baby names

No, we didn’t pick one yet. And no, we’re not going to share our final choice with anyone until after the little darling is born (sorry, Corrie!) But, Janet posted a comment yesterday mentioning having a baby naming contest on my blog. I’m not sure how a contest would work since we’re being all secretive about it, but I will say that we’re still open to suggestions for names… so at Janet’s suggestion, I thought, why not just let you guys share your favorite girl names? You never know, we might end up loving one of them! (or, we might already be thinking of one you suggest, in which case, great minds think alike!)

A few things to keep in mind: Our last name begins with ‘L’ so we’ve had to be careful about first names with too many L’s or ending in an ‘L’. Also… the end of our last name rhymes with ‘Biker’, so a lot of names end up sounding like a sentence.

Hence why we’re having so much trouble with this naming task!

So leave a comment with your name suggestions. You can post one or 5 or whatever. Woohoo!

1. janet
    @loveisblonde

Yay! My favorite game!!!!!!!! wow I am a nerd. I have to admit I love names with “elle” somwhere in them so I will try to leave those off due to your requirements. Okay here goes:

1. Claire
    2. Alexa
    3. Maya
    4. Annelise (Annie for short)
    5. Julia

Those are just a few of my faves. Can’t wait to see what others come up with.

Feb 2 1:02 pm

2. Judi

I’ve always loved Savannah and Sierra. Also, Samantha, but Sam for short. And I’ve always been mad at my mother for not naming me after her, Suzy (although every relative in New York has Suzanne somewhere in their name). Seems I have a thing for “S,” eh?

Feb 2 1:18 pm

3. Alyson

Well, my SILs are naming their little girls Concetta Ann and Sophia Grace. I like:

1) Jacqueline Danielle (to honor both of her parents’ names)
    2) Alexandra
    3) Addison
    4) Quinn
    5) Grace
    6) Jordyn

I LOVE thinking of names! Good luck!

Feb 2 1:26 pm

4. Gina

My mom works at a school and there’s this girl there with the name, Audrianna, I thought it was a really pretty name and then I heard she goes by the nickname Dee Dee, hehe :-)
    I also like:
    Adrienne and Kayla

I can’t wait to here what name you chose! only 10 more weeks, right?

Feb 2 1:47 pm

5. Claire

Oooh… Janet, I like you, you like my name! Good choice :-)

My Other Half and I have decided that if we ever have a daughter she will be called Erin Rose.

My other top names though are:

1. Grace
    2. Olivia
    3. Sophia
    4. Zara (it means Little Princess)
    5. Heather
    6. Abigail (father’s joy) – Abbie for short
    7. Victoria
    8. Ruby

All quite old fashioned, but whatever, did you know there is a guy who changed his name so it is James (then all the Bond films as middle names) Bond…!!!!! I was reading in the newspaper that there are children born in England in 2006 called Nike, Adidas and Reebok. There is a child in my Rainbows group (5-7 Girl Guides – don’t know what US equivalent is) called Shania… now, it is a very nice name, but y’know…

Feb 2 1:51 pm

6. Priscilla

I don’t have anything to contribute but it was nice seeing some suggestions since we are searching for names as well. I actually saw some that we have mentioned ourselves. It’s a tough thing to name someone!

At least you don’t have to come up with two names. We won’t know what we’re having so we have to think up two names!

Feb 2 2:42 pm

7. mel
    @overdramaticmel

I have been thinking about baby names for most of my adult life. Just getting prepared, that’s all… :) Many of the ones I like are probably too old fashioned, but here are my faves…

1. Elise
    2. Emma
    3. Grace
    4. Karen
    5. Denise
    6. Monica
    7. Catherine
    8. Margaret (this is a family name…)
    9. Clara
    10. Elizabeth

Feb 2 3:08 pm

8. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

Okay, so from what you have told me, I am thinking

Emma
    Claire
    Sarah
    Olivia
    Grace

May I suggest Addison? I love the name and since I am not pushing out any more babies…

Feb 2 3:16 pm

9. Dang, people have lots of ideas. Personally I always like hearing what other people choose, but I have yet to find more than one or two that I would ever consider naming my own child. It will definitely be a task for me if I ever have kids!

Feb 2 4:57 pm

10. hoya_saxa08

I’m terrible at listing baby names. But I do know your last name and, out of the ones suggested, I think Addison and Abigail work quite nicely. :) I also like Aimee, Mackenzie, Hannah, Katie, and Paige.

Feb 2 6:54 pm

11. Addison has been mentioned quite a few times, and while I’ve almost always heard it as a boys’ name, I still really like it! I also like Abbi, Kelsie . . . hm, I used to write loads of stories and stuff and I’m terrible with names – all my female characters were named “Emily” or after a friend, or else totally random combinations of letters (Althinia, Tantzya – made up on the spot, but you get the picture . . .). Oh well, if I ever have a daughter to name, there’ll be another “half” to help do the picking, I guess!

Feb 2 7:58 pm

12. Isabella
    Charlotte
    Ivy

Feb 2 8:20 pm

13. Personally, I love the name Cheyenne. :)

Feb 2 11:49 pm

14. Personally, I love the name Jaemie. Haha.

In all seriousness though, I agree with waiting to name a child until the child is born. My friend is due this month and already has her daughter’s name picked out: Kennedy. What happens if she’s born and doesn’t look like her name should be Kennedy? My parents were ready to name me Miranda – I’m definitely NOT a Miranda.

Have fun with choosing names. I’m sure whatever you choose will be great.

Feb 3 2:37 am

15. Everyone seems to pick similar names. This morning I heard someone call a little girl Audrey. I think it’s cute and would go with your last name if you ask me.

