busy weekend

So we had quite the busy weekend… so much so that yesterday I was TIRED. It seems like it always catches up with me the next day, like last weekend after the baby shower, on Monday I felt like I was hungover.

We weren’t even really busy with social events- just things around the house, crossing things off of our ‘Before Baby Comes’ list. Friday night I started with the stenciling in the baby’s room, but I didn’t get very far before it was time for bed (I practiced for a while on poster board before actually trying for real on the wall!) I’m hoping to finish it up this week and FINALLY take some pictures! Dan helped me with cleaning the house on Saturday (love my man!) and then we went to my mom’s aunt’s house for dinner and my uncle’s 40th birthday part that night. Yesterday was church and of course another list of tasks… but I didn’t get most of them accomplished because Saturday pooped me out. My energy is really taking a nosedive lately… the baby is using it all up! I did get some bills paid, the desk cleaned off, our tax returns organized (yes, still having sticker shock) but didn’t get a chance to actually clean the office or do any more stenciling. But, resting is more important now right? :)

It’s still bizarre to me that in just a few short weeks, I won’t be pregnant anymore. I’ve grown so used to feeling the kicks and squirms and I’m even (mostly) used to my big belly. Not having those things will be strange… but I imagine I’ll be distracted enough by the baby living on the OUTSIDE that I won’t notice it as much as I think, hehe :) My mom and several other people seem to think that I won’t make it another 5 weeks to my due date.. I wish they’d stop saying that because it’s only going to make me think they’re right and when I’m a week late I’ll be very annoyed! haha

I have my first internal exam tomorrow, so maybe we’ll find out that things are starting to move forward… I can’t tell if she’s dropped at all yet, it is a bit easier to breathe at times, but that might just be my imagination or the fact that I’m getting used to breathing with feet in my ribs.

1. Sunshine

hee! You’re so close!! I will say that everyone (including my doctor) thought I would go early…and I did, but only by 2 days, which really isn’t early when you’re 400 months pregnant.

Oh, and I could “tell” that the baby had dropped because I could put my hand palm down, horizontally at the top of my belly & have room for my hand to be flat against by body. Does that make sense?

Mar 5 9:15 am

2. Is it too early to start making guesses yet??? :) I’m putting my bet on April 10, only because most first babies are a little past their estimated due dates. But you never know… Either way it’s very very soon! YAY!!! :)

It can be hard when people get your hopes up and it doesn’t happen. My doctor made me cut back on activities because I had Braxton-Hicks contractions starting around 5 months, and by the time I was 36 weeks, I was already 1 cm dilated and 80% effaced. I was so excited! Yet Oliver came 11 days late anyway. Ugh. I cried when my due date passed. I know it’s not good to go too early, because the baby needs that time inside, but it felt like FOREVER. My mom said all four of her babies were 6-7 days past the doctor’s due date so it looks like I’m doomed. Next time I’m seriously just going to tell everyone that my due date is the day of 41 weeks instead of 40!

I don’t know how the “dropping” thing goes because I didn’t notice it with Oliver. My belly never got very big to begin with, so I didn’t have the “breathing easier” to go by, and no one ever told me I looked like the baby dropped. But if you feel like you’re breathing easier that’s a good sign! Your still-skinny self is ALL baby, from the photos I’ve seen, so I’m sure you can feel a difference in the amount of lung capacity! haha

Also, the first thing I did when we got home from the hospital was take a 3-hour nap. The second thing I did? Dive stomach-first onto the bed. I do not miss the belly at all! The baby is much more fun on the outside. :)

Mar 5 10:32 am

3. Priscilla

I remember after having Jada, laying in the hospital bed rubbing my belly and realizing that there would be no more kicking and moving in there. I was actually sad to have that realization. Unknown to me at that time that in ten months I’d be giving birth again!!

Your mom did tell me that she didn’t think you were going to make it another five weeks. I will have to look at the pictures again to see if it looks like you dropped!

Mar 5 12:37 pm

4. I only had two internal exams and at the first one I was dilated to a 1 and the second exam I was *almost* a two…I walked my entire pregnancy and I really think that helped for dilation and labor. When I went to the hospital I was already a 3…

I completely understand you when you say you cannot breathe! Everyone told me I looked like I had dropped, but I hadn’t…or that’s what the doctor had told me on that Monday…Friday my water broke and I was ready to have that baby! Once that baby was out, I was able to breathe and the heartburn completely went away.

Mar 5 1:03 pm

Sunshine: hm yeah that makes sense… I don’t think she’s dropped yet because I definitely can’t do that! haha And I noticed she’s still kicking pretty high under my ribs in the usual spots so she’s still pretty high up there. I think I just feel all this pressure down low because she’s getting so darn big!! The stretch marks have reared their ugly heads this week.. I thought I was going to get away with just a few, but I have a whole network of them on the underside of my belly now :P

Melissa: oh sleeping on my stomach! or even my side!! I’ve been sleeping propped up with pillows in a reclining position since before Christmas. I try to lay on my side but my heartburn is too bad at night, and I also have had such bad hip pain and being on my sides hurts no matter how many pillows I use. Fun! And yeah my dr told me that 60% of babies are born AFTER their due date- she said she actually hates giving a due date because she knows chances are it’s just going to frustrate the poor mom ;) I’m pretty sure I won’t go early, at least not weeks early… maybe just a few days would be nice!

Julie: I’m hoping the weather will be warm soon so I can start walking! Even if I only go a few driveways up the street, if it will help get things moving, that would be great :) heehee

Mar 5 6:29 pm

6. janet
    @loveisblonde

only 5 weeks! where did the time go? ha I’m sure you have been asking yourself the same thing…

Mar 5 8:10 pm

7. Crissy
    @Crissy

I can’t wait until you have the baby! It’s crazy to be anxious for a complete stranger. :)

Mar 6 2:06 pm

8. I’m excited for you and your family! Can’t wait to see your little angel very soon!! I agree with Crissy, it’s crazy to be anxious for a complete stranger. :-) Even more so for someone like me ‘cuz I read your blog all the time yet don’t leave comments. :)

Mar 6 8:43 pm