bring it, bitches.

My cats both just crapped themselves, I think.

Yesterday, I made a decision. I got out the Christmas tree and put it up. We didn’t put it up last year, since the kitties were little and we weren’t having anyone over, and really- it’s just us, we didn’t mind. But this year, I want to put my tree up dammit. It’s our 2nd Christmas in our house and I have yet to have a festively decorated tree in my living room. And, contrary to what those little furry demons think, this is MY HOUSE.

After days of talking about it and wondering and stressing about how they’d react to it, they barely even looked at it. Scotty was more interested in the box it came in than the tree itself. So I let them stay up from the basement last night and all day today while we were gone at work (the original deal was that they’d be in the basement when we weren’t around and the tree was up- something I know they will/would not enjoy after having the run of the house for so long)

When we got home today, there was 1 ornament on the ground. Now, I should point out that the tree is not decorated yet. It has a total of 3 ornaments and no lights on it. Those ornaments were thrown in another box I had out already, so I stuck them on until I have a chance to get them all out (if we even get that far…) One of them (we’re not sure which, but we have our suspicions) climbed up over halfway and pulled the little wooden mittens down, and a few of the branches were bent. But no harm, they’re made to bend, so I fixed them.

Just now, Dan came sneaking back the hallway very very quietly. He told me to come out QUIETLY. We did, and we saw two furry tails sticking out of the tree: one orange and one gray- and the entire tree was shaking back and forth. As cute as it was, I jumped out from behind the wall, clapping and yelling and jumping up and down. They took of in opposite directions and then in the same direction, down the hall and under our bed, slipping and sliding on the wood floors with their ears pinned back against my yelling.

Maybe I sent a message? Who knows. But the tree is staying up. The battle lines have been drawn. I will prevail!

1. Oh my god when Mewson was a kitten he climbed up the inside of our tree repeatedly and just DESTROYED IT and it made me cry.. I finally gave up and took it all down. Thank goodness he’s too much of a fat ass to do it now.

Dec 5 8:41 pm

2. Aww, poor little kitties. Ours knocked our tree completely over last week. Now our new puppy has taken to sleeping under the tree and so the cats don’t go near it anymore, lol. ;)

Dec 6 9:01 am

hehe, maybe that’s what we need to do- get a puppy to guard our tree! :) So the puppy doesn’t bother the tree at all? Impressive!

Dec 6 9:02 am

4. C

I think the last sentence should be I will prevail? With the question mark being the key to hopefulness :)

Dec 6 10:00 am

5. Ha, my cats were more interested in the boxes too. We just have a 4-ft tree up on a table and they can’t really get to it. But next year we’re getting a big tree and I’m sure it will be interesting. Our dog ate a felt ornament off our tree when I was little, and sure enough, the next day she pooped it out in the snow. Hopefully we won’t find any ornaments in the litter box!

Dec 6 12:20 pm

6. Judi

Jen: We couldn’t have a tree when our cat was a few months old, but the next year we decided we had to give it a try. We have this halloween ghost that shakes and makes a lot of noise when you clap your hands, so we put that under the tree and every time she’d get near the tree, we’d clap our hands and the ghost would do its thing and the kitty would run away. Weeeelllll, she finally figured out that Mr. Ghost sleeps at night and we’d come down in the morning and the tree would be destroyed! She has gotten better but just last night, we were playing “grab my hands” while I was trying to put the ornaments on. Bad kitty…

Dec 6 12:37 pm

7. This is actually a big concern of mine over getting a cat – I definitely WILL have a tree every year. Hehe.

Dec 6 1:45 pm

8. Corrie
    @iheartsnark

When Kovalev the cat (not to be confused with the hockey player) was a kitten she would knock off our stuffed penguin off the tree and hump it. It did not matter where we put the decoration on the tree, she would find it and molest it. Kovalev got fixed for Christmas.

Dec 6 3:41 pm