in which I GET FIRED.

Yup.

FIRED.

Can you get fired if you already quit? Apparently you can.

And, I got fired with a PHONE CALL.

I took today off because we got new carpet installed today. I scheduled the day off last week before I gave my notice. So here I was, getting ready to start moving furniture and junk back into the newly carpeted rooms (which look FANTASTIC, by the way) and I get the call.

Apparently, they are concerned about my website and feel that SUDDENLY AFTER 12 MONTHS OF THEM KNOWING I DO FREELANCE WORK ON THE SIDE, I am in violation of the non-compete agreement I signed when I started working there. Nevermind the fact that I am not the only one who does freelance work on the side in our department, nevermind the fact that nothing at all has changed and I am still doing the same thing that they knew about when I took the job last year. But suddenly, when I show signs of trying to make a real go of it, of HAVING GOALS AND A BRAIN, they get scared.

(This is not unlike something they did to my friend 2 months ago, who asked if there was any way she could go part-time to stay home with her kids because day care costs were making working full time almost stupid, and all she did was ASK. They said yes, and acted like it was the best idea EVER! 2 weeks later they changed their minds and fired her. Awesome.)

Yesterday at work, I was told that I needed to remove the Google ads I have in place because they were directly competing with their terms on the site. So, I inactivated them, because I saw their point. No big deal, really. I should have known something was up.

They are paying me out until next Friday, which was supposed to be my last day. I asked if I could come back in and get my stuff, and they said ‘That could be arranged.’ YEAH THANKS. I think they’re just doing that so I don’t make a big fuss.

The thing is, I’m not even mad that I don’t have a job now. I am mad because I was feeling a little guilty and bad about leaving. They were all so NICE on Monday when I told them I was leaving. They all said things like ‘Good luck!’ and ‘Oh how exciting for you!’

I am mad because I was planning on getting everything for all of my projects organized and ready for other coworkers to take over, and I really wanted to leave on a good note, because I don’t want to be seen as a bad employee. I am NOT a bad employee. I have worked so hard for them, and they have all told me that they like what I do and that I am a great worker. But I guess that’s not good enough!

My boss also reminded me oh-so-nicely on the phone that everything created or done on company time is property of the company. NO KIDDING. Is this REALLY how they think I am? Do they really think I am the kind of person who would try and steal stuff from them? IS THIS WHAT BEING A GOOD EMPLOYEE GETS YOU? Because I’m not seeing the benefit here.

I am just mad. So mad. I could hardly even tell Dan on the phone through my choking and tears (I cry when I’m mad, which I absolutely hate)

Tomorrow I have to go back in there to get my things. Pictures, my sweater, my granola bars, my little stuffed kitty and SpongeBob figurine that I got from my last job from PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY RESPECTED ME. I’m not sure yet if I’ll ask to speak with my boss. Part of me knows it’s not going to change anything. But I just really feel cheated that they chose to be such wimps and call me at home and fire me over the phone. I don’t even get the respect of a face-to-face firing? NICE.

Looks like that week of relaxation (ha!) and vacation before starting honest work on my business is coming early.

1. jadensmommy24
    @iheartsnark

okay, so that whole firing sucks balls. Really. What asshats. However, you did brighten my day with all the cursing. Thank you.

Want me to go beat them up? Are you going to re-activate the Google Ads?

Jul 26 6:36 pm

heh… :) Yeah I reactivated the Google ads shortly after I got the call. And yeah it sucks balls.. not really that I’m not going back to work, because next Friday I’d be done anyway, but just how they did it. It’s just another in a long line of examples of stupid crap they’ve done to employees!

And I’m glad you enjoyed the cursing ;) hehe I was REALLY fired up when I wrote that.. I’ve calmed down a bit now. Still a little bit mad, but what’s that gonna do, right? Dan’s solution is that we just put them out of business! haha (he’s got high hopes for Inksplash, apparently!)

Jul 26 7:28 pm

3. Sorry that that happened to you. That stinks on their part! But now you’re out of there sooner at least! Couldn’t you technically collect unemployment from them now? Not that it’s any of my business anyway! If you can, I would put that away for a rainy day!

Jul 27 11:36 am

4. blueeyezz
    @overdramaticmel

Wow….It’s interesting too that since they are ‘firing’ you because of that agreement that they are still planning on paying you through next week. Most companies do that to avoid paying you.

That almost happened to me at a company I left awhile back ago. I had decided to take a new job and wanted to leave with dignity and gave my two weeks notice. My boss tried to get me to leave that day, she was so ticked off. I did leave a little early, with the agreement that I could take that time as vacation and get paid for it. I was a good employee to her and I’m not sure why she did that.

It’s a wonder why companies do what they do….(why I’m now unemployed…because at the heart of good companies??? A lot of no good…)

Jul 30 5:35 pm

5. Laura

I had no idea about non-compete agreements until I started interviewing for web design jobs. I couldn’t believe it, but most companies say straight-up in interviews that they refuse to let their employees do any web work outside the company. It’s pretty crazy!! Sorry you had to go through that. I had a hellish job-leaving experience last time, too. *hugs*

Jul 31 12:53 am

I was actually surprised when I interviewed that they would allow me to keep doing it- they said it was no problem, and several other people do work outside as well. So yeah… I’m not sure what changed but they suddenly had a big issue with it! :P

Basically as it stands now, I’m allowed to continue working for myself, but the thing they have the real problem with is the advertising. So I can do it, but not advertise. Which really ties my hands, but there’s not much I can do at this point. The non-compete is for 2 yrs after resigning. So I just have to get creative!!! There are a few networking things I think I’ll do to get started, maybe that will help?

Jul 31 7:41 am

7. Real nice! I can’t believe it. I don’t even really know you, and yet I know you’re the last person in the world who would try to cheat them out of business or do anything wrong. So screw them. You are moving on to a new and better phase. Keep looking ahead and everything will work out for you!

Jul 31 11:41 am

8. I’m really sorry that your transition into working for yourself full-time had to start out on this note, but I know things will only get better from here. You are awesome. I’ve followed you and your web pages since… forever ago (6? 7? years), and you’ve always been amazing! Good luck!

Aug 2 2:55 am

9. Darian

I’m sorry. I worked for en e-commerce company for 5 years.. I gave my two-week notice and 3 days later they basically let me go. They gave me 5 minutes (literally) to get my things together and they rushed me out the front door. BASTARDS..

I can totally relate. I somehoew don’t understand how companies work that way.. but who cares, I’m in a better place and you are definately in a better place working for yourself!!

Good Luck!