the transformation

Sunday was my baby shower, and it’s taken me until today to recover! Amazing how tiring opening gifts and eating yummy snacks and appetizers can be :) It was a great party, my sister and mom did an awesome job and everything was fantastic (after the morning drama with the ice storm / church closure / should we cancel the shower? moments) We got SO. MUCH. STUFF! Our house is nearly transformed into a ‘baby house’. When we got home Sunday night and unpacked the car and filled our dining room with our new fun stuff, Dan got all excited and on a whim decided to put together the swing. So that’s our latest fixture in the living room.

We got the crib put together on Saturday, and yesterday I spent a few hours trying to get organized, removing tags from her new clothes and getting them ready to wash. All I can say is, I really hope she doesn’t come out a boy instead! heehee

I still have some things to finish up in the room before I’ll be taking pictures. First, we have to unpack some more things and figure out where to put everything, and then I have to stencil the border and do some little finishing touches… but stay tuned!

Thankfully I had all of this baby stuff yesterday to distract me from the phone call that had me in tears. It was our accountant, tell me that I owe $4800 in Federal taxes this year. Yes, I said $4800. That’s in addition to the $4000 I paid as an estimate for my business as the year progressed. Apparently, my estimations need some adjusting. Excuse me while I go and hyperventilate. And mourn the depletion of our savings just weeks before we have a baby and I stop working for a few months. Oh The Timing!

But it doesn’t matter. WE’RE HAVING A BABY!

1. Sunshine

That sucks.

But, the baby stuff is great! Just focus on that!!

Feb 27 12:14 pm

2. Oh my, I know the feeling. We paid $12k last year. You’ll be fine though!

Love all the pink stuff. I need a little girl!

Feb 27 12:21 pm

argh, taxes frustrate me. I just get so mad that government gets 1/3 of what I work hard for. And most of that goes to Social Security… which people our age will likely NEVER SEE AGAIN! grrr… but, at least for next year I’ll know to pay more as I go rather than get hit big time at the end of the year. This was the first full year of me working like this so I really wasn’t sure where to start for my estimations… live and learn!!

Feb 27 12:55 pm

4. mel
    @overdramaticmel

holy cow! the government sucks! but look at all the free baby stuff! :)

Feb 27 1:21 pm

5. Priscilla

I can’t wait to see the baby’s room when you are done. I’m glad you were able to still have your shower. I was wondering about that on Sunday.

Feb 27 1:28 pm

6. That IS crappy to owe that much. :( But it sounds like the baby shower was really lovely and you guys got a lot of great stuff! Now it’s time for finishing touches, and soon you will be going to bed with your last thoughts before sleep being “any day now” … yay!!! :)

Feb 27 1:44 pm

7. Claire

At least you got a load of free baby stuff so you don’t have to fork out for that!

I hate the tax man too… my partner is employed but he gets a lot of “taxable benefits”. He got a letter from the Inland Revenue to say he hadn’t filled in a return for five years but he’d never even had them or knew he should do one! (Not everyone in the UK has to fill them in, unless you earn a large amount or are self employed) We got a bill for £5,000 ($9,500) and were told he had a month to stump up the cash! Horrible. I know how you feel, I hate giving away hard earned cash to the Gov’t. They just spend it on crap.

Just focus on your lovely little girl, money isn’t everything… she is far more important!

Feb 27 1:50 pm

8. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

Heh. I worked full-time when I was pregnant with Jaden and I had to call off the day after my shower. I was sooo sore from all the lifting and un-wrapping. The fact that there was leftover cake didn’t hurt either.

All the pink! I remember a week after Aivlene was home and I was doing her laundry and Jon commented on all the pink. I was all, “Hello? See that little girl?!”

It’s getting so close. I’m so excited for you!

Feb 27 2:22 pm

9. Congrats on the baby shower! OUCH for the $4800.. that’s so rough.. it would put in me in tears too. I hope you and Dan can manage. Can you do payment plans to repay owed taxes in the US? Hopefully….

Feb 28 12:19 pm

10. Congratulations on the baby!

Feb 28 2:07 pm

Steph- yeah… the tax thing SUCKS. As far as I know, there’s no repayment plan.. but really I’ve never had to worry about owing anything like this so there could be, heh. We have some money in savings but we really didn’t want to have to touch it… looks like that’s not an option now though! :(

Feb 28 3:38 pm

12. C

The IRS does have a payment plan – thank GOD, or I’d be shit out of luck. I owe every year too, it’s starting to get old. Make sure that you adjust it and don’t owe next year or penalty. I speak from firsthand experience ;)

Mar 6 6:22 pm