.

baby belly - 35 weeks

1. wow! you’re huge!! you look so adorable!! pregnancy looks really good on you.

we’re all looking forward to seeing your little girl too!

i was also looking forward to sleeping on my back too – i couldn’t do it for at least a week or two after i had Heidi – it just felt so uncomfortable having the bloated belly weight pressing down on my siatic nerve (sp). i hope you get the relief and rest you deserve as soon as possible :) 5 weeks left! EEEE!!!

Mar 7 7:53 pm

Even if I can just sleep on my side again, that would be nice too! My hips have been too sore so I’ve had to sleep propped up in a reclining position for about 3 months. I can’t wait to not have to do that anymore!!!!

Mar 7 9:16 pm

3. I’m so excited for you guys and I can’t wait to see photos of the teeny one (and find out the NAME!!! do you realize you and Pris are killing me and Corrie? hehe). I hope that your labor/delivery are as smooth as your pregnancy. Only a few weeks to go! I second Steph in the “EEEE!!!” :)

Mar 7 10:23 pm

4. Priscilla

I saw you in person and you really do look great.

I second the hopes for a smooth labor and delivery. I can’t wait to hear the name as well.

Mar 8 9:04 am

5. Pei

awwww you’re SO huge but you’re gorgeous!!!!! AND you’ve stayed skinny everywhere else, which is always a major bonus…i can’t wait to see the little munchkin !!

Mar 8 10:15 am

6. You look beautiful! And it’s always nice to think about the good things about pregnancy. They always outweigh the bad. When you hold the little girl in your arms those stretch marks will seem like battle scars.

I can’t wait to hear the news of baby girl’s arrival and HER NAME! :)

Mar 8 10:58 am

7. Hi, I found ur site from Jenn.Nu and I wanted it to check it out!

It looks like your all ready to pop soon! Your layout is so beautiful!

Mar 8 8:26 pm

8. Heather

You look great Jen! Not long to go now, so excited for you!

Heck I’m due a week from today..wild!!!

Mar 8 8:36 pm

9. Aw, I hope she makes an appearance soon :D You look really great. I hope the labour and birth go well as well.

Mar 9 1:17 pm

10. Wow, pregnancy looks great on you! Can’t wait to meet the little one and read about the birth story and all. :-)

Mar 9 11:51 pm

11. Claire

You know you are so lucky to only have just got stretch marks now! My cousin is due on April 14 – but I only saw her for the first time during her pregnancy last weekend. Her bump is so tiny, but she has put a lot of weight on all over AND she told me she has stretch marks everywhere! I think of the way everyone carries their babies differently, and I would say huge bump and little weight gain elsewhere is way better than little bump and gain everywhere else!

You are looking so radiant still, a lot of women I know have started looking awful in the last few weeks before birth. I just hope, like everyone else has said, that you have a good labour and birth – and that it doesn’t last too long!! Can’t wait to hear the name :-)

Mar 10 7:56 am

12. Kristin

You look amazing! Congrats on hitting this 35 weeks milestone. The next couple of weeks are going to be seriously uncomfortable (don’t kid yourself) but it will be over soon enough!

My only piece of advice for you is: if you want to get that haircut, etc. get it done EARLY!! By 3-3.5 months you will start shedding all that wonderful hair (sad effect of the pg hormones leaving your body) and you will have limp, ugly, very thinned out stuff on your head until it grows back. Trust me. Get the hair cut at the 6 week after delivery mark so at least you can enjoy it before you have handfuls (yes, you read that right) coming out in the shower, when you blowdry, brush your hair, touch it…

Mar 10 11:52 am

13. mel
    @overdramaticmel

You look awesome! Almost there! :D

Mar 10 3:29 pm

14. ali

i definately agree that the kicking is one of the best things about pregnancy…yeah im 17 but everytime i feel her kick or squirm i smile.

Apr 11 12:37 pm