Audrey
    Melinda (say it with your last name – it flows!)
    Heather (just for fun hehe)
    Victoria
    Kimberly

Okay those are just the ones I thought might go good with your last name. Its so tough – I hope you and Dan can find something that you both agree on. I’ve been thinking of our “next” baby’s name for the last few weeks – since I “got over” the whole birthing experience. lol – I don’t know when we’ll have our second but I’m thinking I could probably handle it sooner rather than later. Weird huh? Good luck!

Feb 3 3:07 am

16. Caroline

After reading “Grace” for the 4th time or so… come on people, do you really think she’s going to name her baby girl like her cat? ;)

Feb 3 9:31 am

17. I love Addison–it’s one of our top three choices for next time, if we have a girl. Apparently it’s pretty popular, so we may not use it for that reason.

Taking into account what you said, I also like Andrea (Andie for short), Megan, Amanda, and Sarah. I like Kate too but if I remember right, that’s your sister-in-law’s name! My husband likes Sydney for a girl name, which is cute, but we can’t use it because it’s too rhymey with the last two syllables of our last name.

I think next time we might try to keep our choice under wraps too until after the baby is born. Which won’t be for a couple years. Have fun!! :)

Feb 3 1:23 pm

18. Priscilla

I agree with everyone else, there are a lot of multiples of names on these lists. I didn’t even pick up on the Grace thing…duh!!
    I like the name Addison, I was actually thinking of that name this morning. I don’t think my hubs would go for it though.

Feb 3 4:38 pm

19. mel
    @overdramaticmel

I didn’t pick up on the Grace thing either. Whoops! :)

Feb 3 11:46 pm

20. My favorites are:

Lara (but since your last name starts with L….)
    Erin
    Morgan
    Renee
    Heidi

Feb 4 4:55 am

21. Jenn
    @kissmykitty

We didn’t settle on a name until about a day or two before I had our son. Until then we called him gummi bear. :P

Girl names I’ve always loved:
    Grace
    Anne
    Anastasia
    Elizabeth
    Juliet

Feb 4 7:05 pm

22. The daughter that exists in my head but nowhere else is named Claire. And if she ever comes into actual being, she will probably keep the name.

Claire has already been mentioned a few times here; I didn’t realize it was so popular. But, no matter, I love it anyway!

I also like Emma (very popular right now, but I like it b/c it’s my great-grandmother’s name), Grace, Eleanor and Katherine.

Feb 4 9:17 pm

23. Here are some suggestions:

Stephanie
    Kezia (it means cinnamon-like)
    Emma-Kathryn
    Brooke
    Jennifer

Feb 5 12:05 pm

24. I forgot that your name is Jennifer, so instead of Jennifer how about Haley?

Feb 5 12:07 pm

25. If I have another child and it is indeed a girl, she’ll be called Averie. I *love* it.

Other names:
    Darci *grin*
    Dylan
    Meredith
    Ella Jane

Feb 5 1:36 pm

26. Kristin

A slightly random lurker joining in here…

I had my first child, a girl, in October and we named her Natalie. But we went into delivery still undecided between Julia and Natalie.

So I’m going to toss out Julia… of course Natalie is a really pretty name too… *wink*

Feb 5 10:15 pm

27. Fun! About a year and a half ago I had a son, and while boys are the most fun in their own right, naming girls, in my opinion, is WAY more fun :)

If we were to have had a girl, these were the names we had thought of:

Anna(belle)
    Emma
    Emily
    Kathryn (Katie)
    Natalie
    Olivia

Mostly I like very traditional :) Call us uncreative, but I like things done the old-fashion way ;) Can’t wait to find out what you’ve chosen!!!

Feb 6 1:28 am

28. Pei

Wow obviously everybody loves “Grey’s Anatomy”…and the name Addison!

Besides Addison (which is a name I really like), I also thought of:

Alexis
    Karyn
    Marissa
    Janelle (but your last name starts with ‘L’ so it might be tough)
    Jade (maybe it’s the Chinese girl in me, I think this is so pretty and feminine!)

Feb 6 10:09 am

29. Chelsea

Names that I can suggest, since they won’t work for me because of a variety of reasons:

Kate (my best friend’s name, and her sister already took it)
    Joyce (assuming I do stay with my boyfriend, he HATED a Joyce)
    Megan (his siter’s and my best friend’s name)
    Erin (his ex-girlfriend’s- no thank you!!)

The names that I love and hope to use as my own daughter’s name one day:
    Evan (it’s a family name, but I LOVE it for a girl)
    Siobhan
    Amelia
    Hannah

Feb 6 3:42 pm

30. Sunshine

We kept Isaac’s name a secret – and this one’s name will be a secret too. For me, I guess I’m just afraid someone will make a flippant ‘oh, well, I guess that’s an okay name’ comment and I’ll be crushed. (Or, more likely, I’ll have to crush them!! ha ha).

Anyway, since we’re in the midst of picking names ourselves, I have nothing to add….we should be finding out gender soon, though!! I’m excited for that and it should help narrow our decisions down.

Feb 6 3:56 pm

Sunshine- That’s pretty much the main reason why we’ll be keeping it a secret too :) People are just way too open with their opinions about these things, and I worry that someone will have something mean to say about our name! I think it’s a lot harder to say those things once it’s tied to an actual baby, hehe

Feb 6 4:00 pm

32. claire

Elspeth
    Jayden
    Sinead
    Mia
    Frances
    Ada
    Angellana (angel for short)

P.s I am called Claire, I work with 2 other Claires,we sit on a table of five people, I know at least another five Claires, we’re all called Claire Louise. See a pattern emerging? please please stay well clear it will not be an appreciated name in the long term!

Good Luck!

Mar 10 2:59 pm

33. Katie

I love picking out names! Here are some of my favorites… oldies but goodies :).

Emily